Could a six year old be my weight loss motivation?

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The words you never want to hear coming from one of your kids classmates when you say hello to them is....."hello chubby"

I've lost weight and put on weight over the years and never get to where I want to be for long enough. There are reasons for that, not always eating the healthiest and a love of beer, usually on the days i'm not eating healthily.

I know I should have said something to the kids parents but I will just keep a close eye on the kid around mine in future as obviously the wee hurtful bit there already.

I wonder if this is the boot up the backside I needed as I never want my weight to impact my family and although health wise it could, feelings wise I don't want it to impact my child.

I'm a 43 year old male and hit 20 stone this year, have no real health problems so have no excuses. Doctors can't believe from look of me and stats that I am this weight so that's got to be a good thing.

Day 1 done today....but could this little child be the turning point for me? Here's hoping.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have our different turning point and it can be the tiniest thing that triggers it, mine was some grown women in their 50s sniggering when I got on a bus and it made me so self conscious and zapped my confidence to zero, I had always been a “nice” weight for 40 odd years then weight piled on with no explanation, then I was diagnosed with T2 a few months after starting to diet. My motivation now is my 27 year old son who needs a full time carer so I need to be here forever.

I lost a colossal amount of weight and still have a little bit to go that is tough to budge, it all starts with 1 step/1 day, you got this keep focused on your motivation it will help you in tough times

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The words you never want to hear coming from one of your kids classmates when you say hello to them is....."hello chubby"

I've lost weight and put on weight over the years and never get to where I want to be for long enough. There are reasons for that, not always eating the healthiest and a love of beer, usually on the days i'm not eating healthily.

I know I should have said something to the kids parents but I will just keep a close eye on the kid around mine in future as obviously the wee hurtful bit there already.

I wonder if this is the boot up the backside I needed as I never want my weight to impact my family and although health wise it could, feelings wise I don't want it to impact my child.

I'm a 43 year old male and hit 20 stone this year, have no real health problems so have no excuses. Doctors can't believe from look of me and stats that I am this weight so that's got to be a good thing.

Day 1 done today....but could this little child be the turning point for me? Here's hoping.
Ouch

But bear in mind kids just 'say' stuff to be funny/amusing/obnoxious/hurtful etc etc

However I do hear what you are saying...not nice to hear for You or for kids .

And a great reason to start taking notice of your health, if ever there was one

Good luck .

• Agree
Reactions: sue512

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We all have our different turning point and it can be the tiniest thing that triggers it, mine was some grown women in their 50s sniggering when I got on a bus and it made me so self conscious and zapped my confidence to zero, I had always been a “nice” weight for 40 odd years then weight piled on with no explanation, then I was diagnosed with T2 a few months after starting to diet. My motivation now is my 27 year old son who needs a full time carer so I need to be here forever.

I lost a colossal amount of weight and still have a little bit to go that is tough to budge, it all starts with 1 step/1 day, you got this keep focused on your motivation it will help you in tough times
Thank you for those encouraging words. I think usually my motivation fades and makes way for my love of beer and pizza. Not a good combination.

I'm sorry for your experience on the bus, that is nasty but you got yourself on the right path as a result and hopefully you always sre lucky enough to remember what changed you.

Brilliant outlook on life with your son.

• Friendly
Reactions: lovinglife

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ouch

But bear in mind kids just 'say' stuff to be funny/amusing/obnoxious/hurtful etc etc

Good luck .
Thank you.

My wife believes I can lose 4 stones in the coming year so it's all out to get to 16 stones which would be a sensational weight for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

My wife believes I can lose 4 stones in the coming year so it's all out to get to 16 stones which would be a sensational weight for me.
I started out a 23 stone and got down to about 14 at my best. Mainly by cutting out carbs. How do you propose to achieve your weight loss?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch

One of the most helpful motivators is to stick to the new regime, get the fabulous results that are just around the corner, and so spite all the people who are/were rude to you.

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I started out a 23 stone and got down to about 14 at my best. Mainly by cutting out carbs. How do you propose to achieve your weight loss?
That's awesome shooting.

First off diet. Calorie deficit for each day allowing myself a chocolate bar or bottle of beer if I want it....Outside of October of course as i'm doing sober october for MacMillan. Making most of my meals soup in the Ninja soup maker.

Exercise is a mix of cross trainer and swimming and got some weights to try and firm a little as i go.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
First off diet. Calorie deficit for each day allowing myself a chocolate bar or bottle of beer if I want it....Outside of October of course as i'm doing sober october for MacMillan. Making most of my meals soup in the Ninja soup maker.
Welcome to the forums.

I notice your profile says you aren't diabetic, but is there any prediabetes or T2 diabetes in your family? Most of us posting on these forums have diabetes in one form or another so need to watch our blood sugars. Low carb diets are very propular. (They tend to normalise blood sugar levels with weight loss as a common welcome side effect.) I'm not as sure of the benefits to someone who doesn't have blood sugar issues, though I can't see that it would do any harm. My partner (who isn't prediabetic but has many T2s in his family) loses weight and waist size) very easily whenever he low carbs with me (I'm a T1 diabetic).

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the most helpful motivators is to stick to the new regime, get the fabulous results that are just around the corner, and so spite all the people who are/were rude to you.
Sounds like a plan! Lucky i hold a grudge and would enjoy that lol.
Welcome to the forums.

I notice your profile says you aren't diabetic, but is there any prediabetes or T2 diabetes in your family? Most of us posting on these forums have diabetes in one form or another so need to watch our blood sugars. Low carb diets are very propular. (They tend to normalise blood sugar levels with weight loss as a common welcome side effect.) I'm not as sure of the benefits to someone who doesn't have blood sugar issues, though I can't see that it would do any harm. My partner (who isn't prediabetic but has many T2s in his family) loses weight and waist size) very easily whenever he low carbs with me (I'm a T1 diabetic).

Good luck with your weight loss journey.
Type 2 on my mums side but recent blood tests have shown no concerns as yet for me.

Low carb might be worth a shout as I know its carbs that has got me to this weight.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a plan! Lucky i hold a grudge and would enjoy that lol.

Type 2 on my mums side but recent blood tests have shown no concerns as yet for me.

Low carb might be worth a shout as I know its carbs that has got me to this weight.
If you put on weight easily then you could find that you can lose weight just by cutting down on the carbs.
I lost over 50 lb (I had stopped weighing myself in despair) when I went low cab to manage my blood glucose. I wasn't even trying

Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

NFW

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you put on weight easily then you could find that you can lose weight just by cutting down on the carbs.
I lost over 50 lb (I had stopped weighing myself in despair) when I went low cab to manage my blood glucose. I wasn't even trying
Carbs is defo the thing that hinders me. I do a fad diet called the James Duncan diet every year and I can lose weight very quickly on it. It limits your carb intake. It can get me 15-20lbs off in 3 weeks but is not sustainable.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs is defo the thing that hinders me. I do a fad diet called the James Duncan diet every year and I can lose weight very quickly on it. It limits your carb intake. It can get me 15-20lbs off in 3 weeks but is not sustainable.
The James Duncan diet looks to be quite high carb - so it is not really sustainable at all.
I have two meals a day and stick to under 40 gm of carbs a day. It is to control my blood glucose rather than chasing weightloss, but I have lost a fair amount of weight, and also inches, particularly around my middle.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: filly and jjraak