Coping with this miserable existence

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i monitored for two weeks when pregnant and found they were fine - including wholemeal bread as long as I had something with it.

the extent of the help from the endo was to say to avoid carbs and sugar on their own and that it’s not as bad as diabetes, then sent me on my way. No suggestion of a glucose monitor, so I’ve just been going on symptoms.
Hi again, this endo doesn't have a clue about RH , what causes it or treatment, the idea about having as little as possible carbs, is to stop the rise in blood levels which then prevents hypos. To sum it up, and don't forget that my story is all over this site.
No carbs, no spikes, no hypos!
There is always an alternative to what you usually eat. Curry was mentioned, make your own, in fact, I never eat anything but fresh meat, vegetables (definitely not spuds) and I use animal fats, if I need to fry.
You have no idea, how this will improve your health. As I said before, if you are like me, at the time of diagnosis, I didn't have a clue and the shock of my misdiagnosed T2. I was told for over a decade to eat carbs, porridge, spud, beans, dressings and of course all low fat, low sugar foods.
This recommended diet was killing me.
Because it is rare, the establishment fall back on treatment for other forms of endocrine conditions and they are mostly wrong.
I use intermittent fasting and only eat between mid afternoon and 7pm. I find this gives me a clear run from no symptoms and because of full fat, when I do eat, I don't feel hungry., and because of this, my blood glucose levels remain in normal levels all day. My body and brain like this.
For my age, my physical health is really good.
All my doctors are really pleased with my health.

Have a look around the forum for ideas. As I said, I don't have carbs, I am in ketosis.
I don't need carbs for energy. My energy levels are really good.

Why I say fasting is good. You have a normal fasting blood glucose level. Your Hba1c levels are normal. Other than the symptoms you are getting because of the hyper/hypos. You might be able to fast. I can't tell you how I felt after years of brain fog, feeling awful, everything started to alter. Four days later, my body was changed, the brain fog went and I started losing weight. Symptoms went away.
But be careful it is really difficult to fast, like with everything, take it one baby steps at a time. Be nice to yourself, don't stop asking questions. You may think you will never control this, but, don't doubt yourself, there are a lot of success stories.

This condition is caused by food. This condition eating carbs will result in complications and a terrible list of symptoms that gets worse. And to cap it all, Type two with RH is not good!
You will still have to alter your diet.
There is no cure but as I've tried to reassure you with my story, you can live a normal healthy life, as long as you don't have carbs.
Be aware of anything food or drink that has been made in a factory, it will be full of industrial sugars and preservatives.

Cry18

Hi again, this endo doesn't have a clue about RH , what causes it or treatment, the idea about having as little as possible carbs, is to stop the rise in blood levels which then prevents hypos. To sum it up, and don't forget that my story is all over this site.
No carbs, no spikes, no hypos!
There is always an alternative to what you usually eat. Curry was mentioned, make your own, in fact, I never eat anything but fresh meat, vegetables (definitely not spuds) and I use animal fats, if I need to fry.
You have no idea, how this will improve your health. As I said before, if you are like me, at the time of diagnosis, I didn't have a clue and the shock of my misdiagnosed T2. I was told for over a decade to eat carbs, porridge, spud, beans, dressings and of course all low fat, low sugar foods.
This recommended diet was killing me.
Because it is rare, the establishment fall back on treatment for other forms of endocrine conditions and they are mostly wrong.
I use intermittent fasting and only eat between mid afternoon and 7pm. I find this gives me a clear run from no symptoms and because of full fat, when I do eat, I don't feel hungry., and because of this, my blood glucose levels remain in normal levels all day. My body and brain like this.
For my age, my physical health is really good.
All my doctors are really pleased with my health.

Have a look around the forum for ideas. As I said, I don't have carbs, I am in ketosis.
I don't need carbs for energy. My energy levels are really good.

Why I say fasting is good. You have a normal fasting blood glucose level. Your Hba1c levels are normal. Other than the symptoms you are getting because of the hyper/hypos. You might be able to fast. I can't tell you how I felt after years of brain fog, feeling awful, everything started to alter. Four days later, my body was changed, the brain fog went and I started losing weight. Symptoms went away.
But be careful it is really difficult to fast, like with everything, take it one baby steps at a time. Be nice to yourself, don't stop asking questions. You may think you will never control this, but, don't doubt yourself, there are a lot of success stories.

This condition is caused by food. This condition eating carbs will result in complications and a terrible list of symptoms that gets worse. And to cap it all, Type two with RH is not good!
You will still have to alter your diet.
There is no cure but as I've tried to reassure you with my story, you can live a normal healthy life, as long as you don't have carbs.
Be aware of anything food or drink that has been made in a factory, it will be full of industrial sugars and preservatives.

Thanks for the advice. If the monitor showed no drop after eating complex carbs - quinoa, sweet potato and wholemeal bread - do I still need to cut them out? My understanding was this impacts everyone differently to some degree, and some can handle a small amount of complex carbs.

Reactions: Lamont D

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the lengthy reply! I know there are options, my point was more that having to constantly think about what you’re eating and avoid all of the nice food is quite depressing. I would just love to be like a normal person and be able to have a pizza and brownie once in a while with no consequences
You and me both. I do feel your pain, honest, I do. It's not easy by any means, and I do sympathise.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the advice. If the monitor showed no drop after eating complex carbs - quinoa, sweet potato and wholemeal bread - do I still need to cut them out? My understanding was this impacts everyone differently to some degree, and some can handle a small amount of complex carbs.

For me yes, I've tried it all, but for you who knows? It would be about 5% carbs you could tolerate. I have tried all kinds of different complex carbs including German bread that was recommended, but even this caused a hypo.
Through all the time since my endo told me to keep a food diary, I had a period of testing, trialling, and recording everything down. then, my fasting and how I eat, means that only have to test pre meal and two hours after to see if anything has changed. You can adjust your eating to have food anytime you wish, don't keep to eating the normal meal times, please yourself. Your body will appreciate it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do diet drinks not have an effect on your blood sugar? I’m not even bothered about alcoholic drinks, just anything other than water would be nice.
I avoid drinks with aspartame in as it makes me feel weird, but no sugar drinks with sucralose are a lot more common these days, and they have no effect on me - I checked.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the lengthy reply! I know there are options, my point was more that having to constantly think about what you’re eating and avoid all of the nice food is quite depressing. I would just love to be like a normal person and be able to have a pizza and brownie once in a while with no consequences
Fat head pizza is low carb, and you will find low carb recipes for all sorts of baking on the internet.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply. Do you not find curries have sugar in them? I’ve been and avoided carbs and the next day I feel extremely tired, which is what happens when I have carbs / sugar.
I avoid the chutneys and masala dishes as well as the obvious carbs (rice, popadom, naan and the obilgaory After Eight). Not very adventurous! I stick to saag based dishes and don't have a spike from that.
Having just referred to Carbs and Cals World Foods it seems that there's up to 20g in curries so maybe some experimentation is in order or stick to tikka ? Its sad that chefs do sugar up sauces to satisfy our sweet taste buds.
I feel tired the next day but that is usually alcohol related and I accept it as a side effect of having a treat!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I avoid the chutneys and masala dishes as well as the obvious carbs (rice, popadom, naan and the obilgaory After Eight). Not very adventurous! I stick to saag based dishes and don't have a spike from that.
Having just referred to Carbs and Cals World Foods it seems that there's up to 20g in curries so maybe some experimentation is in order or stick to tikka ? Its sad that chefs do sugar up sauces to satisfy our sweet taste buds.
I feel tired the next day but that is usually alcohol related and I accept it as a side effect of having a treat!
Zero sugar in my curries, I choose low carb veges and chopped cauliflower instead of rice.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Low carb / sugar diet, I stick to complex carbs. I just want to be able to go out for dinner and eat normal foods without worrying.
Me too. But we can’t. If we want to live a long healthy life then we can’t. X

SarahTee

I wonder if I could make a suggestion. You mention that even when avoiding foods that make you feel worse, you still feel fatigued a lot, and wake up feeling tired even after 9 hours' sleep.

I'm guessing that if the restrictive diet was better at reducing your symptoms, you might find it a lot easier to follow. It's hard to be cheerful about limiting your intake of common foods if you are feeling exhausted.

Is it time to go back to your endocrinologist and tell them that the diet is not working for you, or that you may have another source of fatigue? It's all very well for them to tell you that you don't have diabetes, but if you are fatigued most of the time, that is taking a serious toll on your life, as well as on your physical and mental health.

Of course, you may not get a helpful response, but perhaps you can seek a second opinion.

(And there's always the problem of them fobbing people off with anti-depressants without doing a proper investigation or actually diagnosing depression.)

Tam123456

How do you all cope with the miserable existence that comes with reactive hypoglycaemia?

I was diagnosed with non diabetic RH coming up to three years ago, and I just feel miserable with it. I have friends with prediabetes and diabetes who can eat whatever they like thanks to medication, whereas metformin did nothing for me and the only thing that works is a restrictive diet.

I can’t enjoy normal things with my friends or family as I have to watch what I eat - going to the pub all I can drink is water. It’s just so miserable. I’m tired ALL of the time, I can sleep for nine hours and wake up with my eyes burning I feel so fatigued. I feel bad for my husband as it must be miserable for him as well with us not being able to do many normal things.

How do you all cope? Do you ever cheat and eat something you shouldn’t on the odd occasion just to get some joy out of life?

Tam123456

How do you all cope with the miserable existence that comes with reactive hypoglycaemia?

I was diagnosed with non diabetic RH coming up to three years ago, and I just feel miserable with it. I have friends with prediabetes and diabetes who can eat whatever they like thanks to medication, whereas metformin did nothing for me and the only thing that works is a restrictive diet.

I can’t enjoy normal things with my friends or family as I have to watch what I eat - going to the pub all I can drink is water. It’s just so miserable. I’m tired ALL of the time, I can sleep for nine hours and wake up with my eyes burning I feel so fatigued. I feel bad for my husband as it must be miserable for him as well with us not being able to do many normal things.

How do you all cope? Do you ever cheat and eat something you shouldn’t on the odd occasion just to get some joy out of life?
I really share your frustration- just back from a long weekend away and had to work hard to eat the right things. So fed up. My RH is worsened by exercise- even a light walk- after food so I found it so difficult to avoid hypos while sightseeing (walking) and getting something to eat. I can only eat a small amounts of animal fats (cheese etc) due to chloresterol problems which complicates it further. Good luck- it is good to know of others battling this too. Feels less lonely!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really share your frustration- just back from a long weekend away and had to work hard to eat the right things. So fed up. My RH is worsened by exercise- even a light walk- after food so I found it so difficult to avoid hypos while sightseeing (walking) and getting something to eat. I can only eat a small amounts of animal fats (cheese etc) due to chloresterol problems which complicates it further. Good luck- it is good to know of others battling this too. Feels less lonely!

I used to travel around the country and after waking, I would not eat until I was certain it would not effect me. I fasted and because I am able, it did not mean I had to eat. Having a choice of meal times and fasting gives you so much freedom and worry.
Of course, you have to be careful, it is the inflammation from too many carbs over time that can be the reason why your cholesterol is higher than normal. You can increase your animal fats to how it suits you, it is the very low carb diet that will enable you to lower cholesterol levels.
There is many ingredients that will impact on your control, some that you would never think of. I was advised not to cook in vegetable oils when frying the likes of eggs or fresh meat. I was told to eat butter instead of margarine or spread, I can't eat either cos of my lactose intolerance, but you get the idea that a lot of manufacturing sugars and ingredients are part of modern food. Would you believe someone had they told you, that you shouldn't eat bread, rice, pasta, cereal, oats and sugar is going to make you ill and have Hypoglycaemic episodes?
That group of so called healthy foods, cannot be with RH, healthy for us!
Stopping the cycle of Hypoglycaemia is the only sure way of being healthier.

I assure you, if you get the balance right, in a very low carb diet. The worry of eating the right foods will be easier for you. You just have to find that balance.