Ketones

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister is in hospital after going into a diabetic coma. She is type 2 on metforman. They told me her ketone level was high and she ended up on a insulin drip and saline drip. I took her to the doctors a week before this happened, with strong stomach pain. The doctor diagnosed constipation. She was obviously suffering with high ketone levels. My sister sees the diabetic nurse once a year. She has a blood monitor to check her blood sugers. What do people use to check their ketone levels. Could any one advise me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
The strips for blood testing monitors are quite expensive and also have relatively short use by dates, so , given she has had one DKA, she might want to try asking her GP to give her a monitor that also tests for ketones and prescribe the strips.

But the urine testing strips that you buy from the chemist are much cheaper.

Were her blood sugar levels high as well?

I hope she feels better soon.

Reactions: oldgreymare

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the pee stix which I buy from Amazon. My meter (Gluco RxQ) will do ketones with ketone strips but I've never bothered because the pee stix are accurate enough for my needs.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they are for a type 2 not on blood glucose lowering medication @KennyA Aa Type 1 used them in the past quite happily until the Dr in A+E informed me I should absolutely have ketone strips for my machine As they are not accurate enough to measure quickly rising ketones when ill.

• Informative
Reactions: LittleGreyCat

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister is in hospital after going into a diabetic coma. She is type 2 on metforman. They told me her ketone level was high and she ended up on a insulin drip and saline drip. I took her to the doctors a week before this happened, with strong stomach pain. The doctor diagnosed constipation. She was obviously suffering with high ketone levels. My sister sees the diabetic nurse once a year. She has a blood monitor to check her blood sugers. What do people use to check their ketone levels. Could any one advise me.
Just metformin? Nothing else going on like an infection or something? Because a T2 doesn't just go into a diabetic coma with ketones present out of the blue, usually... It's a bit of a red flag that something else is going on.

Please tell me the hospital ordered tests for C-Peptide and GAD, to check whether she truly is T2, and not (one of the variants of) T1?

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up - Date
My sister is still in hospital her ketone level is going up again. She still has the infection and is on a antibiotic drip, insulin drip and saline drip. She is not eating and has no energy. They are testing her for various ailments and she has had a couple of
x-rays and they do blood tests daily.
I am still no nearer in finding out where the infection is coming from.

I can only praise the doctor's and nurses in the care they are giving to my sister.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear that @Lorna Tinker I'm glad she's getting good care, and hope the drs soon find out what's causing the ketones.

I agree with @JoKalsbeek about the C-Peptide and GAD tests. Do you know if your sister has had these tests?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got some Bayer Ketostix for ketone testing from Amazon. Reading the reviews on some of the ketostix products there, it looks like some are not genuine Bayer products, so care should be taken when ordering.

The levels tested correspond to a colour chart with levels 0, 0.5, 1.5, 4, 8 and 16. The test colour does seem to get darker with time, so you need to check after 15 seconds and not worry about doing the later reading. The colour difference between 1.5 and 4.0 is not a lot, which is confusing.

Since I use a low carb diet I was expecting to see some ketones. In the afternoon my reading was between 1.5 and 4.0 and in the morning between 0.5 and 1.5. The morning reading is lower due to the dawn effect where the liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream, so less fat is burned. Keto diet users can expect ketones to be in the 0.5 to 3.0 range. Over 3.0 is too high.

Last edited: