Cramp - anyone else get it?

knightmoves

Baking soda will also reduce blood acid caused by something called hyperuricaemia, which is an excess of uric acid in the bloodstream

I had gout in my elbow 20 odd years ago and it was one of those old wives tips got me through it - it isn't something I'd recommend because of the dilution effect it has on stomach acidity and the laxative effect (at least with me) !!

Still pain free, fortunately

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Defren,

I am so sorry I got your gender wrong - I was just trying to personalise of course.

Well at least we both have got an alternative out of this, i.e., Magnesium which I for
one will definitely give it a try. If I do get a severe attack and take Magnesium I will
report my findings here.

With very best wishes,

Rob

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
wiflib said:
wiflib (who is upset because on opening my fridge I have discovered there is NO CREAM)

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Don't you know that cream is an essential nutrient? Sounds to me like you've been skipping your training for the squirty-cream-shotgun challenge.

Stephen

peterlemer

Apologies if this appeared earlier - I posted it but can;t find it so here goes again:

Apart from magnesium, I also use Alexander Technique because cramps are about muscles tightening, and AT is about muscle relaxing ( among other things).

So when I get an attack, I imagine my foot touches the opposite wall, and my head touches the headboard - sort of like Elastic Man :)

If anything, this takes my mind off the pain! :)

cheers

pete

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The squirty-cream-shotgun-challenge is EXACTLY why I've not got any. I'm on the heavy stuff, too.

wiflib

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Pint of slimline tonic consumed over yesterday evening and no cramp or falling over today :)

Flutterbye

I too am bothered by severe leg cramps. My doctor has given me Quinine but alas that does not always work! I told him that I was going to use salt which is an old fashioned cure for cramps and he wasn't too happy about that, but then I am not too happy about having the painful cramps! So if I get wakened in the night I immediately go to the kitchen and take about a 1/4 teaspoonful of salt followed my a glass of water, within a few seconds I can feel the cramps easing and off I trot back to bed and go so sleep again. I have also tried bananas and tonic water, neither of which worked for me. It was getting to the stage I could have screamed with the pain, now I have no regrets about using salt to get rid of the pain!

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
xyzzy said:
Pint of slimline tonic consumed over yesterday evening and no cramp or falling over today :)

Good old Quinine for you :lol:

I take a drug called Quinoric. Another nasty one for side effects, one of which is eye ulcers :shock: I was hoping I would be taken off it as I have felt so much better with my low carb diet, but last week I ran out, and I ended up unable to move for a few hours.

Is Quinine also used as an anti malaria drug?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Jeannemum said:
I take a drug called Quinoric. Another nasty one for side effects, one of which is eye ulcers :shock:

eye-ulcers? :***:

Thanks Jeannemum. That'll be me not sleeping tonight then....

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
Yes I had cramps as well, until my GP gave me water tabs called frusemide and "voila" no more cramps at all. :wave:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a night shift last night (and tonight) I was hoping for some sleep but I got woken up with the toes of my right foot pointing to my nose, twice.

That smarted a little.

wiflib

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
[/quote]

Thanks Jeannemum. That'll be me not sleeping tonight then....[/quote]

I just love diabetes - every day a new condition to worry about :lol:

Smidge

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jeannemum. That'll be me not sleeping tonight then....[/quote]

I just love diabetes - every day a new condition to worry about :lol:

Smidge[/quote]
I have Quinoric for rheumatoid arthritis Smidge, so if you don`t have that you are fine!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Jeannemum!

Jeannemum said:
I have Quinoric for rheumatoid arthritis Smidge, so if you don`t have that you are fine!

Sorry to hear you have rheumatoid arthritis - that must be difficult. Glad to know, though, that i can cross eye ulcers off my ever-growing list of diabetes complications to look out for. :lol:

Smidge

A

Anonymous

I am fine Smidge. It is really well controlled. I do come down the stairs like a toddler in the mornings, but other than that I am in the pink, and the low carbing has helped immeasurably :D

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Jeannemum,

No Quinine is not an anti-malerial drug but used as a paliative after infection and sometimes used ongoing which I feel can be dangerous especially as here in parts of Indonesia Malaria and Diabetes go hand in hand.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not exactly getting leg cramps, more the need to keep stretching my legs in the night. As if the muscle is tight and I have to get up and flex my ankles for a while until the muscles stop twitching. Is that a similar thing or yet another wonderful part of Diabetes?