Confused by GP comment on blood test

Halfhybrid

I was diagnosed with prediabetes last year. My first blood test last year scored 48 and I panicked thinking I had full-blow type 2. A second test three months later showed it back down to 46.

I had my bloods tested again about 6 weeks ago and when I asked for the results over the phone, was told they are "satisfactory". Saw the nurse yesterday and asked her my exact results and was horrified to learn that I have a high cholesterol level of 6.7 and HBA1C level of 50. How can those results be described as "satisfactory"?

Feeling very low on finding this out. I just moved house about a month before the blood test which was very stressful and then found I had a chest infection which I think I've had for some time so this is the last thing I need right now. Thought I was doing OK in cutting out more carbs than usual.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum.
With regards to your HbA1c of 50 and your GP’s comment, I’m afraid it’s all too common. But having found out that it’s not satisfactory you can now take action. I hope despite the GP’s non action I hope your nurse has arranged all the check ups you now need to monitor your health. here’s a link to the useful info we provide to newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Undoubtedly the stress of moving and the chest infection will have raised your sugar levels a bit and I’m sure with modifying your diet you will see a lower result next time, which should be checked in three months.

Reactions: Gannet

Halfhybrid

Hi Rachox, thanks for your reply. I have a general health check next week so will ask the nurse some searching questions as I'm confused about it all (and scared).

If I am diagnosed with this, I will not be able to tell anybody as they will just go ballistic and make my life a misery and I feel bad enough and guilty enough as it is. But wondering if there is anything I can keep in my bag or something that will let healthcare professionals know, just in case I have an accident or something.

Reemap

Hi Rachox, thanks for your reply. I have a general health check next week so will ask the nurse some searching questions as I'm confused about it all (and scared).

If I am diagnosed with this, I will not be able to tell anybody as they will just go ballistic and make my life a misery and I feel bad enough and guilty enough as it is. But wondering if there is anything I can keep in my bag or something that will let healthcare professionals know, just in case I have an accident or something.
Welcome to the forum .. just a little bit of diet change and you can get a lower HBA1c .. just need to control your carb and sugar intake .. all the best for your health checkup and keep us posted if you need to know anything and someone will definitely get back to you . Hope you a meter at home to check your BG leaves ..

Reactions: OrsonKartt

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome! Why would your nearest and dearest go ballistic because you have got type 2?
If you've got it and intend to deal with it via diet and exercise changes (the only known way to cure the thing) then won't they notice in any case?!
Getting type 2 involves a fair amount of genetic vulnerability to metabolic problems like this rather than the popular perception that t2 is down to 'sloth and gluttony'.
Good luck with your health check anyway and yes there are medical altert type cards you could ask them for to put in your bag if discretion is requird.

Halfhybrid

Welcome to the forum .. just a little bit of diet change and you can get a lower HBA1c .. just need to control your carb and sugar intake .. all the best for your health checkup and keep us posted if you need to know anything and someone will definitely get back to you . Hope you a meter at home to check your BG leaves ..

Halfhybrid

Yes, I have a blood test kit thanks though my GP told me initially that I wouldn't need to get one (I got it anyway). I can see one drawback with blood testing i.e. I have tested a few times and the result has been good and I've then thought "Oh good, I'm doing OK" and have become careless with what I eat afterwards thinking it's all under control - and of course, now I know it isn't.

Reactions: Gannet and jjraak

Halfhybrid

Because I am overweight and have been so for many years. I also drink far too much lager which is probably more responsible for my weight gain than actual food. All self-inflicted.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I am overweight and have been so for many years. I also drink far too much lager which is probably more responsible for my weight gain than actual food. All self-inflicted.
Okay, here's the thing: weight gain is a SYMPTOM of prediabetes. It doesn't pile on and make you diabetic, it's the other way around. So there's that. And if you don't know that there's a metabolic disorder that is making you gain weight, the usual advice is to leave the fats and up the carbs. Which is the exact opposite of what someone with your/our condition needs: you have to cut the carbs and up the fats. That'll bring your bloodsugars and your weight down. (So yeah, that also means leaving the lager be. Wodka's still on the menu though. ;) )

I don't know who all would go ballistic, but this is actually good news. Now you know what's wrong, what the problem is, and more importantly, how to fix it. You have the tools now to save your life, both the quality of it as well as the duration. I can tell you that it's a whole lot easier if people around you know what's up and can give you support. My husband was invaluable, especially at the start, when I was in a right state and crying an awful lot. I'm down 25 kilo's and I've been in the normal range for 3 years now. Haven't touched a statin for my cholesterol in exactly as long, as that came down too, with low carb, high fat eating.
Things have been stressful with the move, the diagnosis, then there's an infection that will have driven your numbers up as well. That said, they are only just in the diabetic range: make a change in diet and you'll get out of the diabetic range and shed some pounds as well.

Just keep in mind this is a genetic condition, and thus, rather hereditary. (In some it is brought on by chronic steroid use or statin use, but mostly... It's genes.) If there are people who need to know, they really DO need to know.

Hugs,
Jo
PS: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own quick-start guide. I hope it'll help you a little.

Halfhybrid

Hi Jo, Thanks for your advice and interesting journey through this thing. In my case, nobody else in the family or extended family has ever had diabetes so I don't think there is a hereditary factor. Low thyroid runs in the family (I have it) but there is only one person as big as me in the extended family and she doesn't have diabetes.
My family are very nervy types and the world's worst pessimists and over-reactors. They would be concerned for sure but their reaction would be extreme so I'm better off keeping it to myself.
I will need to consult this site about food though. For example, I've recently started eating porridge for breakfast (no added sugar) but it sounds as though that is a bad idea rather than a good one (am I right?)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo, Thanks for your advice and interesting journey through this thing. In my case, nobody else in the family or extended family has ever had diabetes so I don't think there is a hereditary factor. Low thyroid runs in the family (I have it) but there is only one person as big as me in the extended family and she doesn't have diabetes.
My family are very nervy types and the world's worst pessimists and over-reactors. They would be concerned for sure but their reaction would be extreme so I'm better off keeping it to myself.
I will need to consult this site about food though. For example, I've recently started eating porridge for breakfast (no added sugar) but it sounds as though that is a bad idea rather than a good one (am I right?)

Okay, if that's the situation... You do whatever causes the least possible stress for you. If that's hiding it, hide it. You can always tell them you beat T2 and lost weight once it's all done, if you choose to. You can, for the moment if not longer, say you're turning over a new leaf and trying a new diet which your doc suggested or something, for weight loss. Just sort of forget to mention the T2 thing and flat-out lie about the doc advising it, haha. ;)

So, yeah, porridge.... Not the best choice. You want to avoid anything with grain/wheat/oats, rice, pasta, anything made with flour, so bread, rusk, crackers etc, cereal, corn, potatoes, and of course, straight sugars... I know that is going to be quite the adjustment, but it will be worth it, I promise. Just stick with meat, poultry, fish, above ground vegetables/leafy greens, berries, cheeses, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, bacon, olives, capers, extra dark chocolate, pork scratchings, that sort of thing. You're better off with bacon and eggs in the morning (or eggs with salmon, or high meat content sausages, or tomatoes or... No beans and toast though!!!), or just sticking with a big mug of steaming coffee with a lump of butter in. (I know it sounds insane, but it's actually pretty good. Especially if you stir it in with one of those milk wizzy thingies. And this is where you can tell I'm Dutch and searching for clues as to how to put something, haha.). Lunch could be a salad, cold cuts, cheese, stuff like that.... Dinner extra meat or veggies and no spuds/pasta/rice.

The whole diet is a bit of the opposite of what is usually advised for weight loss, so you'll get a lot of eyebrowns going up, which is why you'll have to decide on what to tell them, if you share a dinnertable. Otherwise they'll still stuff fruit, bread and spuds down your thoat, and you don't want that. Also, when you test bloodsugars, alternate between fingers. If you keep sticking the same spot it'll get calloused, and that'll draw attention to the little pricks.

I didn't realise I could be this sneaky, haha.

You're going to be okay. You're in good hands in this place. So even if you can't ask for support from your immediate surroundings, for the time being anyway, you have some place to go and vent and ask questions.
Hugs,
Jo

Edited by moderator to remove profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halfhybrid

Thanks for the food advice. It's strange but I have never been keen on grains even as a child. I don't even like porridge but was eating it because I thought it was good for me and a slow release carb. What about rye bread or is that a no-no as well?

The family will be all too pleased to help with the diet as they have been on at me about my weight for years. I can just tell them I'm trying to lose weight and eat healthily and they will be pleased at that and will help.

Your food suggestions sound do-able and they are all things I like, cheese too. But, can I still have the odd bit of milk chocolate and a couple of lagers at weekends (not every day of course).

(Coffee with butter - I've never tried that before!)

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Maybe they hid it. Being T2 is not shameful in any way you are not to blame. But even so you are under no obligation to share your diagnosis with any one except if a driver your insurance company and DVL if on blood sugar reducing medication such as Insulin so whether you tell any one is completely up to you.

Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks for the food advice. It's strange but I have never been keen on grains even as a child. I don't even like porridge but was eating it because I thought it was good for me and a slow release carb. What about rye bread or is that a no-no as well?

The family will be all too pleased to help with the diet as they have been on at me about my weight for years. I can just tell them I'm trying to lose weight and eat healthily and they will be pleased at that and will help.

Your food suggestions sound do-able and they are all things I like, cheese too. But, can I still have the odd bit of milk chocolate and a couple of lagers at weekends (not every day of course).

(Coffee with butter - I've never tried that before!)

Sorry, but MILK CHOCOLATE is not a good idea. Test with your Blood Glucose Meter, but you will find that dark Chocolate (if you must have chocolate) is the way to go. Preferably the 85% Cocoa solids or higher.

Eggs, Hard Cheese (it is lower in Carbs than the soft ones), fatty meat ., fatty fish, most Nuts (but not Cashews) and Avocados have been foods that I have increased.
Also if possible, choose a 'lite' beer - they have less carbs - it is the carbs you need to reduce, not the alcohol, so dry white wins, most red wine and spirits with a low carb mixer) are also OK.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Lagers not a good idea either, how about a glass or two of red wine instead? Much lower carb.

Halfhybrid

Sorry, but MILK CHOCOLATE is not a good idea. Test with your Blood Glucose Meter, but you will find that dark Chocolate (if you must have chocolate) is the way to go. Preferably the 85% Cocoa solids or higher.
Not cashews? W
Eggs, Hard Cheese (it is lower in Carbs than the soft ones), fatty meat ., fatty fish, most Nuts (but not Cashews) and Avocados have been foods that I have increased.
Also if possible, choose a 'lite' beer - they have less carbs - it is the carbs you need to reduce, not the alcohol, so dry white wins, most red wine and spirits with a low carb mixer) are also OK.

Not cashews? I've been eating loads of them thinking it's good to eat nuts. Are they fill of carbs? Oh dear. Eating and drinking doesn't sound very enjoyable suddenly ...

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Not cashews? I've been eating loads of them thinking it's good to eat nuts. Are they fill of carbs? Oh dear. Eating and drinking doesn't sound very enjoyable suddenly ...
Hi Halfhybrid,
Low Carb isn't for everybody. Nobody in here says that it is.
Also Low Carb covers a large range of Carbs - from around 130gms per day right down to Zero, which is also Keto.
We each (except Listlad) use our BG Meter in order to test our reaction to carbs and determine the best 'Way Of Eating' for our own body. No two people are exactly the same - I have a bad reaction to even a single raw Carrot where others can tolerate several cooked ones.

But ultimately it is up to you to decide if Low Carb is something worth trying for you.
Can you give up Bread, Pasta, Potato, Rice etc for Cream, Full-Fat Yogurt, Cheese, Butter, Red (and other) meats etc. ?
Perhaps if the only nut you like is the Cashew (the highest in Carbs) rather than Pistachio, Macadamia, Brazil, Walnut, Almond etc. then perhaps it isn't for you and so you may find it easier to try Intermittent or longer Fasting, or a crash diet (Newcastle or 8 Week Blood Sugar) if you can maintain your weight loss after ending it, or even Bariatric Surgery.

But you don't have to do any of these things. You can just follow the orthodox advice and medication route that has been proven to fail (slowly) for the past few decades. Ignore the NHS verified 50% remission rate (after 2yrs) of Dr David Unwin's GP surgery as your condition slowly gets worse, just as most GPs will tell you it must!

The choices are yours. Most GPs won't support you - they still think their jobs depend on sticking to the old tried and failed guidelines, and perhaps they still do! But still the choice is ultimately with the patient.

Reactions: jjraak

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi Halfhybrid and welcome,
You are in the right place for help support, recipes, and all you need to get yourself sorted, as you will have seen from all the replies. Yes stress does affect you BG we were supposed to move house in June, we started packing in March and put stuff in storage. Here we are in November we still don't have a move date ( and we are renting not buying) and we are surrounded by packing cartons. Stupidly we put all the things we thought we didn't need like winter clothes in storage first. My hba1c has shot up from 42 to 58 I'm eating the same and still losing weight, I test before and two hours after eating and am usually 4-6. I'm three and half years since diagnosis and am coming up to almost 7 stone loss.
So it takes time and you can't change everything at once, the weight didn't come overnight and neither will the loss but you do need to test before and after and keep a record along with what you've eaten to discover what does and doesn't affect your BG. I stay around 60 to 100g of carbs a day, and I'm losing weight and BG steady. Everyone if us here are on the same journey but we all do it slightly different to what suits us.
The other thing I would suggest to you is ask if your GP surgery uses an online system to book appointments, order repeat medication and view your records, they should offer it. Sign up immediately as you will find your test results on there a day or two after having your blood taken. You can see the results yourself, there are usually links to tell you what the test means and you don't have the bother of waiting to be told it's satisfactory when all that means is that the results have been seen by your GP and he's put no further action on your notes. It also allows you to see the letters that hospital consultants have sent your GP. This allows you to pick up on mistakes and discoveries. I have found that I have other problems that I don't remember ever being told about like osteoporosis going back 8 years, I've only been with my present GP 6 years and there's a summary on the system that you can view with all the dates you were diagnosed with. Having multiple conditions and medications this has been wonderful for when I have hospital appointments and filling in DWP forms.
So sorry if you've fallen asleep and not got to the end of this rambling essay, but you are in the right place and everyone on here will help you get a hold on this, no question too daft or trifling, we were all newbies once!