Cost of food now?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the £22 for all things or just food? Does anyone have any allergies/ special requirements apart from LcHf? I think I might be able to do this. Why is your budget so low?
You can feed 4 people, for a whole week, for £22? I am interested in how you can do this please.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m going to make a meal plan over the weekend. I’ll try to post next week

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to emphasise the need to shop around I went to a discount butcher's shop today and bought four lamb shanks, 1 joint of pork and a tray of twelve pork loin chops and the bill came to just over £15.
This will make eight meals for my family. If I had bought all this in my local Morrisons I think the bill may have come up to double that price. Sadly, this shop runs out of fresh whole chicken and chicken thighs/fillets etc by lunchtime so I couldn't get any.
I do wish I could get my veg from a farm shop on a regular basis but the few around here are quite a distance away.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is the £22 for all things or just food? Does anyone have any allergies/ special requirements apart from LcHf? I think I might be able to do this. Why is your budget so low?
On low income whilst unable to work and I was refused ESA. I've never claimed for anything before so haven't a clue whats available. I got some PiP not enough to live off.
4yr old may qualify for free rent but no guarantee.
I've worked all my life and this is my first major health bleep (weakness and bulging discs giving sciatica and numbness. Dizziness and extreme tiredness.) After bariatric surgery my gp might still need to investigate fibromyalgia if things dont improve. I'm so weak compared to how i was. :(. Walking or moving in pain is no fun and I have mild depression. Severe swellings on my stomach which progresses to painfulness as the evening draws on.
My morning meds routine stops my life for over an hour then again and again through my day.
I have 4 medical conditions that needs meds and attention. Food is needed to keep me well just as importantly as tablets, injections and inhalers.
I wasnt like this before insulin therapy!
So hoping after bariatric op it all goes. Or most of it. However my medical conditions are needing more attention before op date. It's constant.
No food or poor diet doesn't help me, in anyway shape or form. You?
Odd bits as well as food is often needed from that £22. Especially if kids are off and ive had to fill cupboard supplies the week before In readiness. Somethings have to run out to afford the extra food.
Bills are covered, clothing too but if needing a large item, I'm stuffed.
Xmas this year has put me in debt.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just to emphasise the need to shop around I went to a discount butcher's shop today and bought four lamb shanks, 1 joint of pork and a tray of twelve pork loin chops and the bill came to just over £15.
This will make eight meals for my family. If I had bought all this in my local Morrisons I think the bill may have come up to double that price. Sadly, this shop runs out of fresh whole chicken and chicken thighs/fillets etc by lunchtime so I couldn't get any.
I do wish I could get my veg from a farm shop on a regular basis but the few around here are quite a distance away.
I like this idea. I will try it out next week. Thankyou.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@ickihun, I need you to visit https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants

To see what benefit your entitled to. I am hoping that anyone who can help you, will reach out because this sounds like madness. Also pls speak to Stepchange regarding the debts. You may wish to see if you can also get a referral to a good bank but with these health conditions, you need help.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
I’m finding LCHF horrendous on the affordability front, but it’s done miracles for my sugars and general well-being so I don’t want to go back!

I’m allergic to mammal meat, poultry and cow dairy, so my goat butter is £1.90 a block and we all know the price of olive oil and avocados! It’s much more expensive to find enough fat, I’ve found. I can have oily fish, so there’s that, but don’t want to overload on protein. Goat, sheep and buffalo cheeses are also way more expensive than the cow versions.

I’ve got the holy trinity of almond flour, coconut flout and psyllium husk arriving this week, so will be trying some baking. But at £18 for the three, that’ll just be a treat.
Yeah I hear you healthy has never been cheap. Can you maybe stock up on what you can eat when it's on special?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah I hear you healthy has never been cheap. Can you maybe stock up on what you can eat when it's on special?
I always hoover up salmon and goats cheese when they’re reduced or on offer in my local Lidl! Husband usually passes Asda on his way home from work at just the right time for them to be reducing fish from the fresh counter and grabs what he can there. Sometimes for pennies :smug:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

To see what benefit your entitled to. I am hoping that anyone who can help you, will reach out because this sounds like madness. Also pls speak to Stepchange regarding the debts. You may wish to see if you can also get a referral to a good bank but with these health conditions, you need help.
Only debt is clothing account which I added 2presents to before Xmas.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

They give carbs and c^&*. Kids are under dieticians. I cannot feed them rubbish. Also A food bank is a one off offer of help. Two at most, which I might need when they mess around with benefits... as they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ive received my shopping and the fresh chicken is helping me.... A lot! Feeling more my positive self.
Food is a medicine!!!!

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They give carbs and c^&*. Kids are under dieticians. I cannot feed them rubbish. Also A food bank is a one off offer of help. Two at most, which I might need when they mess around with benefits... as they do.
You can go to a food bank three times in six months, and often more now universal credit is creating mayhem with payments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Sainsbury's today and lamb shanks were £4 each so your discount butchers is certainly cheap. It has become a favourite theme for TV chefs to extol the virtue of cheap cuts resulting in them not being cheap any more.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hing about cheap cuts is that often they need longer cooking times, and paying the fuel bill can already be a problem. I do get cross when recipes are hailed as economical, only to find I need my oven on for 8 hours, or need to buy a slow cooker or similar. Where is the saving in that?

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The hing about cheap cuts is that often they need longer cooking times, and paying the fuel bill can already be a problem. I do get cross when recipes are hailed as economical, only to find I need my oven on for 8 hours, or need to buy a slow cooker or similar. Where is the saving in that?
The device for economical cooking is a pressure cooker, but I noticed that my bills dropped when I got a halogen oven - the one sold on the TV shopping channel, it has a hinged top, far more convenient than the lift off one.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The device for economical cooking is a pressure cooker, but I noticed that my bills dropped when I got a halogen oven - the one sold on the TV shopping channel, it has a hinged top, far more convenient than the lift off one.
if i could afford either, i wouldnt be worrying about buying food this month. Cheap food isnt cheap if you have to use the food money to buy cooking appliances, even if they last a long time, you still need the initial outlay.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen slow cookers and fancy halogen ones in charity shops for a few quid.