COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks, I like the way CNN is reporting.
You might like this one, they have just taken a swipe at Trump with this bit in another CNN newsletter called Meanwhile in America.

Stephen Collinson and Caitlin Hu

'I love that world'
----------
Donald Trump is doing bang-up work fighting the coronavirus -- just ask him. “We’ve done a fantastic job,” he said on Saturday, before confirmed US cases of the virus soared to more than 550.

A botched response or a related economic slump could damage his reelection hopes, so the US President appears to be intensely focused on downplaying the problem and publicly congratulating himself. Over the last few weeks, he’s forecast infections on US soil will drop to zero, hoped for a “miracle” to drive the virus away, and predicted warm weather will kill it off.

He keeps praising himself for halting arrivals from coronavirus-hit China weeks ago, and claimed on Friday that he had "stopped" the contagion -- even though the virus is already marching across America.

The President’s self-delusional crisis management hit a bizarre peak during his visit to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention on Friday. First he wondered why he should let a cruise ship carrying some infected Americans dock in California, causing the “numbers” of cases on US soil to go up.

Then he embarked on a strange paean to his own supposed flair for science. “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. I understand that whole world. I love that world. I really do.”

Trump’s meanderings trash facts, but he’s playing a familiar game: He's creating an alternative reality to serve his political needs.

From impeachment to the Russia probe, he’s gotten away with it before, escaping scrapes unscathed and confounding his enemies.

And when things really get rocky, this playbook calls for pointing the finger elsewhere. Trump has already called the whole situation a Democratic "hoax." And as delays in testing grow more embarrassing by the day, he's found a simple solution: Blame Obama.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only just learnt that a sore throat may be a symptom too. I was assuming my sore throat and mild temperature was just a normal sore throat as I tend to be prone to them ( and I am sure that's all it is). Most news items mention the fever and cough and breathlessness but not the 5% of cases on Chinese who had a sore throat.

That's my situation too. Early Sunday morning, a week ago, woke up with sore throat, a slight nasal drip, but didn't check my temperature. On day 4 I slept more than usual and have felt fine since. When I began checking my temperature mid-week, it was only mildly elevated. It's weird. When I get sick, I go down hard. Not this time. Unknown sinus issue perhaps?

Woke with a really bad headache this morning, but it went away as I made my breakfast and had a cup of tea. Caffeine withdrawal? Yesterday, I allowed myself to have coffee for the first time in a week.

Tomorrow will be day 9, so I'm thinking I'm okay and should go to work. But I've already decided I'm going to do everything I can to protect my co-workers. Water and cold lunch brought from home and kept in cubicle so I'm not using refrigerator, microwave, or sink in kitchen. Will wash hands thoroughly each time I visit the bathroom.

This is crazy making.

Oh, and I normally have a sub-normal temp too. Mine's 97.5 F, not 98.6 F.

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Italians have already updated their Euro colleagues...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

upload_2020-3-9_9-57-10.png

My take:
The outlook looks pretty grim as it would be near impossible for most cities to scale up their Intensive care resources in time to meet the escalating demands the outbreak will bring.

The only other real option is to slow down the outbreak as much as possible...and flatten the demand curve...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Well above my statistical and mathematical abilities. I have no real idea what is being said other than it looks like the author has serious disbelief over the figures coming out of China

The bottom line is that the Chinese is painting their own beautiful, predictable picture. The world is not ready for the reality behind that beautiful picture...even though we have known it for weeks...

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At times like these I think it best to prepare to shelter in place while also giving consideration to those in our circle: family, friends, neighbors, community organizations and groups, perhaps co-workers.

My husband will be traveling again on business soon. It occurred to me tonight that if I get sick while he's gone, if I have cash on hand I could persuade my next door neighbor to buy fresh vegetables for me because she shops at the same food co-op as I do. I can stock pile all the other food items I might need ahead of time.

Other things to think about is who in our circle may need our help.

Just some random thoughts as I prepare to get some sleep.

Reactions: kokhongw

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the scoop on COVID-19 testing in Washington State...

Testing for COVID-19
Not everyone needs to be tested for COVID-19. We don’t currently have medications to treat COVID-19, so whether you test positive or negative your healthcare provider’s advice for managing your symptoms will be the same. In general, it is not recommended to test people who don’t have symptoms unless they are a close contact of a confirmed case.

According to the Washington State Department of Health, there are currently no restrictions on who can be tested for COVID-19 and commercial testing is becoming widely available. The test for COVID-19 through the Washington State Public Health Lab is free, and copays and deductibles have been waived. Healthcare providers may test any patient in whom they suspect COVID-19.

The following patients with COVID-19 symptoms are considered at highest priority for testing:

• Healthcare workers
  • Patients in other public safety occupations (e.g., law enforcement, fire fighter, EMS)
  • Patients involved in an illness cluster in a facility or institution (e.g., healthcare, school, corrections, shelters)
  • Patients with severe lower respiratory illness (hospitalized or fatal)
  • Patients older than 60 years
  • Patients with underlying medical conditions
  • Pregnant women
  • Patients with worsening symptoms
For more information about testing, visit the Washington State Department of Health testing webpage.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re symptoms I just read this

According to a report from WHO, as of February 20, 2020, based on 55,924 confirmed laboratory cases, typical signs and symptoms of COVID-19 include “fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%). “ [8]

who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re symptoms I just read this

According to a report from WHO, as of February 20, 2020, based on 55,924 confirmed laboratory cases, typical signs and symptoms of COVID-19 include “fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%). “ [8]

who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf
So why oh why don't the NHS tell us this info? I was under the impression that I was fine because I was producing sputum and all the NHS info talks of is a dry cough. I have 6 of those symptoms and like most people I am assuming this is just a cold.

Reactions: Winnie53

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing to remember whichever country you are talking about the daily confirmed CV cases are ONLY THE ONES THEY KNOW ABOUT. The more the figures released go up the more meaningless it becomes. There will be a tipping point number (1000 maybe) where it will become rampant. Some people will have mild symptoms, some will be asymptomatic others will be sick in their own homes, may need delivery of food, meds, doctor home visits but they will only be hospitalised in very extreme circumstances. Highly populated areas should be treated as priority I feel. I am trying to delay me and my OH getting it for as long as possible (in our 60s, diabetes and asthma) in the hope it will mutate to a less virulent form. Also we have a close family member with cancer who we cant isolate from because she relies on us.
I think Italy got it wrong, they dragged their feet and now their health system is in crisis and a high desth toll. I cant help feeling in the end it will be all about economics.
Just my personal opinion btw.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We got it wrong too. We could have quarantined everyone coming into the country before we had any known cases here. Too costly economically though: money seems to be more important than lives. Difficult to do too, but not as difficult as the situation we are in now that its too late.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also the NHS checker is woefully inadequate. There's a question which asks if you have been in close contact with anyone who has been confirmed to have coronavirus. How on earth do any of us really know the answer to that one? How do I know if the guy who coughed over me in the street last week is now a confirmed case, or if he has merely passed on his cold to me?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the above was from a wider article https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-mutations-vaccines-nitric-oxide-the-vitamin-c-connection/ which was an informative read covering origins, symptoms, mutations, nitrous oxide, oxidative stress and vitamin c

Thank you for that highly informative link @HSSS

I've been reading various info (from the hysterical conspiracy theories to more sensible opinion) about the potential for Vit C as a factor in reducing the symptoms and duration for COVID-19. But this is the best explanation I have seen so far.

The various studies in China using Vit C on COVID-19 patients seem to be focusing on the intravenous use of Vit C, which this article doesn't mention. But it still suggests that oral Vit C may help and explains why. Very useful.

Reactions: Winnie53 and zand

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also the NHS checker is woefully inadequate. There's a question which asks if you have been in close contact with anyone who has been confirmed to have coronavirus. How on earth do any of us really know the answer to that one? How do I know if the guy who coughed over me in the street last week is now a confirmed case, or if he has merely passed on his cold to me?
Very true. I do wonder if the high death rate in Italy (which they are attributing to a high population of older people) is because they ran out of hospital beds for all who needed rhem. It would be interesting to know the split of dying at home and in hospital. That scenario is possible in any country. Bwe should be learning lessons of how it got out of control so fast in Italy but not how they handled it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I say “we” I mean our Government who love spending time talking about it rather than doing something. Bojo is making a fool of himself washing hands putting liquid soap on before turning on the tap, sympathising with “the victim and his family” shaking hands with all and sundry at the rugby. The lack of 60% alcohol hand gel is another thing they should be prioritising. Try finding clean handwashing facilities when you are out and about after touching surfaces etc on public transport going to/from work. I feel for people crammed in on buses and the tube.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the system is already under strain. This article outlines thinking around surgeries making greater use of digital consultations. My own surgery seems to have adopted it - having spent a long time just getting through on the ‘phone this morning, I was informed that they weren’t offering appointments, just phone calls: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ch-to-remote-consultations-to-combat-covid-19

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the scoop on COVID-19 testing in Washington State...

Testing for COVID-19
Not everyone needs to be tested for COVID-19. We don’t currently have medications to treat COVID-19, so whether you test positive or negative your healthcare provider’s advice for managing your symptoms will be the same. In general, it is not recommended to test people who don’t have symptoms unless they are a close contact of a confirmed case.

According to the Washington State Department of Health, there are currently no restrictions on who can be tested for COVID-19 and commercial testing is becoming widely available. The test for COVID-19 through the Washington State Public Health Lab is free, and copays and deductibles have been waived. Healthcare providers may test any patient in whom they suspect COVID-19.

The following patients with COVID-19 symptoms are considered at highest priority for testing:

• Healthcare workers
  • Patients in other public safety occupations (e.g., law enforcement, fire fighter, EMS)
  • Patients involved in an illness cluster in a facility or institution (e.g., healthcare, school, corrections, shelters)
  • Patients with severe lower respiratory illness (hospitalized or fatal)
  • Patients older than 60 years
  • Patients with underlying medical conditions
  • Pregnant women
  • Patients with worsening symptoms
For more information about testing, visit the Washington State Department of Health testing webpage.
Testing is also important to compile statistics to help with global and regional planning.