Counselling and Diabetes?

Should there be specific counselling offered to people living with diabetes?

• yes

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You asked!!! "Whats that & how do I find out?!"- lol!!!
Thank goodness we don't all have these probs!!!

Back to your topic. Whats your plans for todays battles??

Reactions: 2 people
J

Jonnyjibbsuk

We'll have to get my new pens today and while on route stop by friends office to print off the "Mind the gap" 2008 report and then off to see another friend in Westminster and get some ideas ...then lunch then home ..then sofa for afternoon of stargate lol.....

But have to start packing house up too ...have to move at end of month ....but hayho...with two walking sticks..starting now as feel will take some time loll

Reactions: 4 people

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have a shapes test to diagnose the slow transit Jess?
yes i did and had a similar result to you. Awful symptoms as like you I am petite in frame but looked pregnant. If I eat too much fibre or wheat I am in trouble.Stress aggravates it but avoidable most of the time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
yes i did and had a similar result to you. Awful symptoms as like you I am petite in frame but looked pregnant. If I eat too much fibre or wheat I am in trouble.Stress aggravates it but avoidable most of the time.

Exactly the same. Stress will still impact upon me. The worse stress I get us with certain members if my family but I have cooing mechanisms in place now after the last visit.
Fibre and wheat are chronic and again cause hell. So now avoided on a daily basis. Just an odd blip with the panini which really proved how bad things got.

Its nice to know I'm not the only one to be honest. Thankyou Jess for sharing as just to know another person has slow transit and the same troubles makes me feel normal!!!

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Yes thank you Jess - that was a brill to say

So really from this feed we can say there are a few areas that need some work and other that need. Attention now !!

Well good news .... In next few weeks I hope to be part of a lobbing group for policy change in regards to the care and well being of people after the discharge. Also will work directly with Whitehall again to look at issues.
Magic
Again watch this space for now

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Great news ... I hope to have meeting in the next week with the NHS Influencing Officers who campaign for diabetics

Ok we are on our way ... Time for the war paint lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We are trying to improve our local hospitals abilities on actually discharging patients with enough medication to see them through to an appt with GP and on discharging at reasonable times... Is it fair to phone up a patients parents at 3am in the morning to say their child is being discharged from a ward and can they collect???
Some of the discharge procedures are awful in hospitals.

The bureacracy now is dire with all the quango type groups like healthwatch, pgs, lpegs. Health & wellbeing forums, Cqc etc. All the different groups don't even talk to each other. For example... What on earth does a CCG Locality Business Support Manager do for a job??

Can you tell me why we hace Healthwatch and CQC with two layers of top heavy management in them when the could just be amalgamated and reduce stupid layers of excessive directors and management pay?

I know you refer to different aspects but honestly...since CCG's etc took over and rebranded themselves from PCT's the NHS has no direction at all.

Mental health is at the bottom of the pile for concerns...

My rant is finished. I think lobbying etc is fantastic but really how do you get a business to run efficiently or effectively when it is govt led? They need to look at businesses such as Amazon who has one priority... Their customers....they make huge profits and are not Crisis led.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Funding is always a problem and there's going to be a lot less of it coming our way.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Funding is always a problem and there's going to be a lot less of it coming our way.

Yes, so I undestand but really why do they not just amalgamate CQC and healthwatch etc.. They just waste so much money!!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of money gets wasted generally like DNas cancellations inappropriate referrals etc

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

This is a crisis ..and one that will grow with details out today with the forecast of how many people will get type one and two ....
So being able to make this a subject now helps.....I know it's hard with these Sod's from central gov....but that is not thr hard part ....

Getting them to see benefits of having full healthy diabetic across UK will cost less over all .....

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I used to be a counsellor and budgets are taken into account for where the training
will get allocated to .
Some counselling area needs have been withdrawn due to lack of funding and resources .
Sad but true fact ...

I would love to see counselling available for diabetics .
There are quite a few health related conditions that counselling is not provided for .

Reactions: 6 people

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must say having diabetes effects every fragment of my life to date. I had to unfortunately have a tooth extracted due to the root being rotten. I waited 9 months on an "urgent" waiting list to get it removed. I lived with a low grade infection for that time effecting my blood sugar levels and making them unpredictable. I had it removed by a surgeon who didn't want to give me any antibiotics!! I was immediately on edge and concerned but had to accept this. My fears were compounded when 3 days after the pain was worse than before and despite ringing for advice on the information leaflet instructions I got told take co codamol. There wasn't even a thought to infection with being a diabetic. A week on from extraction and blood sugars of 21.0mmol pre breakfast I visited my local dentist! Dry socket infection and I needed antibiotics. The dentist seemed shocked I hadn't been given any. Needless to say I'm fuming there are still parts of the medical profession knowing very little about this growing chronic illness! It's totally unacceptable when your in their hands and trusting they know what they are doing. Expert patient comes to mind

Reactions: 4 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw sorry for your experience Jess. It could be me but I find it's whether you get a person who has energy and passion to give good service

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. Yes I do think counselling is important and would help greatly. Whether this takes the form of support groups with occasional talks or a one to one service. Yes this site is excellent but meeting people face to face is always much more reassuring. We live in a "sickness so medicate" society and that is not always the best approach. GPs just don't have the time to do the counselling needed when people are suffering from the psychological blow that this diagnosis has. I have a very good GP who really cares but she's always running late and always fully booked - cos she does try to counsel her patients but her time is limited. Something family members can go to too as they are often the ones dealing with your depression and want to help. If there was such a group near me I'd jump at the chance. I would also welcome something to give to employers - they seem to be the worst at showing any sympathy at all. Both my sister in law ( a TA with T2) and myself (teacher, pre diabetic at mo) have been treated really badly by our Heads. I was even threatened with disciplinary action for taking an emergency GP appointment which meant leaving 10 mins before the end of the school day even though I arranged cover for my kids. This was the Monday after receiving the "letter" from GP with my results on a Friday asking to make an app asap. I was in a right panic having just had a period of time off work for a hysterectomy. No one had any sympathy for how I may have felt to be given this diagnosis so soon after major surgery if they did my boss hopefully would not have been so cruel in her comments.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm not quite sure how counselling is supposed to help with any of this.
Counselling for the depression fine but I honestly don't see why it would be deemed appropriate for diabetes.
Education would obviously be helpful in workplaces but then where does it stop .... cancer arthritis brittle bone disease and so on .... how much is an employer supposed to take on board?