COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could just one of these darned (pre moderating myself here!) health advice pages be just a tad more specific, considering it is medical people offering the advice.

Type 1, type 2 or both? Considering the causes and issues are quite different is that relevant ?

Those with poor control and complications or all of us regardless?

I don’t tweet but surely someone somewhere is asking the same thing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone way back in this thread said thermometers would be the next thing to be out of stock.

Last night I advised my friend she needs a thermometer as she has lung disease. She immediately went on-line to the main Boots website. All sold out.

Reactions: Bill_St and jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is that our blood sugar levels rise when we are ill. It's a fact. We can only do our best, but thinking well controlled equals not at higher risk doesn't seem sensible to me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Early days yet. I have cancelled my visit to an elderly aunt and also my grandson's visit to me. I would have done that with a cold anyway.
I'll be checking forum more whilst kids are AT school. Once they close I'm hugely distracted with mainly little one. He climbs the walls if not out for activities, of any kind. I'm sure we will get to that stage.... now Italy became so infected. How I'll entertain him will be harder than sick attending even at night. Times like this I wish i had a bigger house. The bungalow is mainly open plan but gardens are ample IF NO WIND. Today here it's wild. I must do some toys/game purchasing in these preemptive times. He's birthday is soon so I'd best incorporate it all. Poor thing. Myself I was happy with books.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The thing is that our blood sugar levels rise when we are ill. It's a fact. We can only do our best, but thinking well controlled equals not at higher risk doesn't seem sensible to me.
Well controlled helps with recovery more than risk of getting any virus. Recovery uncomplicated... leads to less deaths.

Myself I've never caught anything BECAUSE OF being diabetic but hv suffered longer and then at risk of complications because of having an illness/virus or another disease. All my life.
Healing from ops are a huge risk without good control.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We ask for information re T1/T2
All we will get is mixed messages :(

What Should Someone with T1D Know about Having a Viral Illness?
  1. People with T1D are not more at-risk of coming down with COVID-19.
  • According to several physicians whose expertise includes T1D, people with T1D are not more susceptible to coming down with COVID-19.
  • While the CDC recommends that everyone pay close attention to COVID-19 risks, people with T1D who also have compromised immune systems (such as those with renal failure) should be diligent about taking measures to reduce risk. People with compromised immune systems are generally at a higher risk of contracting a variety of infections—including but not limited to COVID-19–and becoming seriously ill. ”
https://www.jdrf.org/coronavirus/

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And then there's the situation when one family member is high risk, but other family members have to go to work.

We can all only do our best.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone way back in this thread said thermometers would be the next thing to be out of stock.

Last night I advised my friend she needs a thermometer as she has lung disease. She immediately went on-line to the main Boots website. All sold out.
We didn't have a thermometer so I thought I would order one. All makes I had heard of were sold out. Ordered a Braun one from Portugal, apparently it is on its way - fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I already have a thermometer, but haven't used it for quite a while.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And then there's the situation when one family member is high risk, but other family members have to go to work.

We can all only do our best.

I used the NHS checker. I haven't been to any of the countries mentioned, I have no visible symptoms, so nothing needs to be done.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
THis
HEALTH AND SCIENCE
CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 9 20206:15 PM EDTUPDATED 3 HOURS AGO
Dawn Kopecki@DAWN_KOPECKI
Noah Higgins-Dunn@HIGGINSDUNN

Hannah Miller

KEY POINTS
  • The CDC is expanding its guidance for people at extreme risk of serious illness, like those over 60 or with underlying health conditions.
  • Those over the age of 60 should start stocking up on enough groceries and medications to have on hand, the CDC said.
  • Those at greatest risk of serious illness should stay home as much as possible if COVID-19 comes to their community, the CDC said.
104237216-RTSNYTA.jpg

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.
Tami Chappell | Reuters

Many Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.

“This virus is capable of spreading easily and sustainably from person to person ... and there’s essentially no immunity against this virus in the population,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call, citing World Health Organization data that studied more than 70,000 cases in China.

“It’s fair to say that, as the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the United States will at some point in time, either this year or next, be exposed to this virus and there’s a good chance many will become sick,” she said. Most people won’t develop serious symptoms, but 15% to 20% of the people who are exposed to the virus get severely sick, she said.

Of the 70,000 cases WHO scientists looked at, only about 2% were in people younger than 19. The odds of developing COVID-19 increase with age, starting at age 60. It’s especially lethal for people over 80.

“This seems to be a disease that affects adults and most seriously older adults,” she said. “Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age.”

People with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and other serious underlying conditions are more likely to develop “serious outcomes, including death,” she said.

The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” she said. The U.S. government recommended travelers with underlying health conditions avoid taking any cruises anywhere in the world. “We also recommend people at higher risk avoid non-essential travel, such as long plane trips,” she said.

106413608-contagion1.jpg

WATCH NOW
VIDEO02:06
What you need to know about travel insurance as coronavirus spreads

The CDC is recommending that people at higher risk avoid crowds, touching “high-touch” surfaces in public areas and close contact with people who are sick.

“These are the kind of recommendations that I’ve made to my parents ... other staff at CDC are doing the same,” she said.

While the virus is slowing in China where it originated in December, it’s picking up pace across other parts of the world. Italy has the most cases outside of China with more than 9,100 infections, followed by Korea and Iran, which each had more than 7,100 COVID-19 cases as of Monday afternoon, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

In the U.S., cases erupted over the last week to more than 600 infected and 22 killed, according to John Hopkins University. Almost half of the more than 600 cases in the U.S. are in Washington state and California, with 19 deaths across the U.S.California, Washington and New York, although the virus has now spread to more than 30 states across the U.S.

“During an outbreak with a new virus there is a lot of uncertainty. Our guidelines and recommendations are likely to be interim and subject to change as we learn more,” she said. In South Korea, no one under the age of 30 has died and in Japan, no one under 50 has died, she said. “Data from these countries help us understand the potential risk in the U.S.”

106422636-1583263886028rts34g8x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill_St
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
THis
HEALTH AND SCIENCE
CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 9 20206:15 PM EDTUPDATED 3 HOURS AGO
Dawn Kopecki@DAWN_KOPECKI
Noah Higgins-Dunn@HIGGINSDUNN

Hannah Miller

KEY POINTS
  • The CDC is expanding its guidance for people at extreme risk of serious illness, like those over 60 or with underlying health conditions.
  • Those over the age of 60 should start stocking up on enough groceries and medications to have on hand, the CDC said.
  • Those at greatest risk of serious illness should stay home as much as possible if COVID-19 comes to their community, the CDC said.
104237216-RTSNYTA.jpg

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.
Tami Chappell | Reuters

Many Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.

“This virus is capable of spreading easily and sustainably from person to person ... and there’s essentially no immunity against this virus in the population,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call, citing World Health Organization data that studied more than 70,000 cases in China.

“It’s fair to say that, as the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the United States will at some point in time, either this year or next, be exposed to this virus and there’s a good chance many will become sick,” she said. Most people won’t develop serious symptoms, but 15% to 20% of the people who are exposed to the virus get severely sick, she said.

Of the 70,000 cases WHO scientists looked at, only about 2% were in people younger than 19. The odds of developing COVID-19 increase with age, starting at age 60. It’s especially lethal for people over 80.

“This seems to be a disease that affects adults and most seriously older adults,” she said. “Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age.”

People with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and other serious underlying conditions are more likely to develop “serious outcomes, including death,” she said.

The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” she said. The U.S. government recommended travelers with underlying health conditions avoid taking any cruises anywhere in the world. “We also recommend people at higher risk avoid non-essential travel, such as long plane trips,” she said.

106413608-contagion1.jpg

WATCH NOW
VIDEO02:06
What you need to know about travel insurance as coronavirus spreads

The CDC is recommending that people at higher risk avoid crowds, touching “high-touch” surfaces in public areas and close contact with people who are sick.

“These are the kind of recommendations that I’ve made to my parents ... other staff at CDC are doing the same,” she said.

While the virus is slowing in China where it originated in December, it’s picking up pace across other parts of the world. Italy has the most cases outside of China with more than 9,100 infections, followed by Korea and Iran, which each had more than 7,100 COVID-19 cases as of Monday afternoon, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

In the U.S., cases erupted over the last week to more than 600 infected and 22 killed, according to John Hopkins University. Almost half of the more than 600 cases in the U.S. are in Washington state and California, with 19 deaths across the U.S.California, Washington and New York, although the virus has now spread to more than 30 states across the U.S.

“During an outbreak with a new virus there is a lot of uncertainty. Our guidelines and recommendations are likely to be interim and subject to change as we learn more,” she said. In South Korea, no one under the age of 30 has died and in Japan, no one under 50 has died, she said. “Data from these countries help us understand the potential risk in the U.S.”

106422636-1583263886028rts34g8x.jpg

Some links tell us not to worry, it shouldn't affect those with diabetes, then up pop's another one, like this one, who says the opposite, no wonder people are confused !! I will carry on what I am doing, until I am told otherwise.

Reactions: Stuarthmfc

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am going to work. Work is cool and has said that we can self quarantine if symptomatic or having travelled back from hot zones but I'd feel like a fraud if I did that because although I am type 1 but have a belting immune system. If I get the symptoms then I won't want to infect anyone else vlunerable so will stay home and ride it out in the company of I player/Netflix. I haven't stockpiled because that just causes shortages and I do have enough body fat to live off provided I've got coffee!
Viruses like sugar so I think this is where the risk comes from.
Humans like certainty hence all this anxiety in the face of blatant uncertainty.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Channel 4, 7 pm, 10/3/20 Corona virus update, with a piece about people with existing medical conditions.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was bacteria that likes sugar..?
I don't think a virus is that bothered

As for work, , damned if you do . Damned if you don't

Reactions: ickihun

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I'm currently vascillating between panic and fatalism. Reading the Italian stuff has really put the wind up me because my lung condition makes me one of the most vulnerable. I also have an advanced health directive in place that specifically includes DNR and DNI. I'm not second guessing that decision, but it's making it a lot more real than it has been up till now.

One of the Italian doctors referred to CT results on affected patients as uniformly “bilateral interstitial pneumonia”, a term that has very strong and frightening associations for those of us with IPF/UIP (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis/Usual Interstitial Pneumonitis). The other worrying aspect mentioned by one of the docs is that since we don't know about long term effects, even if one manages to survive the medical treatment (which can be ventilation/heart-lung bypass) for the virus, there is possibility of long term further lung damage as can occur with SARS and other respiratory viruses.

My current plan is keeping myself as isolated as possible for as long as possible. Online grocery shopping sounds safer than going out to shop. I’m even wondering about my weekly pulmonary rehab as the sessions take place in a community health centre where a number of people of all ages congregate and present for appointments for all sorts of medical conditions. I’m beginning to think the risks probably outweigh the benefits for the foreseeable future.

These front line stories have been a massive reality check for me.
My view is that it's impossible to lead a life without taking risks. Never leave your house and you will never die in a car accident, but a plane could fall on your house tomorrow. This virus has been around for months, yet only a tiny proportion of the worlds population has been infected. None of the experts expects it to be anywhere near as bad as the Spanish flu pandemic in 1919 and the vast majority of the population didn't get infected then. We diabetics are at a slightly greater risk than the general population and those of us who have other conditions, at even greater risk. BUT, these viruses are so easily passed on that it is almost impossible to avoid all risk of getting them. I have stopped worrying as it's pointless. I wash my hands more often and I try not to touch my face until I have washed my hands, but I have no intention of living as a hermit until the danger is passed. If I get it and I die then you can all say I told you so. On the other hand, a plane may fall on my house. We never know what is around the corner and it's plain daft to lead your life terrified of things which may never happen.

Reactions: ickihun