Correction Dose Not Working?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
Ok I'm so angry now it's been 2 and a half hours since my last correction and no change!!
Why what's happening!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I'm so angry now it's been 2 and a half hours since my last correction and no change!!
Why what's happening!

Maybe it's the insulin pen, have you tried a fresh pen?

Maybe it's because when you have high blood sugar you are more insulin resistant and therefore correction doses do just take a while to work?

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why what's happening!

I find a correction can take 3 hours to get going if I'm above 12 approx. My BS will look like its not doing anything at all, then it'll start moving down a little around 3 hours, then that speed will increase.

If you correct above 12 it will take a while, so don't correct again too soon else you could stack up a load of insulin which will suddenly start working and catch you out.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
+1 for try a fresh pen/cartridge, but beware of correcting too many times or you will hypo later on.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Why what's happening!

You need to give more information.
Insulin does not work instantly so be patient.
Also a lot depends on how high you were for a correction to be needed, the higher you are the bigger the correction (ratio changes the higher you are)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
As said you need to give it time. If you are on mdi beware of angry bolosing. You need to keep in mind anything that could have caused the high too. It could be bolus, could be basal, could be carbs. If it is carbs especially then it could be you're not seeing a drop because the insulin is stopping the carbs pushing you up at the moment. Good luck. x

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a correction can take 3 hours to get going if I'm above 12 approx. My BS will look like its not doing anything at all, then it'll start moving down a little around 3 hours, then that speed will increase.

If you correct above 12 it will take a while, so don't correct again too soon else you could stack up a load of insulin which will suddenly start working and catch you out.
I agree with this; from my experience the best way to get your correction working faster is to do a little activity after injecting it (e.g. a brisk walk/jog). Otherwise I also find it can take 2-3 hours to start dropping my levels.

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most rapid acting insulin has a working life of around 5 hours. If nothing happens in that time period, chuck it and replace with fresh.

I found out, after lots of head scratching, that less is more. I was often over-correcting highs and ending up with rebound highs as a result. Once I accepted that I needed to wait a minimum of 3 hours to notice changes, the issue was soon resolved.

Grant

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It really depends on how high you are when you correct i find.

If I am at 7.5 and want to correct to bring it back into the 5s the dose works perfectly. If I am at 12 and want to correct, it usually doesn't do much.

As our sugars rise, our bodies become more insulin resistant, so we usually will need an extra correction on top of our standard correction.