Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
And now you can actually test for non-celiaci gluten sensitivity as the cyrex tests are available in UK
A GP with sense and time for the patient is brill - will be keen to read when your article is published..
Any advice for coeliac/diabetics would be fantastic - the restrictions on diet are huge & unless I am at home in the
day just very difficult to manage; lunches especially when on the move. Presently trying to reduce my carbs & succeeding but very slowly
if I go to low then a fainting fit happens. Next book please, there must be a few of us out there?

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking through the forum I was sorry to hear how some of you met a rather closed response from your health professionals .About a year ago I began working with a group of 19 pre-diabetic and type two diabetic patients (insulin dependant patients were not included) who were interested in maximising the benefits of a good diet and wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet. I thought if I could get the work published by a reputable peer reviewed journal you would then have something to share with your doctors,nurses and dieticians. I am particularly interested in the goal of maximising the effect of diet BEFORE starting medication and find many patients agree.
I have just heard the work is to be published in March. The idea is that after the article is published by Practical Diabetes it will be free to view for you all

THE RESULTS : Weight and HbA1c down significantly ,also improvements in blood pressure,liver function tests and interestingly cholesterol despite a diet higher in fats (coconut oil ,butter,olive oil and lots of eggs) Publication is due in a few weeks will see then if I can upload an abstract and a link to the entire thing. Over the last year I have come to feel that the starch in bread, pasta (even whole meal) rice and potatoes is actually concentrated sugar, with a higher glycemic index than table sugar itself. So no surprise that diabetics may struggle to deal with these items in their diet. It seems to me that HOWEVER any particular patient looses weight their diabetes improves. This can lead to some rather stark choices between weight loss and medication!

Going 'online' has its pitfalls. last year my children thought it was hilarious that some of you thought I was a troll, that has now been sorted out. Another is that it's not really ethical for a doctor to give specific advice which is why I cannot answer questions relating to an individual case -sorry. My hope was that the work could help inform the debate between people with diabetes and the health professionals who care for them.

Southport GP, would you have an idea of when the article will be available online?
Many thanks!

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
Looking through the forum I was sorry to hear how some of you met a rather closed response from your health professionals .About a year ago I began working with a group of 19 pre-diabetic and type two diabetic patients (insulin dependant patients were not included) who were interested in maximising the benefits of a good diet and wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet. I thought if I could get the work published by a reputable peer reviewed journal you would then have something to share with your doctors,nurses and dieticians. I am particularly interested in the goal of maximising the effect of diet BEFORE starting medication and find many patients agree.
I have just heard the work is to be published in March. The idea is that after the article is published by Practical Diabetes it will be free to view for you all

THE RESULTS : Weight and HbA1c down significantly ,also improvements in blood pressure,liver function tests and interestingly cholesterol despite a diet higher in fats (coconut oil ,butter,olive oil and lots of eggs) Publication is due in a few weeks will see then if I can upload an abstract and a link to the entire thing. Over the last year I have come to feel that the starch in bread, pasta (even whole meal) rice and potatoes is actually concentrated sugar, with a higher glycemic index than table sugar itself. So no surprise that diabetics may struggle to deal with these items in their diet. It seems to me that HOWEVER any particular patient looses weight their diabetes improves. This can lead to some rather stark choices between weight loss and medication!

Going 'online' has its pitfalls. last year my children thought it was hilarious that some of you thought I was a troll, that has now been sorted out. Another is that it's not really ethical for a doctor to give specific advice which is why I cannot answer questions relating to an individual case -sorry. My hope was that the work could help inform the debate between people with diabetes and the health professionals who care for them.
Looking forward to reading you report - have started low-carb.this week and have noticed lower bs already !

Reactions: 2 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Southport GP, would you have an idea of when the article will be available online?
Many thanks!
Thanks for your interest The article went online March 13 th on the Practical Diabetes website -current journal issue I am hoping to get open access for you all.
While I'm on I have just updated our figures for the 18 participants, initially the results were at 8 months we are now at 14 months and the average reduction in HbA1c is down from 51 to 40.77 mmol/mol

Reactions: 7 people

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your interest The article went online March 13 th on the Practical Diabetes website -current journal issue I am hoping to get open access for you all.
While I'm on I have just updated our figures for the 18 participants, initially the results were at 8 months we are now at 14 months and the average reduction in HbA1c is down from 51 to 40.77 mmol/mol

That's a remarkable result.
Adopting the LCHF as a way of life could change the long-term outcome of a diabetic patient.
I have now been on a vegetarian LCHF regime for ten weeks. It's early days, but I can honestly say I am feeling great.
My pre and post prandial readings are very good indeed, according to the International Diabetes Federation targets.
The only reading I'm still unhappy about is the fasting one, that's a stubborn one.
I go to bed with 5.1 and I invariably wake up with 6.5 - 7.1.
I feel my body is working against me when I'm asleep. I hope with time that will improve.
Anyway, thank you very much for the reply, I look forward to reading your study in due course.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You still have to have portion comptroller whether it's high carb, high fat-whatever....

I personally think high of anything kills....low of anything kills. Moderate of everything is ok. Enjoying eating everything in proportion, having treats and enjoying a life of eating is so much better than yo yo dieting.

Live life moderately, enjoy your foods and enjoy some exercise whether it's painting or walking, gardening or the gym.

Life is not about yo yo diets, it's about enjoying your food, having treats and enjoying exercise...walking in the country, walking dogs, teaching children about active living and getting vitamin d from sunshine without sunscreen.

Live and enjoy everything...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
You still have to have portion comptroller whether it's high carb, high fat-whatever....

I personally think high of anything kills....low of anything kills. Moderate of everything is ok. Enjoying eating everything in proportion, having treats and enjoying a life of eating is so much better than yo yo dieting.

Live life moderately, enjoy your foods and enjoy some exercise whether it's painting or walking, gardening or the gym.

Life is not about yo yo diets, it's about enjoying your food, having treats and enjoying exercise...walking in the country, walking dogs, teaching children about active living and getting vitamin d from sunshine without sunscreen.

Live and enjoy everything...

My philosophy exactly, having been coeliac for over 30years then diabetic it would be foolish to allow my diets to take over the joy
of living; I put the bright smile on most days (not always successful) but we are all so lucky to be living in an age of good medics
as the Southport Doctor & Metformin/insulin etc, without that I would not be alive now! :) Happy days everyone x

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No good to limiting yourself from everything in life.. It makes you miserable. Enjoy everything you can and live...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am aware of that type 2's are harder to cater for etc, but portion size and wise choices are still sustainable, enjoyable choices. Eg I eat meat and veg to allow myself puddings.... If I wanted potatoes and yorkies then I go without puds.. This is why I am still a size 10 30 years on from diagnosis and over 50...
I havent binged but I have moderstion of everything. Sure I also eat chocolate and cake... But how often? How much? I have 1/2 a yum yum pre 4 hours hard digging and gardening at my customers. I have the other 1/2 2 hours in.
Good choices of food and good exercise is important, but so is laughing and smiling everyday.
I talk from my own experience that laughing and smiling during the trials of living with D is hard, but adopting harsh restrictive diets wipes laughter and smile from your face after a while.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
eating yum yums and having your feet chopped off can also take the smiles away imo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I cannot see that I wrote have plenty of treats.. If I did I did not mean plenty of food treats.... Treats as in everyday life yes...
Treats for food in moderation yes..

Life can be hard and tough without turning it completely upset side down on a yo yo diet. Lifestyle change yes... Diet no..

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you mentioned having yum yums, which suggests you are advocating them as ok, i cant see a level of moderation that makes yum yums ok, restricting "bad" foods (yum yums for example) isnt a route to unhappyness, its a route to being happy and healthy but again just my opinion, id just hate someone with less control than you read that and think, terrific i love yum yums ill go get one tommorow, fine if thats what they want to do, i dont care but i think we have to be careful pushing the message that we shouldnt restrict wht we eat, just eat less of it which seems to be your message

Reactions: 8 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
you mentioned having yum yums, which suggests you are advocating them as ok, i cant see a level of moderation that makes yum yums ok, restricting "bad" foods (yum yums for example) int a route to unhappyness, its a route to being happy and healthy but again just my opinion, id just hate someone with less control than you read that and think, terrific i love yum yums ill go get one tommorow, fine if thats what they want to do, i dont care but i think we have to be careful pushing the message that we shouldnt restrict wht we eat, just eat less of it which seems to be your message

Less works just fine for some. Too much obsession with only one way wotks on here.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
dude! i know you feel like that and you may be right! but everyone been here for a while already know what works for them, its the newbies that come looking for advice that matter to me and everything in moderation is ********, what is moderation, in my opinion food addiction is like alcohol or drugs or gambling ive suffered from more than one of them and there is no moderation, we cant eat yum yums, this isnt about low carbing, this is about not telling a newbie to go and buy a yum yum, then saying just eat a bit! give me break

Reactions: 5 people