Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

JRT

It would be good if the government allowed testing in primary schools too. We have no social distancing, no PPE ( unless dealing with a child showing symptoms), tables are wiped down with antibacterial (not antiviral) disinfectant. Hand washing and the use of hand sanitiser is encouraged as are class bubbles. We also have staggered start and finish times. However, most primary schools in my local authority area were closed or partially closed before we broke up for the holidays.

We are now in tier 4 so Christmas is essentially cancelled here. I am willing to bet, that we will be expected to return to work under the same circumstances as before. This even though we apparently have the easier caught variant of Covid in our area. Just a by the by fact, our council leader in the town where I work asked to close schools 3 days early before the break due to increasing infections. This request was declined even though a large number of schools, primary and secondary were already closed due to Covid. Also all secondary school children were told to be tested before the break and to test again before returning to school.

The government is saying that children from the of 10 are the carriers of the virus. I work in year 6 primary (10-11 year olds). I do wear an FFP2 face mask, which is not on my out of date risk assessment. However, after chatting with my husband about the risks I face at work, I have decided to resign from a job I love and have been doing for nearly 20 years. This makes me sad and even a bit angry as I feel the pupils and staff of primary schools are being badly let down by government. Extra measures put in place are not sufficient and fall far below standards of any other indoor working environment. Some precautions, PPE for example, are actively discouraged. Judging by the fact we are running out of essential supplies eg. pens, they probably are not being properly funded either.
I dont blame you in the slightest. I'm sure there will be many more forced into the same decision both in education and the NHS.
Schools were under stress to start with. The government appear to show total disregard for both staff and pupils whether its forcing staff and pupils to be in an environment that completely contradicts guidelines or the failure of laptops for disadvantaged childeren to appear.
There are practical things that could have been done to make schools safer but that would have taken time and investment.
I suspect in some meeting somewhere there was a shrug of the shoulders and a comment that neither pupils or the majority of teachers were of particular high risk and those that were,well,I dont think they are really worried about that!

Max68

It would be good if the government allowed testing in primary schools too. We have no social distancing, no PPE ( unless dealing with a child showing symptoms), tables are wiped down with antibacterial (not antiviral) disinfectant. Hand washing and the use of hand sanitiser is encouraged as are class bubbles. We also have staggered start and finish times. However, most primary schools in my local authority area were closed or partially closed before we broke up for the holidays.

We are now in tier 4 so Christmas is essentially cancelled here. I am willing to bet, that we will be expected to return to work under the same circumstances as before. This even though we apparently have the easier caught variant of Covid in our area. Just a by the by fact, our council leader in the town where I work asked to close schools 3 days early before the break due to increasing infections. This request was declined even though a large number of schools, primary and secondary were already closed due to Covid. Also all secondary school children were told to be tested before the break and to test again before returning to school.

The government is saying that children from the of 10 are the carriers of the virus. I work in year 6 primary (10-11 year olds). I do wear an FFP2 face mask, which is not on my out of date risk assessment. However, after chatting with my husband about the risks I face at work, I have decided to resign from a job I love and have been doing for nearly 20 years. This makes me sad and even a bit angry as I feel the pupils and staff of primary schools are being badly let down by government. Extra measures put in place are not sufficient and fall far below standards of any other indoor working environment. Some precautions, PPE for example, are actively discouraged. Judging by the fact we are running out of essential supplies eg. pens, they probably are not being properly funded either.

So sorry it got to the stage where you felt that you had to resign and of course I sadly know how exactly you feel. You do feel let down. Two weeks after I left I got a text from a colleague saying the school had cases and I had done the right thing. Problem was they were back online schooling and I could have done that!

The government said that schools were Covid safe but it's surely no coincidence that cases have been rising since schools went back in September and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the surge is due to the colder weather coming and the doors and windows slowly being closed. A neighbour of mine says that at her daughters school they have carbon dioxide meters in the classrooms and if there is too much CO2 in the room they open the windows. Bit bizarre because it's waiting for levels to get high before they do anything but at least it does prove how exhaled breath quickly fills a room.

Quite ironic how this new strain appears before Christmas which places millions of people in new tiers and when schools are due to close. I'm not one for conspiracies but let's say if cases now drop by January the government can take the credit for the drop, but for all we know cases might have dropped anyway because millions of staff and students aren't in school for two weeks!

I really feel for those still there because they will as you say still only have the same "protection" as before but with a new strain that is apparently 70% more contagious! Testing won't do much unless it's done daily. Everyone knows you can be negative on Monday morning and positive by Monday evening.

I feel angry because there were options. I know for a fact that all parents don't necessarily want their kids in school and not all staff want to be there or are in the vulnerable pack. You could easily have set up and continued online learning for those staff and students and for those who wanted to still be at school the numbers in the school would be less. Not rocket science.

I was in correspondence with my MP about my personal situation. The conversation started in early July and my last email from them was on 17th September (after I had returned to school) saying again that they were waiting for a response from the Department of Health and Social Care. All they banged on about was getting help from the Union or my GP both whose hands were tied by their own government. I wrote back at the start of this month saying that it doesn't matter now as I had left and still am awaiting a response. They don't care, simple as that, people who get ill and die are nothing more than statistics.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend is in tier 4 now and he lives on his own, he's trying to put a brave face on it all, but I feel sad for him and all the lone people out there.
I believe as he is on his own he can "bubble" with a household even in tier 4.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe as he is on his own he can "bubble" with a household even in tier 4.
However, he needs to have someone he knows and trust to do that. Which is not always easy even in normal times, and people in this situation only have a week to do this.

There are so many people alone out there. They can't even go to a hotel, pub or community place for Christmas this year. It's very sad.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
However, he needs to have someone he knows and trust to do that. Which is not always easy even in normal times, and people in this situation only have a week to do this.

There are so many people alone out there. They can't even go to a hotel, pub or community place for Christmas this year. It's very sad.

Yes it is sad, I will pass on the message. I know he has a sister and has her daughter, SIL and children living with her and her husband.
So fingers crossed he may be able to at least have Christmas day with someone.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 25 year old grandson shares a house with 7 other young people in Tier 3. He is working over Christmas. The rest of his household are going to parents so he would be on his own after work. First time ever not being able to be with his family. He has invited a friend in a similar situation to spend the evening with him after work. They are having a Christmas dinner together and a few beers. Better than being alone.

Max68

Perhaps having to spend a less sociable xmas than usual this year will make people more aware of the millions of people worldwide who spend xmas alone, every year, covid or not.

Totally agree Brunneria. Quote from someone in the paper - "Maybe you won't be able to hug someone close to you this Christmas, but it may mean they are still around for the next one". You can't argue with that really can you. Also there are the families of 60,000 odd loved ones who are lost to Covid who don't have those loved ones around, not to mention the millions who have lost their lives through other illnesses, accidents etc. Small mercies for those of us who have avoided that awful situation so far.

Max68

Just a quick shout to you all that on their website (in my area anyway) Sainsbury have released click & collect slots in the last few minutes it seems. Apologies I didn't look at delivery as I thought I would better grab a c&c quick. Not sure how they are working this, maybe they release slots day by day because when I looked this morning there was nothing but now have managed to get one tomorrow lunchtime. If this helps someone grab a slot then great.

Incredible, as soon as I finished my order all slots had gone. They must be putting the slots up for grabs around mid afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Perhaps having to spend a less sociable xmas than usual this year will make people more aware of the millions of people worldwide who spend xmas alone, every year, covid or not.

The Salvation Army always made a Christmas dinner for people on their own in the Army hall, so they could enjoy a hot meal and have a happy few hours with others, that is not going to take place this year,.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick shout to you all that on their website (in my area anyway) Sainsbury have released click & collect slots in the last few minutes it seems. Apologies I didn't look at delivery as I thought I would better grab a c&c quick. Not sure how they are working this, maybe they release slots day by day because when I looked this morning there was nothing but now have managed to get one tomorrow lunchtime. If this helps someone grab a slot then great.

Incredible, as soon as I finished my order all slots had gone. They must be putting the slots up for grabs around mid afternoon.
Thanks @Max68. They did the same in my area with delivery slots.

Max68

Thanks @Max68. They did the same in my area with delivery slots.

Total luck though I, don't even know why I looked mid afternoon! Guess they can't let all online customers know the times or it would get overloaded. Not sure but maybe the times change daily. Also heard you can book a queue time where u stay in the car and they call you when it's your turn to enter the shop but not sure how it's done or how you do it.

JRT

Hi everyone. Re online grocery slots.!
Until March I always shopped online with Sainsburys or Waitrose. I dont drive so for me it was the norm.!
During the first lockdown all slots were booked for weeks ahead,whether in support of shielders I dont know!
The next few months could be tricky so hope this helps!
I resisted and finally joined Facebook! I limit it to people I know in real life. As I expected it's a good source of local information, especially if join local Covid Support group. It will keep you informed of local shops and businesses who will deliver meals/ food. I noticed today that some are offering to collect shopping etc. Personally this is probably better done through local council who be able to put you in touch with official volunteers.
The local council also may have resources for those in difficulties as well as access to food banks. If nothing else they can point you in the right direction in most areas!
You can go online and google mysupermarketslot.co.uk. For free you can type in your postcode and they will show you any free slots. On the whole it's quite good ,although I have known there to be slots in my local Iceland that dont show up on here. For a small fee you can be sent an email when slots are released but I've never bothered with this.!
At the bottom of their page are a list of local suppliers who supply small corner shops etc but recently also supply individuals. I did use one during early lockdown, limited choice but at time was very grateful!

One supermarket I found often had slots during lockdown was Iceland. You wont get quite the same choice as the big supermarkets but they have extended their range and you will certainly find the basics of household/toiletries/petcare/store cupboard. The quality of their fresh food and deli has also massively improved over the past few years.
Once again a lot depends on your local area. I know I saw comments in the North where people experienced problems with deliveries which hopefully have been resolved. I certainly had no problems in my part of Dorset.
The other supermarket slots do seem quite random so i just check periodically on Apps. I try and book a delivery about every 10 days.
For anyone unused to the system you book the slot. You dont pay until the day its packed. You can update/change until the evening before delivery.
I hope this is useful ,everyone has different needs and experiences.
Hope everyone has a peaceful Christmas!

Max68

2 young footballers floored by Covid-19. I guess this story serves as a reminder (if 1 is needed) that it's not easy to predict how infection will turn out.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-bruce-shocked-by-effect-of-covid-on-players

(The players have been named in other publications).

That's interesting to hear. As you say stories like that "should" remind people about how serious this can be if two young players are floored by it. I've seen their names on another article and certainly one of the players is a giant, strong, tough guy from when I have seen him play. Hope they recover.

Reactions: urbanracer

Max68

Still staggered about how many people in town today were not wearing masks in shops even with this new variant about. At a check out the lady in front of me wasn't wearing one and neither were her two children, although they were very young so that's up for debate. The over cautious part of my brain was whispering to me that even though I was masked up I would now have to stand at the till in the same area that this lady had vacated and my mind bizarrely filled with thoughts on viral aerosols rather than "Do They Know It's Christmas" which was the jingle in the background! I just thought if you can't be bothered to wear a mask for others then at least do it for your children, after all if she gets ill, what happens to them?!

Reactions: JRT

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still staggered about how many people in town today were not wearing masks in shops even with this new variant about. At a check out the lady in front of me wasn't wearing one and neither were her two children, although they were very young so that's up for debate. The over cautious part of my brain was whispering to me that even though I was masked up I would now have to stand at the till in the same area that this lady had vacated and my mind bizarrely filled with thoughts on viral aerosols rather than "Do They Know It's Christmas" which was the jingle in the background! I just thought if you can't be bothered to wear a mask for others then at least do it for your children, after all if she gets ill, what happens to them?!

Obviously I know absolutely nothing about the lady in question, but please do remember that there are those who are exempt, and not all reasons for exemption are visible.

Max68

Obviously I know absolutely nothing about the lady in question, but please do remember that there are those who are exempt, and not all reasons for exemption are visible.

Oh for sure, quite possibly. Good friend of mine is exempt as he suffers with severe asthma, he says he wears one as he would rather be short of breath for a few minutes in a shop rather than short of breath on a ventilator! His words not mine although you are absolutely right I shouldn't judge as you can't tell..

Last edited: