Costa now using coconut milk

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hubby just told me Costa have started offering coconut milk as a alternative milk in all drinks. I don't use milk or cream in coffee or tea so have no idea if it's better carb wise or not - just thought I'd share :)

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hubby just told me Costa have started offering coconut milk as a alternative milk in all drinks. I don't use milk or cream in coffee or tea so have no idea if it's better carb wise or not - just thought I'd share :)
I don't often get time for coffee shops, but happened to need a quick cuppa the other day. I noticed the sign in Costa, advertising the coconut milk coffee option, but that was after I had already spent up on a regular Americano. I think I will treat myself later this week, as I love coconut milk, and I deserve to indulge myself now and then.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Stupid question but does coconut milk taste of coconut?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stupid question but does coconut milk taste of coconut?
About as much as cows milk tastes of cow.
Seriously though I think it is mildly sweet, with a not too overwhelmingly coconut flavour. It is a slightly thicker consistency than cows milk. Only way to know how it tastes to you is to try it.

Hotpepper20000

About as much as cows milk tastes of cow.
Seriously though I think it is mildly sweet, with a not too overwhelmingly coconut flavour. It is a slightly thicker consistency than cows milk. Only way to know how it tastes to you is to try it.
I love it in curries but not sure I’d enjoy it in my coffee.
Might have to experiment...... oh the hardship of having to drink more coffee. The things I do in the name of science.;)

Reactions: Happyhomelands
Type of diabetes
Type 2

Coconut milk (pressed from coconut meat) is similar to coconut meat as far as its nutritional profile—it is high in fiber, protein, richer than coconut meat in minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium and contains Vitamins C, E and B vitamins. Coconut milk is also high in plant sterols and calories from fats. These fats are also in the saturated form with high levels of omega-6 fatty acids.
28g Carbs in 100g of coconut milk.

Reactions: TIANDB

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at https://www.costa.co.uk/nutrition/Costa-ANI-data-January-2018.pdf it seems that they have a high carb low fat coconut milk!
Darn it. Should have checked this thread before having a coco milk flat white this morning: 9.2g for the takeaway (less for the drink-in surprisingly - thought they were the same size)..... It was ok but too sweet for me so I wasn't going to repeat the experiment. Certainly won't be now! Thanks for posting the link @ringi - very useful.

Reactions: Olufisayo

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had two while travelling, never again with that level of carbs. Real shame they don't have double cream as an option to put in a black coffee.

Reactions: shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth knowing about coconut milk - I went in Costa in Ludlow today and luckily had read the thread as would have been t3mpted by coconut milk but doing intermittent fasting so could only have double cream...so askedfor an Americano and queried double cream @vailability and surprise no fuss they provided a jug of double cream for same cost as Americano so my advice is ask at your Costa! It was a life saver today as was feeling hungry and didn’t want to break my fast!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worth knowing about coconut milk - I went in Costa in Ludlow today and luckily had read the thread as would have been t3mpted by coconut milk but doing intermittent fasting so could only have double cream...so askedfor an Americano and queried double cream @vailability and surprise no fuss they provided a jug of double cream for same cost as Americano so my advice is ask at your Costa! It was a life saver today as was feeling hungry and didn’t want to break my fast!
Thanks for the tip. Please does anyone else have ideas for places to get tea/coffee with double cream? I am consuming very few carbs, so this really matters to me. I don't like black tea or coffee, so have been obliged to carry cream with me on outings with my daughter, which inevitably take us into a teashop at least twice a day. I have bought some UHT single cream cartons at great expense on the internet, but they are so small it takes 3 or 4 to colour my drink satisfactorily. Before that I tried carrying a small container of fresh double cream with me. Well, you know what you get when you shake double cream about for long enough? I know it's very on-trend, but I haven't yet taken to putting butter in my hot drinks!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip. Please does anyone else have ideas for places to get tea/coffee with double cream? I am consuming very few carbs, so this really matters to me. I don't like black tea or coffee, so have been obliged to carry cream with me on outings with my daughter, which inevitably take us into a teashop at least twice a day. I have bought some UHT single cream cartons at great expense on the internet, but they are so small it takes 3 or 4 to colour my drink satisfactorily. Before that I tried carrying a small container of fresh double cream with me. Well, you know what you get when you shake double cream about for long enough? I know it's very on-trend, but I haven't yet taken to putting butter in my hot drinks!
I'd appreciate knowing too I did hear that Starbucks did steamed double cream but that may be in us think we need to ask as clearly they don't advertise it as an option no mention on Costa menu board but clearly they are asked a lot and supply it good luck let's hope we can add to the list

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut milk (pressed from coconut meat) is similar to coconut meat as far as its nutritional profile—it is high in fiber, protein, richer than coconut meat in minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium and contains Vitamins C, E and B vitamins. Coconut milk is also high in plant sterols and calories from fats. These fats are also in the saturated form with high levels of omega-6 fatty acids.
NOT very high in fibre. According to USDA, 100g of coconut milk contains only 2.2g fibre (for comparison, 100g raw coconut meat contains 9g fibre). It stands to reason, no drinkable liquid could really be high in fibre, though I suppose a smoothie could contain more.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd appreciate knowing too I did hear that Starbucks did steamed double cream but that may be in us think we need to ask as clearly they don't advertise it as an option no mention on Costa menu board but clearly they are asked a lot and supply it good luck let's hope we can add to the list
What does steaming do to double cream?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The "coconut milk" they are using have added soya, I assume to stop it separating when in the container along with making it look like normal milk.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before that I tried carrying a small container of fresh double cream with me. Well, you know what you get when you shake double cream about for long enough? I know it's very on-trend, but I haven't yet taken to putting butter in my hot drinks!

Would Cornish Clotted Cream travel better?

Reactions: Ultramum

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would Cornish Clotted Cream travel better?
Maybe, but would it dissolve well in coffee? And how does the carb content compare with ordinary double? I suspect it is higher.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Can I ask what your source is for the 28g of carbs/100ml?

The coconut milk I get from Tescos has 2.3g carbs/100ml.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295790303