COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a quick note the UK Govt website for running totals has changed.
Here is the old, with the link on the page to the new one.
(for those outside the UK who may be interested a VPN app set to UK should let you access if it is Location specific)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england

Not sure as it's a desktop application, but i have put the Link to the NEW site my signature
along side the advice of HOW to isolate for easy reference
may or may not work. unsure as it said it's a desktop app, link MAY be personal to the PC
so you may have to download the link for your PC

anyone able to confirm it works for them, i'd be grateful

Reactions: Debandez

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks tipetoo. Iv read how this virus works it issnt just the flu.
i must admit to reading but nor perhaps taking it all in, where was the mention to it being FLU.?
cheers in adnvance

do however agree fully with your statement.

lindisfel

Expert
Its getting to the point when those of us with comorbities or getting on in years, will have to isolate ourselves from face to face contact.

They are drawing up plans to take such ones off ventilators, if we get pneumonia. Lets face it even our underfunded health service or a fully funded one may not manage in the peak covid 19 conditions.
I am worried for my daughter, who is a medic, and hope she stays well, they and nurses etc will be at the coal face. Dont forget young people are dying as well.

Lets hope we do not live in a hot spot.
D

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jjraak, no worries. One of the problems we're having is living between two international cities on the I-5 (interstate) corridor. Lots of people coming down from Canada to shop here. Lots of people living here and working in the Seattle area, sometimes the reverse. I feel like we're going to be hit hard.

But we are trying to slow it down. University and community college students no longer attending classes. It's all virtual now. Our city's K-12 public schools closed today. No classes beginning Monday. Not sure for how long. The decision has been made to postpone jury trials. Our senior center closed, earlier this week, and now our entire public library is closing. It's looking like the local courts may begin operating with a skeleton crew during the interium, which probably means I'll be without a job for a while. We're definitely making huge sacrifices to slow the community spread. Hoping it works.

I think I'm in a bit of shock at the moment. It's a lot to process...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
jjraak, no worries. One of the problems we're having is living between two international cities on the I-5 (interstate) corridor. Lots of people coming down from Canada to shop here. Lots of people living here and working in the Seattle area, sometimes the reverse. I feel like we're going to be hit hard.

But we are trying to slow it down. University and community college students no longer attending classes. It's all virtual now. Our city's K-12 public schools closed today. No classes beginning Monday. Not sure for how long. The decision has been made to postpone jury trials. Our senior center closed, earlier this week, and now our entire public library is closing. It's looking like the local courts may begin operating with a skeleton crew during the interium, which probably means I'll be without a job for a while. We're definitely making huge sacrifices to slow the community spread. Hoping it works.

I think I'm in a bit of shock at the moment. It's a lot to process...

Nice @Winnie53 ..looks like a lot of info and people seem to be making a good fist of sorting this.

i saw a chart on twiiter, ..looks like the uk ain't doing so bad, but can and will change
ETANgvhX0Ak-0Kf

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1238627934434443264?s=20

It's that rate of climb that every one is trying to stop,
we can't avoid the infections, we do however need to try and manage so we spread it out as much as possible, though.

lady was in sessions of some sort stating how much testing could cost..senators ? had little clue.
total was $1,300....per test if no stay etc

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1238147835859779584?s=20

THAT is the issue for the states, many can't and won't get tested unless it's free.
i believe there is a bill to make that happen..do hope it passes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a parent, of school aged child, that is choosing to limit my social distance now, not later, I am somewhat stuck. Because the schools are not officially closed if I remove him, as his parent making a health decision for him and his immediate family in unprecedented times, I am committed criminal offence for which I can be fined and even imprisoned. This already draconian law needs to be suspended at the very least during the current pandemic.

Petition available here https://www.change.org/p/boris-john...-children-out-of-school-without-repercussions if anyone wants to sign it.

edit

I’ve just found this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51835486

School leaders agreed keeping schools open was the right decision.​

Geoff Barton, head of the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), which is meeting for its annual conference, said head teachers would authorise absence if parents took the decision to keep their children off lessons.

He anticipated absences would be small in scale and similar to "snow days".​

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice @Winnie53 ..looks like a lot of info and people seem to be making a good fist of sorting this.

i saw a chart on twiiter, ..looks like the uk ain't doing so bad, but can and will change
ETANgvhX0Ak-0Kf

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1238627934434443264?s=20

lady was in sessions of some sort stating how much testing could cost..senators ? had little clue.
total was $1,300....per test if no stay etc

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1238147835859779584?s=20

THAT is the issue for the states, many can't and won't get tested unless it's free.
i believe there is a bill to make that happen..do hope it passes.
This and similar charts are at odds with the 4 weeks behind Italy that the government quoted Thursday. Anyone understand the mismatch?

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
a quick note the UK Govt website for running totals has changed.
Here is the old, with the link on the page to the new one.
(for those outside the UK who may be interested a VPN app set to UK should let you access if it is Location specific)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england

Not sure as it's a desktop application, but i have put the Link to the NEW site my signature
along side the advice of HOW to isolate for easy reference
may or may not work. unsure as it said it's a desktop app, link MAY be personal to the PC
so you may have to download the link for your PC

anyone able to confirm it works for them, i'd be grateful

The quoted link seems to be the old page.

The link in your signature works a treat on my tablet & web browser.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This and similar charts are at odds with the 4 weeks behind Italy that the government quoted Thursday. Anyone understand the mismatch?

In addition, population size and density are also very relevant. The US has nearly 5x the population of the UK, but we fit on an island 1/2 the size of Texas. So we also rub shoulders a bit more.

@jjraak ’s point about the speed of the rise is very relevant though.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have said I realize for some it's very difficult. The fact is that a high proporton of people at particular risk are 'of a certain age.' Like me as it happens. I'm fortunate to be able to take time off, I'm trying to reign my wife in!
I can say this, anybody who rationalizes and makes informed choices is to be lauded. Too many are reckless.
There was a photo of 60k people at Cheltenham races yesterday. Frankly madness in my opinion.

That is your choice to self isolate, I know that and but many can't just self isolate, I know that too. My take on my health and my health risk to other's, at the moment, is to live my life, but to be sensible, aware of my surroundings, vigilant, updated on recent reports of COVID-19 and to keep good hygiene practice.
People are still out and about, companies are open too. I was with someone yesterday who looked at a room to rent in a house, they need somewhere to stay for a couple of months, but they are not keen on having to rent, but needs must, I have some of their household items in my cramped spare room
As for Cheltenham races, I'm surprised it was allowed to go ahead with such a large gathering of crowds, I for one wouldn't of attended.
As for your wife, I'm sure she isn't being reckless or inconsiderate in her choice not to self isolate with you, she like many and myself, will probably keep going, until told otherwise, but good luck trying to 'reign her in'

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
As a parent of school aged child that is choosing to limit my social distance now, not later, I am somewhat stuck. Because the schools are not officially closed if I remove him, as his parent making a health decision for him and his immediate family in unprecedented times, I am committed criminal offence for which I can be fined and even imprisoned. This already draconian law needs to be suspended at the very least during the current pandemic.

Petition available here https://www.change.org/p/boris-john...-children-out-of-school-without-repercussions if anyone wants to sign it.

Here in our town the teachers are thinking home schooling and closing the local school if nessary. Dont know how long itll last.....

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here in our town the teachers are thinking home schooling and closing the local school if nessary. Dont know how long itll last.....
i suspect that the first cases in a school, and teachers will be the ones driving this

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I received an email from one of the companies I work for yesterday, here is a snippet..
Personally, I would stop this weekends food or beverage sampling and not leave it until Monday 16th March ! I did message my managers yesterday morning regarding getting updates about the virus and I did say 'from the actual company' and not to be directed to a NHS site, because of our line of work. and then lo behold we get two emails,

Dear Colleague,

Update from REL

As you will know, the Coronavirus outbreak continues to develop in the UK and across the Globe and we continue to review our advice and measures in force, to ensure we are caring for our colleagues.

As a precautionary measure Sainsbury’s have taken the decision to temporarily suspend the physical sampling of food and beverages in store. This is in line with decisions being made globally around the sampling of food and beverages. This temporary suspension is from Monday 16th March and is initially for 12 weeks however this will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Physical sampling of food and beverages will continue in store as planned until end of day on Sunday 15th March please ensure you follow the brief loaded to NI (the portal).

What does this mean for you?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I work with children, but as yet, nothing has been put in place regarding closures.

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Those figures for herd immunity are to maintain complete absence of the disease. We are starting to see measles come back because of the MMR scare and less than 90% of children were vaccinated. Even some herd immunity will help as it means there are less people to pass it on.
The expert for the Gov yesterday said that we needed to reach c.60% of the population getting Covid19 to get some herd immunity.
That's a lot of people, it needs to be a long flat topped graph not to overload the system.
D.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
i must admit to reading but nor perhaps taking it all in, where was the mention to it being FLU.?
cheers in adnvance

do however agree fully with your statement.
What i found in the US about it.... most here wouldnt want to read it...

On the flu reference media here in Aus compaired it to flu i didnt take much notice... like a lot of type 1s i havnt had it for a long time...
I dont think flu can do the same thing.

What i read compaired it to SARS.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received an email from one of the companies I work for yesterday, here is a snippet..
Personally, I would stop this weekends food or beverage sampling and not leave it until Monday 16th March ! I did message my managers yesterday morning regarding getting updates about the virus and I did say 'from the actual company' and not to be directed to a NHS site, because of our line of work. and then lo behold we get two emails,

Dear Colleague,

Update from REL

As you will know, the Coronavirus outbreak continues to develop in the UK and across the Globe and we continue to review our advice and measures in force, to ensure we are caring for our colleagues.

As a precautionary measure Sainsbury’s have taken the decision to temporarily suspend the physical sampling of food and beverages in store. This is in line with decisions being made globally around the sampling of food and beverages. This temporary suspension is from Monday 16th March and is initially for 12 weeks however this will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Physical sampling of food and beverages will continue in store as planned until end of day on Sunday 15th March please ensure you follow the brief loaded to NI (the portal).

What does this mean for you?

reckless.

they KNOW there is an issue..so why wait..?

oh i get it..they haven't seen the news lately...:rolleyes:

so food on a open plate, or definitely not in hygienic enough storage, given the current crisis
with every one and anyone passing by, is then offered to customers , to try and make comment on..

i think i'll pass, whats next weeks special offer, lucky dip on the eggs with salmonella..good grief.
Sainsbury's you say..Nice to know those who are really taking it seriously and those happy to just keep making a buck regardless of the unnecessary risks to the public..

Reactions: Debandez

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As they are not going to be doing much testing here in the UK, our stats will be skewed and inaccurate anyway, and useless for any purpose except death rate, IF they test all those who die.

Can anyone else smell rats round here?