COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where is the terrifying emoji? So even well controlled, uncomplicated t2 in excellent health other than the virus will be left to fight it alone if it gets to the state it has in Italy if this is a full and accurate account. I’m becoming torn between stopping reading about this because the anxiety it is creating is increasing, perhaps unreasonably, and a need to take in all I can to feel some (false) semblance of control

That is triage.
Or Three Wise Men protocol.
We do need to keep up with the Information - only way to avoid Panic.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Debandez, I can't get my head around these descriptions of what's happening. We were talking today at the office about how none of us have experienced anything like this in our lifetime.

I feel its sureal. In my home town you wouldn't know there was anything happening. Business as usual. Then you put the news on or turn to Google and its armageddon! That said this time 2 weeks ago Italy had a hand full of cases!
They do have an aging population which I think is one of the reasons so many are dying. And their traditional greetings wont have helped. I'm about to enter sainsburys to get a few bits. I'm not sure what to expect but will report back later ;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here I am in the biggest sainsburys in Europe. All shelves fully stocked up. No panic buying. I'm in the cafe having an omelette. Meeting my daughter shortly. In the queue I was sandwiched between an Italian and a lady blowing her nose. Didnt know whether to laugh or cry :) followed instructions down on escalator to hold handrail!!! Then quickly let go. Had to touch my tray my cutlery, condiments. So I've decided to just go about my business and do the best I can for me and my family. And focus on for majority it's just mild.

Reactions: jjraak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we need to accept that our own actions are going to be the biggest factor in exposure to the virus.

Just had a routine appt at my local doctor's surgery (BP and blood test).
The electronic check in screen was up and running. I queried this with the receptionist by saying 'Are you still using this?'
She looked blank and said 'yes, just follow the instructions on the screen.'
So then used my knuckle, not my fingertip, and looked around for an anti-bac gel to use to disinfect my hands afterwards.
No sign of one.
I had to walk back to the main doorway to use that one.

Later, after my appt I used the anti-bac again, since I had touched door handle and chair arms during my appt. Then went through to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription.
Their anti-bac dispenser was broken.
The staff at the tills were handling money, the card dispenser, my payment card, and then moving on to the next customer as usual.
I left, via the main door, and used the anti-bac again.
Then washed my hands thoroughly as soon as I got home.

Considering this experience I do not feel that the surgery or the pharmacy are taking adequate precautions - but I am confident that I did.

Reactions: ickihun and Indy51

lindisfel

Expert
Just be happy the virus has not affected many yet and its unlikely you have caught anything noxious.

But its an object lesson for all our futures.

I have to go shopping at least once a week and thats all. I am not going into gatherings of people at 80 with an impaired immunity. I am also looking after my wife 3 weeks after a new hip, I have to stay well for her sake.
regards
Derek
Well here I am in the biggest sainsburys in Europe. All shelves fully stocked up. No panic buying. I'm in the cafe having an omelette. Meeting my daughter shortly. In the queue I was sandwiched between an Italian and a lady blowing her nose. Didnt know whether to laugh or cry :) followed instructions down on escalator to hold handrail!!! Then quickly let go. Had to touch my tray my cutlery, condiments. So I've decided to just go about my business and do the best I can for me and my family. And focus on for majority it's just mild.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so easy when you are asthmatic, over 60 (classed as elderly in the context of coronavirus but not in the context of state pension age!) and have T2. Someone coughed and sneezed over me last week ( a fit and healthy youngster going about their business knowing that if they get coronavirus they won't be badly affected) now I have a heavy cold and chest infection. I can hardly breathe. I am weak and I'm pretty sure this is just a cold. Even a cold isn't mild for me. If I became one of the statistics the majority would say ' well she was old and ill' . I feel like my life doesn't matter. I wish the young and healthy would think that one day they may be sitting on the same side of the fence as me.

Reactions: Bill_St

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not so easy when you are asthmatic, over 60 (classed as elderly in the context of coronavirus but not in the context of state pension age!) and have T2. Someone coughed and sneezed over me last week ( a fit and healthy youngster going about their business knowing that if they get coronavirus they won't be badly affected) now I have a heavy cold and chest infection. I can hardly breathe. I am weak and I'm pretty sure this is just a cold. Even a cold isn't mild for me. If I became one of the statistics the majority would say ' well she was old and ill' . I feel like my life doesn't matter. I wish the young and healthy would think that one day they may be sitting on the same side of the fence as me.

" it's just Flu,".. may kill more of us then this virus has a right to

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we need to accept that our own actions are going to be the biggest factor in exposure to the virus.

Just had a routine appt at my local doctor's surgery (BP and blood test).
The electronic check in screen was up and running. I queried this with the receptionist by saying 'Are you still using this?'
She looked blank and said 'yes, just follow the instructions on the screen.'
So then used my knuckle, not my fingertip, and looked around for an anti-bac gel to use to disinfect my hands afterwards.
No sign of one.
I had to walk back to the main doorway to use that one.

Later, after my appt I used the anti-bac again, since I had touched door handle and chair arms during my appt. Then went through to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription.
Their anti-bac dispenser was broken.
The staff at the tills were handling money, the card dispenser, my payment card, and then moving on to the next customer as usual.
I left, via the main door, and used the anti-bac again.
Then washed my hands thoroughly as soon as I got home.

Considering this experience I do not feel that the surgery or the pharmacy are taking adequate precautions - but I am confident that I did.

Entirely agree.

It WILL be the little things WE can do that have the most impact.
and those who SHOULD be more aware need to start thinking WHAT would help.

same for me at docs..No notice to say one door not working, so you have to (well it's murphys law isn't it) to pull both to get in.
hand gel on wall inside reception, but on way out TWO sets of doors..but that's ok they are button operated for the less abled..slow but do work....and we touch them with WHAT ???

the lift thing in korea, a polystyrene board with tooth picks pushed in, for the pressing of buttons..and a bin for the used toothpicks
simple effective

simply thoughtful approach to all we do now, will pay dividends in the weeks to come.

think most offices and firms, certainly doctors should be doing risk assessments to see what THEY can do to prevent as much as possible..

after all if one gets it in an office, potentially we all go home for 14 days..which might suit some.

And then in 14 days it's all good so we troop back to work..but then OMG someone else comes down with it, so we all once again go home for 14 days, etc etc...

THAT is what will make offices take this seriously
IF they have to pay us for not being there, while producing nothing and making no profit yet still paying wage bills etc
and if they stop paying us for not being there, because they are going under,and can't afford the wage bills etc as they begin making a loss.
that might make others enforce the No touch rule..maybe.

we are in a world of changes that many will have to adopt like it or not.
IF we get the 2nd wave come winter,some suggest if we have no vaccine.

Last edited:

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even the Daily Mail has found this - so it must be right.

upload_2020-3-10_13-3-36.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even the Daily Mail has found this - so it must be right.

View attachment 39267
Nice.

have to question why Europe as a whole is doing so poorly
hong kong, bang next door to china
singapore., Malaysia, all the near neighbours all posting far lower numbers then most of europe ?
would presume most are warmer right now then Europe, could it just be the heat..?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
BBC breakfast this morning had a man with T2D and respiratory issues who had decided to self isolate. This was the first time that I have heard a doctor respond that diabetes IS an issue and even T2Ds that is badly controlled, may cause issues. Please watch BBC breakfast on IPlayer. Now I am worried!!!!
How badly controlled is your type2 diabetes? Can you get it into better shape? What do you need to make that happen for you?

I hv other health problems so if I'm well controlled on insulin and my asthma is in good status with chronic inflammation controlled. If good control in all other areas and chronic pain controlled then I'm doing all I can do. The rest is fate.
Like for even none diabetics.
House control is what I mainly do anyway, bar my daily exercise and helping with kiddies family fun.
My medicine routine is cemented when im at home but hospital appointments and kids commitments etc can distract that. In fact home is where's best for me, normally. Of which I plan on improving on. My second stage of my plan had started but now is currently having a hiccup. This started well before virus distraction.
Its just another hiccup to iron out really.
I get plenty of them, year in year out.

I'm sure if we take individual steps to enhance our health risk we will live through it. All of it.

Reactions: jjraak

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Nice post @Bill_St

I think he's being optimistic.

The US is going to have to seriously re evaluate how it delivers health care.
Too many are outside the loop
Too many homeless
And that no sick pay/ work ethic

We also need to be taking some actions outside of what we are doing

If as expected this increases,
The simple things we haven't even begun to consider come to the fore

The prison riots in Italy for example...
It's going to be a rocky road, if we go down the Italian route

And still far too many saying it's just flu.. So they won't take this seriously...,( Until the simple things that could would should be dealt with early, won't be if the systems over whelmed
And they are left with a more permanent health issue...)
. So are thinking "I'm ok"...
But no even considering the mums dad's aunts uncles grans & granddad's... And a whole multitude of family members.

We ALL stop it, together.
Or these people just make it last longer and harder then it needs to be.
Its a great reminder that we ALL share this world. No one more privileged where mother nature spreads her wings.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thinking of you. Any improvement with the chest infection yet? Or too soon. For me they take weeks to go. Without this addition virus threat. Hugs from us.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I received a message from my other daughter, she lives in a village, next door to a town where an employee, in a bank, has been tested positive for the virus, bank is closed.
My close friend works at a very busy London railway station and travels there and back from our home town.
My daughter works in a nursery with young children and she is very anxious about it, but we just have to carry on and live our lives as best we can.
She has a lung/chest condition.

Myself, being over 60 , type 1 for 31 years and previously with pneumonia and sepsis, with other medical conditions too, the odds aren't stacked well, but I won't let COIVID-19 overwhelm me or burden me, as I am doing as much as I possibly can to be sensible and to stay safe.
According to the NHS site on Corona virus, after answering questions, I do not need to call 111.

Reactions: Bill_St
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I put useful as there is no HORRIFIC emoji.
They said it was triage... That was the spike.. And it's only going higher at the moment.

Truly dreadful... Prays for Italy
As little as that does, what else can we do.

Italy is really getting it :( Just a thought, maybe we have been a little luckier as we have a stretch of water between us and Europe, as we haven't gone through what Italy is going through right now ??

Reactions: Debandez

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking of you. Any improvement with the chest infection yet? Or too soon. For me they take weeks to go. Without this addition virus threat. Hugs from us.
Early days yet. I have cancelled my visit to an elderly aunt and also my grandson's visit to me. I would have done that with a cold anyway.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is triage.
Or Three Wise Men protocol.
We do need to keep up with the Information - only way to avoid Panic.
I understand the protocol - but somehow didn’t think those of us well controlled and with no complications would be left to die or survive unattended and unhelped because of a label that means little and is based on inaccurate preconceptions in these circumstances Ie I didn’t think it applied to me to put it in a self concerned/defensive/protective/selfish sense. I think I might be forgetting to mention the diagnosis if admitted.

Reactions: zand