Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the UK operational false positive rate?
I guess this is the question I was asking (in comparison to false negatives especially). Knowing how accurate, in either direction, a test is is important.

Contamination and inappropriate sampling can occur for any test.

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
House arrest and quarantine are completely different things. One implies you may have done something wrong and illegal and are being punished . The other that you have been in the wrong place at the wrong time contracting an illness and are now doing a good thing to prevent others becoming ill and possibly dieing.

lindisfel

Expert
The Government are starting to remind me of Lieutenant-General Browning from a "Bridge Too Far". "Ahem chaps right well as long as you wear your kit, helmet, carry your rifle and socially distance from the nasty enemy you will all be fine, despite the fact that our operation is a disaster waiting to happen!"
The day has come, the whistles have blown and the shielded are climbing the ladders and walking off into no mans land.
I hope the virus has run out of bullets.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: JRT

Dark Horse

Maybe I've been a bit over dramatic but regardless I have sent this letter to my MP.

Dear

I thought I would write to you with regard to my concerns as a diabetic in these strange times with the Coronavirus epidemic.

I ask what the Government plan to do with regard to safeguarding us diabetics, along with other clinically vulnerable people, considering statistics apparently show that 1 in 4 diabetics who end up in hospital die?

On the Government website we diabetics are down as clinically vulnerable and are still advised to stringently social distance. However, I work in a school as a Learning Support Assistant and whilst I have been working at home since late March, (albeit on a reduced hours contract and pay), due to the Government advice at the time, I am due back in September because the Government wants all children back at school and yet it’s absolutely clear and obvious that you cannot social distance correctly and safely in a school.

For sure I am allowed to wear a mask but masks in schools are not mandatory so if I am the only one wearing a mask I am not protected at all because as you know masks are only effective to try and protect others rather than the wearer.

Our school was kept open for children with care plans and those whose parents were key workers but within two weeks the school had a case of Covid so had to shut again. Thankfully I was working from home. So it is plain to see that once September comes and the Autumn/Winter approaches this WILL happen again. Even the Government have admitted to be concerned about a second wave and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that this WILL happen.

My GP has been very sympathetic and feels that I should continue to work from home but is bound by Government guidelines. My school too purely goes by Government advice but as I am sure you would admit Government handling of this epidemic could have been better to be brutally honest so GP’s and Schools are following what is clearly flawed advice.

You are trying to protect the NHS and claim that you are trying to protect the vulnerable but how am I being protected by being forced back into the classroom? I use click and collect for groceries, I social distance if out and have not, and will not visit a shop, barber, restaurant, cinema or pub until we either have a vaccine or some other form of immunity. In a nutshell I can be in control of my own personal risk but I cannot be in control in the workplace which renders my own personal risk strategy as useless. I cannot decide to leave my employment because you cannot claim Universal Credit if you leave your job voluntarily even if by leaving I am potentially saving my life.

At schools there will hundreds/thousands of clinically vulnerable students and staff and come the Autumn Term the idea of sending all back into the classroom will NOT be saving the NHS! I fully understand the mental state and education of children but what will deaths of students or staff do to the mental state of a child?

So I respectfully ask why I am being asked to play a game of Russian Roulette with my health when the Government themselves have classed me as clinically vulnerable but at the same time are forcing me back into a workplace where I cannot be safe?

Kind regards,
The WHO recommends medical masks rather than fabric masks for people at increased risk from Covid:-
People 60 years old and over or anyone with pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease, or cancer)
Why? These people should wear a medical mask for protection because they are at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill with the disease and dying.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...wers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks
The page also has instructions on how to use a medical mask correctly.

Reactions: lindisfel and JRT

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I've been a bit over dramatic but regardless I have sent this letter to my MP.

Dear

I thought I would write to you with regard to my concerns as a diabetic in these strange times with the Coronavirus epidemic.

I ask what the Government plan to do with regard to safeguarding us diabetics, along with other clinically vulnerable people, considering statistics apparently show that 1 in 4 diabetics who end up in hospital die?

On the Government website we diabetics are down as clinically vulnerable and are still advised to stringently social distance. However, I work in a school as a Learning Support Assistant and whilst I have been working at home since late March, (albeit on a reduced hours contract and pay), due to the Government advice at the time, I am due back in September because the Government wants all children back at school and yet it’s absolutely clear and obvious that you cannot social distance correctly and safely in a school.

For sure I am allowed to wear a mask but masks in schools are not mandatory so if I am the only one wearing a mask I am not protected at all because as you know masks are only effective to try and protect others rather than the wearer.

Our school was kept open for children with care plans and those whose parents were key workers but within two weeks the school had a case of Covid so had to shut again. Thankfully I was working from home. So it is plain to see that once September comes and the Autumn/Winter approaches this WILL happen again. Even the Government have admitted to be concerned about a second wave and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that this WILL happen.

My GP has been very sympathetic and feels that I should continue to work from home but is bound by Government guidelines. My school too purely goes by Government advice but as I am sure you would admit Government handling of this epidemic could have been better to be brutally honest so GP’s and Schools are following what is clearly flawed advice.

You are trying to protect the NHS and claim that you are trying to protect the vulnerable but how am I being protected by being forced back into the classroom? I use click and collect for groceries, I social distance if out and have not, and will not visit a shop, barber, restaurant, cinema or pub until we either have a vaccine or some other form of immunity. In a nutshell I can be in control of my own personal risk but I cannot be in control in the workplace which renders my own personal risk strategy as useless. I cannot decide to leave my employment because you cannot claim Universal Credit if you leave your job voluntarily even if by leaving I am potentially saving my life.

At schools there will hundreds/thousands of clinically vulnerable students and staff and come the Autumn Term the idea of sending all back into the classroom will NOT be saving the NHS! I fully understand the mental state and education of children but what will deaths of students or staff do to the mental state of a child?

So I respectfully ask why I am being asked to play a game of Russian Roulette with my health when the Government themselves have classed me as clinically vulnerable but at the same time are forcing me back into a workplace where I cannot be safe?

Kind regards,

I also wrote to my MP with much the same content as your letter. The reply I received stated (again) PPE was not required in schools. Also, that it was up to each school to ensure it was a Covid safe environment. He pointed out to me that I was at no greater risk of catching Covid19 than anyone else. Well that’s ok then when infections are going up.
My head has agreed to allow me to wear a face visor with the proviso that I explain I have mitigating circumstances but do not need to say what they are, to adults and children. I will be working with 30, 10-11 year olds and 1 other adult in a ‘bubble’ in a classroom where social distancing will be impossible. I cannot work from home as I’m a class learning support assistant working with children who need support with their learning, so in quite close contact. I’m anxious about returning to work under these circumstances in September.

Reactions: NoSugarBabe and JRT

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I personally think the guidance on schools could well change. We've got a month to go and we've had within the last week u turn after u turn applied by the government. They are plainly terrified of another resurgence , conspiracy theories apart I can see no other reason why they would risk political capital doing this.

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally think the guidance on schools could well change. We've got a month to go and we've had within the last week u turn after u turn applied by the government. They are plainly terrified of another resurgence , conspiracy theories apart I can see no other reason why they would risk political capital doing this.
I seriously hope so

Reactions: JRT

JRT

I checked out the Gov.UK guidelines for clinically vulnerable people and they have been adapted again to you can go outside as much as you like,mix with others as much as like but try an maintain social distancing,no mention of household or bubbles etc.
It does indeed appear nonsensical when it appears that the risk posed by the virus is still there.
I think the problems lie in several areas.
Tracking and testing not working effectively, we are not 100%sure what is happening in our local area.
Maybe now obesity is a factor the number of those vulnerable is too high to deal with.? Boris has probably just shrugged his shoulders and let people get on with it as best they can.
This governments attitude to anybody vulnerable has been callous for the past 10years,there might have been hope a global pandemic changed things,but sadly not. I think you only have to look at government behaviour over past months from lies to ignorance, the circle of protection for care homes,free school meals,child poverty, "so a few old people might die"., the implication that food poverty is down to laziness or mismanagement. Every area of health and social care was on its last legs before this pandemic,from housing,support for the vulnerable and disabled, secure employment, education. I'm sure some will accuse me of being a Guardian reading liberal. Yes I probably am. I also worked in Research and Campaigns for the Citizens Advice for several years and saw first hand the effects of austerity on people, ordinary people who through no fault of their own found their circumstances had changed and the safety net had all but disappeared. We are I think(I still hope we are not)just dipping our toe in this. If forecasts are true and unemployment will reach never before seen figures an awful lot of people are going to see that £70week to live on is not very doable, that the lovely local council cant pay all of your extortionate rent,that if you are unemployed you will face sanctions, sometimes for not attending a meeting you weren't told was happening etc etc.
I have over the past decade been despondent over the lack of empathy towards those less fortunate or vulnerable, bolstered by stereotypes of the feckless poor and benefit cheats. They do exist but there numbers are minute.
So, a lot of people may be in for a bit of a rude awakening when their furlough ends in redundancy and they realise what is or isnt available.
My heart goes out to those that were shielded. Once again the essence is in the detail if they work. They have to prove their work environment isnt Covid safe which can only be done by attending it. Any government guidelines now are so woolly that not really helpful. SSP has stopped. Some may be able to be signed off by GP. Again it's down to luck and personal circumstances.
I have seen comments on threads deriding people for being scared and hiding away,or commenting that we need to keep the economy going. For those of you are fit and healthy and probably have less to fear just try and be a little compassionate. All it takes is an accident or sudden onset of a serious illness and you too may be thrown to the wolves.

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seriously hope so
Schools in Germany are beginning to re open. Guess what? The children are being required to wear face masks. Also talk by the scientists around the fact that if 2 weeks into the summer hols R is already increasing, to open schools properly and stay in control something else is going to have to give. The suggestion was that it would be pubs ( won't go down well). I think rather than closing pubs they'll put in more stringent opening conditions to full school opening.
Those of you returning to work in schools hopefully could benefit from this

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Schools in Germany are beginning to re open. Guess what? The children are being required to wear face masks. Also talk by the scientists around the fact that if 2 weeks into the summer hols R is alreadyialready then to open schools properly and stay in control something else is going to have to give. The suggestion was that it would be pubs. I think rather than closing pubs they'll put in more stringent opening conditions to full school opening.
Well when everything is talking about face and space and schools have neither of these, and secondary school also don’t have the same consistent exposure all day (5 or 6 class participants and room changes a day) then current school guidance is doing pretty much the opposite !!

Tannith

BANNED
0_r-rate.jpg

The R Rate in the UK

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with JRT. I have worked with supporting family carers and the benefits system was in a shambles before this hit. Already people who haven't been financially supported by furlough or grants etc, are claiming and finding they are ineligible or that the resulting payments are very very low. And those numbers will increase by millions. Hard Times ahead indeed.

Also I get cross they link rises pubs opening. Most of the rise in cases have been connected with workplaces. Many more people have gone back to work than go to pubs. People work for longer than they spend in pubs too. But of course government needs people to be at work so they are shifting blame.

Ultimately each of us has to be responsible for our own safety as best we can while keeping earning.

lindisfel

Expert
Schools in Germany are beginning to re open. Guess what? The children are being required to wear face masks. Also talk by the scientists around the fact that if 2 weeks into the summer hols R is already increasing, to open schools properly and stay in control something else is going to have to give. The suggestion was that it would be pubs ( won't go down well). I think rather than closing pubs they'll put in more stringent opening conditions to full school opening.
There were four pubs in Carlisle and two in Penrith had people with coronavirus in them two weeks ago.
Pubs are not safe.
D.

Tannith

BANNED
I suspect that Govt links with the alcohol industry have led to the premature opening of pubs and possibly also restaurants. Govts will tell us anything to manipulate our behaviour. Even Spanish and Italian Govts are telling people their countries are safe because they want the tourist trade back. We were told not to wear masks early in the pandemic because they were in short supply, not because they didn't work. Govt told people working from home to go back to the workplace, not because it was safe but because they wanted them to buy sandwiches and coffee in sandwich bars and Costa. Now the shielded are expected to return to work, not because it is safe but because Govt doesn't want to pay them SSP. Edit to add:Govt changed the 2m distance rule to 1 m so that restaurants, pubs and schools could open more easily.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What I don't get is the assertion that what was unsafe yesterday now today by government decree is safe.

King Canute commanded the tide to turn back not because he thought he could but to show that he could not

Our government seems to actually believe they can.