Dawn Phenomenon

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Okay - so is there anyone out there who has beaten this thing? I mean, it's great that your bod gets you ready for the day but it's playing havoc with me. It goes from the early 5s at 7 - 7.30 to the early 8s by 8 a.m. What can I do?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes time. For me it took more than 3 years and only fully resolved afer following a regime of intermittent fasting for 3 months. Most people find it resolves eventually - but the timing varies for the individual.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been chasing this thing for 6 years and have tried everything in the known universe but still get 10 s in a morning down to 6 ish in the afternoon !!!!
CAROL

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My way of looking at it, is that a finger prick test is just one split second in time, and if my other tests during the day are fine then it doesn't really have any affect on the grand picture.

Of course if this level is causing you headaches or tiredness or other issues then it is something to look into.

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
It takes time. For me it took more than 3 years and only fully resolved afer following a regime of intermittent fasting for 3 months. Most people find it resolves eventually - but the timing varies for the individual.

My goodness - three years!! Does this mean that the dawn phenomenon is common to pre/diabetics and is a caused by the disease?

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I have been chasing this thing for 6 years and have tried everything in the known universe but still get 10 s in a morning down to 6 ish in the afternoon !!!!
CAROL

Hi Carol - it is very frustrating. Have you tried late night snacking? I've found that a late night snack can bring it down. I'm around 4.7 in the afternoons.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My goodness - three years!! Does this mean that the dawn phenomenon is common to pre/diabetics and is a caused by the disease?
I thought everyone gets a liver dump to start the day with? Something about being ready to hunt sabre toothed tigers, I think.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are also lots of variables that affect it - when you last ate (apparently the liver dumps each 5 or so hours of not eating), what you ate, how long it took to digest, how big your glycogen store is, etc, etc. Bit like herding cats, lol. Most people say fasting is the last reading to fall into line. Certainly that was true in my case.

I also know if if my morning fasting level goes up and stays up for more than a few days, that I likely have some sort of hidden infection going on.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried snacks and I tried no snacks You name it I tried it!
CAROL

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes i have beaten my fasting level down to an average of 3.5, it can be done but it takes absolute control,portions, type and frequency of meals