Correction Sensitivity Changes at night

MartinSci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am new to pumps.
Do you lower or raise insulin sensitivity at night to prevent hypos?
eg; Day time 4.5 night time 2.5. Would this reduce insulin input?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@MartinSci Your basal should be adjusted to minimise the risk of hypos at night (I say "minimise" because random things can happen with diabetes, so perfect control isn't akways possible).

iHs

Hi

in the day yr correction factor or isf is 1u will lower yr bg level by 4.5mmol which means that less insulin is used to correct you to yr bg target. During the night yr factor is 1u lowers by 2.5mmol so more insulin is used to correct bg, so the higher the mmol is, the less insulin is needed.
Confooosing isn't it?.... but you will get the hang of itb

MartinSci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@MartinSci Your basal should be adjusted to minimise the risk of hypos at night (I say "minimise" because random things can happen with diabetes, so perfect control isn't akways possible).
Yes I think I need to lower my Basal.
The Correction deduction was if we corrected with insulin before bedtime. But I still not sure if the number should of been higher not lower.

MartinSci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

in the day yr correction factor or isf is 1u will lower yr bg level by 4.5mmol which means that less insulin is used to correct you to yr bg target. During the night yr factor is 1u lowers by 2.5mmol so more insulin is used to correct bg, so the higher the mmol is, the less insulin is needed.
Confooosing isn't it?.... but you will get the hang of itb

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I think I need to lower my Basal.
The Correction deduction was if we corrected with insulin before bedtime. But I still not sure if the number should of been higher not lower.

I use my experience not any bolus or correction calculators, but I'm always cautious when correcting in the evening. In fact, I always test after eating so that I can correct earlier rather than later because I don't want to risk a nocturnal hypo. That way I can be pretty confident all will be well.

I know my basal keeps me steady overnight, and that gives me peace of mind too.

If you're a new pump user, it may be worth chatting to your team to get some advice and reassurance.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find that my mornings are the ones I have to watch out for. Between getting up and first eating, I'm about 1u to 5 mmol/l. Normally I'm about half that.