COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jedab, welcome back to the forum. And congratulations on your achievement of an A1c of 5.0. That's excellent. It's so wonderful that your diabetes is in remission now with diet. :)

Most of us will come through this just fine without being hospitalized, though COVID-19 should be taken seriously. There's no way to predict if you'll be mildly or severely affected, diabetes or no diabetes, that is, if you become infected with the virus. You might not. I'm choosing to prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Do you also live in the US? That's where I am. How do you normally prepare for having a cold or flu? What's worked best for you in the past? How do you stay hydrated? Are their specific foods, beverages, nutritional supplements you like to have on hand? Medications for fever, cough, and sore throat? A thermometer to measure your temperature? A meter and strips to monitor your glucose levels?

Is your doctor's contact information and your health insurance information with you at all times?

My health insurance provider has a 24/7 nurse line that I can call if I need to. There's no charge for this service. That's also a good phone number to have on hand.

Having had the flu myself twice in three years time, that's how I would begin my preparations. My husband travels so I've learned to be prepared.

When ill and home alone, even when my husband is home, my smart phone and charger is a life line for me. If I can't talk, I can still text my husband in another part of the house, or text a nearby neighbor or friend.

That's what's helpful for me. Not sure if I answered the questions you had in mind though. Hope some of it's helpful to you.

Last edited:

jane1950

They can't police it. I believe they will mainly be policing groups of people such as those youngsters seen on the news today still hanging about in groups and paying no attention to distancing. Idiots.
I feel they could enforce it once the legislation comes in tomorrow to allow them to enforce the rules of the lockdown, and we also have a police station just down the road from us, and an ex policeman lives a few doors along from us, and probably knows tsome of the policeman around here

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
uk lockdown: how will the police enforce the once a day walk, or will we be allowed to go for an extra walk if needed

The only way they could do so is to introduce a system like the one the French are using - the main deterrent seems to be the tedious paperwork and a fine.

Lets just all hope that isn't necessary, because in France if you can't print your doc off using a home printer, you have to write it out by hand - and it is a full side of A4 print.

jane1950

The only way they could do so is to introduce a system like the one the French are using - the main deterrent seems to be the tedious paperwork and a fine.

Lets just all hope that isn't necessary, because in France if you can't print your doc off using a home printer, you have to write it out by hand - and it is a full side of A4 print.
there are ways you could get a fine, as now they have messaged all mobile phone users, they could track your data , and you could suddenly get a fine

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there are ways you could get a fine, as now they have messaged all mobile phone users, they could track your data , and you could suddenly get a fine

I doubt very much that 'they' have your data.
The way those texts are being sent out is via your normal phone company.
Someone in Whitehall probably just asked each of the phone companies to send out a standard text to all users.

Just imagine the logistical horror of setting up a system to correlate your phone number with a spot on the map (your home address) and then create an electronic boundary beyond which an alert would go off. And then the monitoring that you didn't go outside that boundary more than once a day - for upwards of 60 million people.

Such a system would take months to create and test and trial and implement - to say nothing of the phone companies having to be willing to provide the information necessary - and all to penalise people because they walked the dog twice, not once?

Plus, there would have to be additional administration to process any fines that were imposed.

I just don't see it happening.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel they could enforce it once the legislation comes in tomorrow to allow them to enforce the rules of the lockdown, and we also have a police station just down the road from us, and an ex policeman lives a few doors along from us, and probably knows tsome of the policeman around here

The police have much more to do than count how many times each one of the 60 million people in the country go for a walk. If you are so concerned, why not obey the rules and just have one walk. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are a lot of people up to and beyond their eyes in work as a result of both the virus, and from staff reductions where vulnerable colleagues are having to stay away from the workplace.

I may be wrong, but for now, I reckon they will be trying to ensure there are no gatherings, rather than track phone or APNR data.

Aside from all else, they would have to build a process for issuing fines, collecting them and ensuring all issues were settled. Then there would be the appeals.........

I feel tired just thinking through the steps.

jane1950

The police have much more to do than count how many times each one of the 60 million people in the country go for a walk. If you are so concerned, why not obey the rules and just have one walk. :)
I am not really concerned, and have found a legal way round the once a day exercise....just took a long way round to do an essential shop, so got exercise while doing the shopping. Then this afternoon will got for my once a day exercise

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the limits on walking. It increases vitamin D, thins the blood, and reduces stress levels.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the limits on walking. It increases vitamin D, thins the blood, and reduces stress levels.
Fewer people on the streets at one time, helping distancing to happen.

There are fleets if drones available to monitor, like other countries do.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fewer people on the streets at one time, helping distancing to happen.

There are fleets if drones available to monitor, like other countries do.

It's interesting. I live in the center of our city, but in a residential area. I walk all the time and rarely come into contact with anyone. But I walk along residential streets. Not the trails. Perhaps it's a population density issue. Though I also live in a neighborhood primarily made up of houses and yards built over the last hundred years. Perhaps we have more space here. Don't know. I've never been to Europe.

lindisfel

Expert
They did have some such method of checking in the oriental countries. I think it was South Korea.
D.
I doubt very much that 'they' have your data.
The way those texts are being sent out is via your normal phone company.
Someone in Whitehall probably just asked each of the phone companies to send out a standard text to all users.

Just imagine the logistical horror of setting up a system to correlate your phone number with a spot on the map (your home address) and then create an electronic boundary beyond which an alert would go off. And then the monitoring that you didn't go outside that boundary more than once a day - for upwards of 60 million people.

Such a system would take months to create and test and trial and implement - to say nothing of the phone companies having to be willing to provide the information necessary - and all to penalise people because they walked the dog twice, not once?

Plus, there would have to be additional administration to process any fines that were imposed.

I just don't see it happening.

No not here, but they do have apps to check the whereabouts of children when they carry a phone.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Pursuing an outdoor hobby seems to be frowned on.
One guy reckoned he would like to go to a fishing lake where each person was separated by a lot of land.
The commentator clearly felt it was outside the spirit of the pronouncement.
Looks like I will have hide my birding bins under my shirt.
I have a friend owns the adjacent land, its a large farm, I could walk over his land and never meet a soul.
At 80 I am knackered for going over rough ground and after half an hour of it, It would be enough of a work out.
When they get the Friesian bulls out, in April, I will definitely not be going. If one of those guys gets you down, its more dangerous than covid19.
D.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We have glorious weather here in my part of England at the moment. Yet our small market town is like a ghost town. The main road in is normally chockablock with traffic. Barely a car in sight this week, other than cars parked outside people's homes - and there are a lot of those. We took a walk yesterday and today down by the river. There was a small handful of other dog walkers but no groups. Everyone gave everyone else a wide berth. The lack of traffic was quite eerie.

Hubby went to the supermarket (Sainsburys) early this morning in the slot reserved for wrinklies and vulnerables. No problem parking in the normally full car park. They were letting people in bit by bit with a guard at the door, so there was a queue to get in, which seemed longer than it was due to people keeping their distance. Hubby was miffed because the guard didn't ask for his ID, assuming he is over 70. (which he is!!). In order to keep people and staff apart at the check outs they had closed alternate tills, so with only half of them open, there were queues waiting to be served, and they were kept apart by white tape marks on the floor. The check out staff were not handling money and not allowing cash back, although with some of the older people not having cards they were forced to accept some money. He said it was all very civilised.

Reactions: Brunneria
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

An hour's walking would be fine for me, it's better than nothing and I do like being out and about, but, I have been so busy at home, especially in the garden, I haven't had time for a walk, hopefully tomorrow, especially in our lovely warm spring sunshine :happy::joyful:

Reactions: Winnie53
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A heads up for an update on COVID-19 tonight:
CORONA VIRUS:YOUR ESSENTIAL UPDATE, BBC 1@ 7.30pm.