Confused newly diagnosed

Perminder1

Hi I got diagnosed type 2 March 20 very recently on metoformin 3 times a day and may massive diet changes cut out all sugar and processed sugar foods buscuits cakes and tall carb products etc also onily drink tea drop of milk and water...h number was 96 in March 20..was told not to worry about testing by my GP but managed to get him to give me a monitor been testing at home since about start if April 20 find my morning fasting numbers are around 5 to 6.5 max after evening meal before bed around 5 to max 7 ish...is that good any advise welcomed

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Should be! There’s a few A1c calculators on the net where you can enter your average BGL and get a rough estimate.

Reactions: Perminder1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With no idea of how high your post meal levels might be it is hard to even guess - but on 50 gm of carbs a day I went from 91 to 47 in 80 days without really trying

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I got diagnosed type 2 March 20 very recently on metoformin 3 times a day and may massive diet changes cut out all sugar and processed sugar foods buscuits cakes and tall carb products etc also onily drink tea drop of milk and water...h number was 96 in March 20..was told not to worry about testing by my GP but managed to get him to give me a monitor been testing at home since about start if April 20 find my morning fasting numbers are around 5 to 6.5 max after evening meal before bed around 5 to max 7 ish...is that good any advise welcomed
Off to a great start, but you really want to know what your numbers are doing around a meal. (Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If it goes up 2.0mmol/l or less, it was perfect) If you know that, you also know whether things truly are improving. If your fasting in the morning is anything to go by though, you're well on your way.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To keep track of your numbers, download the mysugr app. After a few days of fatal it will give you an estimated hba1c.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've already been given some advice so just a welcome from me. It sounds like you are on the right track with reducing your carbs so I think you should be able to expect a reduction in your HbA1c- well done!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also added- your instinct to test despite the advice that you don't need to was spot on. Testing is a vital part of reducing your numbers.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi perminder
I am in a similar situation as you, was diagnosed end of March 20 with a HbA1c of 90 .
Different medication Glimepiride 1mg lowest dose , not metoformin.
But with the advice from the members on here I have cut my carbs to between 30 and 80 per day .
I have tested every day at least once and sometimes more , BG readings at first were all above 10 and now range between 4.2 and 7 depending on food eaten and time of day.
Have just added my last 32 BG readings together and got an average of 5.9 which on a converter gave me an HbA1c of 34.6 a massive drop from 90 in two months. I know until I have my next blood test at surgery it is not certain but it gives me some idea of what it might be .
So keep up low carbs and take note of the knowledgeable members on here that is what I’ve done

Reactions: Buzzer81

Perminder1

Off to a great start, but you really want to know what your numbers are doing around a meal. (Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If it goes up 2.0mmol/l or less, it was perfect) If you know that, you also know whether things truly are improving. If your fasting in the morning is anything to go by though, you're well on your way.
Thank you

Perminder1

Hello and welcome,

You've already been given some advice so just a welcome from me. It sounds like you are on the right track with reducing your carbs so I think you should be able to expect a reduction in your HbA1c- well done!
Thanks

Perminder1

Hi perminder
I am in a similar situation as you, was diagnosed end of March 20 with a HbA1c of 90 .
Different medication Glimepiride 1mg lowest dose , not metoformin.
But with the advice from the members on here I have cut my carbs to between 30 and 80 per day .
I have tested every day at least once and sometimes more , BG readings at first were all above 10 and now range between 4.2 and 7 depending on food eaten and time of day.
Have just added my last 32 BG readings together and got an average of 5.9 which on a converter gave me an HbA1c of 34.6 a massive drop from 90 in two months. I know until I have my next blood test at surgery it is not certain but it gives me some idea of what it might be .
So keep up low carbs and take note of the knowledgeable members on here that is what I’ve done
Fantastic news welldone