Type 2 Covid snd type 2 diabetes

Lisa5

Hi all
I’m just wondering do we have any research regarding Covid and type 2 diabetes? Are we more at risk of developing complications if we contracted Covid in comparison to someone without diabetes.

I’m concerned as those who are double vaccinated contracting Covid and some hospitalised. The differing variants etc.

Would appreciate any links to read or other.

Lisa

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Riva_Roxaban , I was typing as your reply came up!
I don’t know of any research but purely anecdotally I have been type 2 for over four years (also asthmatic). I have been double jabbed, the second one was at the end of April. However I contracted covid, tested positive on 9th of this month, I assume it is the Delta variant as this is the dominant variant in the uk currently. I have had mild flu like symptoms plus change in sense of taste and smell, but I am well on the mend now.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had both vaccines & around 25th June I tested positive for COVID - for me it was just like a mild flu - I managed to get up and dressed every day for the 10 days of isolating although didn't do too much else. I now this week feel totally over it apart from I have still lost my sense of taste & smell a bit ... I am hoping it will come back soon ...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I think it’s clear to see getting both shots doesn’t prevent the risk of catching covid

I don’t think a controlled t2 is at much more risk than anyone else…. However if not we’ll controlled or other health factors combined with the diabetes then there is as before more risk..

And the trouble is what is minor for one person may not be for another

I personally think if you care about your health, even when all restrictions are removed Monday face masks should be worn and that extra care used at least until we know a little more over the coming weeks.

I think when everyone is set free with no restrictions and everyone thinks it’s behind us that we will see massive increases in cases…. That’s when we will get real insight into how effect the vaccine is

I certainly will still be using a mask and keeping my antibacterial fell with me

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s clear to see getting both shots doesn’t prevent the risk of catching covid
Yes, this message is not getting through clearly enough. It stops the severity of the illness in the individual, which means that some will get very ill indeed, but before vaccination they may have died. I will continue with all precautions, plus I live with an adult who, due to his youth, has only had his first vaccination so far.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Early trials showed that those with higher blood glucose and hypertension had more chance of bad outcomes.

Just taking a common sense perspective, I would say the healthier you can be is a good place to be for fighting symptoms and maybe recovery
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...ovid-19-deaths-in-those-without-diabetes.html

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informations...ealth/what-makes-you-at-risk-from-coronavirus

It’s what pushed me into getting healthier. I think taking as much control as we can. Trying to lose weight if we need to, getting more control of our blood levels etc. It all has to help to fight off any illness we get. Whether COVID or the flu season that’s fast approaching

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that we had Covid back at the start of last year - my sense of taste and smell, which was always so acute is still strange. Several other people have reported changes which have not reduced over time. It could be a genetic advantage - when the dust settles such things might be looked at.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I’m just wondering do we have any research regarding Covid and type 2 diabetes? Are we more at risk of developing complications if we contracted Covid in comparison to someone without diabetes.

I’m concerned as those who are double vaccinated contracting Covid and some hospitalised. The differing variants etc.

Lisa

As a 46 year old female you already have an advantage over older males..
Best thing you can do is supplement some vit D and get out in the sun preferably without sun screen.
Eat a healthy low carb diet and if you have a few excess pounds try to drop them (low carb will help with that too).

Many people who had been severely impacted by C19 are obese and metabolically unhealthy.
Do all you can to avoid being one of them.

Reactions: coby

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Lisa
I contracted vivid in Jan 2021 am insulin dependant and ended up in hospital for five days.because it played havoc with my levels, took the recovery time of 3 weeks to really get it back under control