Contemplating the future post remission . . . how long can I keep this up for ?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get heartened when I see sigs of members who have gone nearly 10 years in remission.
I'm aware of a few posters with blogs etc. who have gone 20 years plus.

Do you spend much time pondering the future ? I do
I'll be 50 in a few years so I'm wondering what role age will play on my beta cells.
Potential for exercise may decrease with age, that's always a fear.

I often wonder if there's a world record for a T2 . . . years in remission.
Fears of the unknown can weigh heavily on the mind in the present.

Just one more glass or red before bed then I'll shut up, promise

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get heartened when I see sigs of members who have gone nearly 10 years in remission.

I'll be 50 in a few years so I'm wondering what role age will play on my beta cells.

Wow mate.. There's some deep thought tonight. I can't think beyond next week?
Now, I've been pondering 2 T1s I knew personally. About my age. One got bitter & rather twisted in poor health.
The other.. I placed some hypo treatment on his "box" for the afterlife..

I'm head butting 53. I just try to work with what I got.

Keep running with your eye on the tape at the line.. Yer more likely to trip, if you look around at the other contestants.. ;)

Reactions: EllieM and LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yeah it’s great to see people have managed for the long term. I hope I can do the same. Tomorrow is my appointment to get an A1c, 1 1/2 years into this.

The only issue I have is walking past the chocolate chip cookie stall in my mall, the purposely pump the smell of chewy gewy chocolate chip cookies in the air. I stand in front of their shop and just breathe, some sort of cookie meditation. Then I muster up the strength to walk away

Reactions: EllieM

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am nearly 6 years in remission and I am already 74 so I think I should be ok. Something other than diabetes will probably cause my demise. The advantage of being able to get reasonable figures on a moderately low carb diet (80g a day?) is that it is an inconvenience rather than a hardship. I have a very varied diet and scope for a beer in the evenings. My dread is having to go into a care home, maybe if I embraced the pie and chips, and the treacle tart and custard, I wouldn't be there for long.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dread is having to go into a care home, maybe if I embraced the pie and chips, and the treacle tart and custard, I wouldn't be there for long.

That's one of my greatest fears too, especially after reading the hospital food thread yesterday.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I take inspiration from Dr Richard Bernstein. His protocol has effectively come full circle recently prioritising protein and exercise, and Type 1 Grit results also are an excellent proxy for what arguably easier technical management of Type 2 can be. I use "easier" with full respect to those who struggle and centre my comments around the mean i.e. those who respond to low carb / ketogenic inputs and obtain control of fbg, spikes etc.

Also other good proxies are cohorts in groups such as Zeroing in on health, there are loads of 10 - 20 year plus carnivores.

As reversal / remission of Type 2 and Type 1 tight control, is a relatively new concept via flat lining glucose variation, I think we just have to adjust to natural changes. Nature is going to decline our muscle mass, attempt to dwindle bone density and with just the ageing process taking its toll, everyone has these challenges.

I have already begun to train smarter to my age, rather than ego. I am putting my "chips" into what I call a clearance strategy. muscle clears glucose and improves fatty acid metabolism. I have been following what the smart ex-body builders / power lifters who have good health via their biomarkers and performance do (Stan Efferding, Mark Bell, Nsima Inyang, Danny Vega). My intention is to go less and less to ultimate weights / failure over the next 5 years or so, and back off on to more body weight and bands, with a reduction in food - as I overeat now.

Reactions: LaoDan

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 9+ years in mostly remission. It's a way of life now. I am 59 years old.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

At 7 and a bit years in remission my approach is quite simple. I try to do the best I can every day, bearing in mind I have to do it all again tomorrow.

When I first went into the remission range I sat down, did some thinking and set myself some parameters I would find acceptable. It's not always possible to improve, test on test. Aside from all else, life gets in the way sometimes, whether stress, illness, financial woes or whatever.

I have set myself a range of HbA1c scores I am content to run between, and similarly generally day to day testing, although I don't test like I did in the early days.

Much of this just becomes what we do. I try not to over think it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
At 7 and a bit years in remission my approach is quite simple. I try to do the best I can every day, bearing in mind I have to do it all again tomorrow.

When I first went into the remission range I sat down, did some thinking and set myself some parameters I would find acceptable. It's not always possible to improve, test on test. Aside from all else, life gets in the way sometimes, whether stress, illness, financial woes or whatever.

I have set myself a range of HbA1c scores I am content to run between, and similarly generally day to day testing, although I don't test like I did in the early days.

Much of this just becomes what we do. I try not to over think it.
Brilliant.

Reactions: AndBreathe

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although my DN finally recognised in May this that I am officially classed as being in remission I have had a normal hba1c for approx 8 years and will be 62 in a couple of weeks time. I have a lowish carb diet which means that whilst I still eat low carb foods I can occasionally indulge in a jacket potato or pasta.