Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I thought this was the 'Low carb diet forum'? I must have been mistaken-Oh well!:grumpy:

Reactions: 6 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Does that mean no one else is allowed an opinion seems so. Then I can't see what is being advocated is a low carb diet. reduced carb yes. Low like you advocate no.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food-Police-5902.jpg

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my dads favourtie words were, everything in moderation, which in his opinion meant a bottle of scotch a night instead of two, didnt go so well for him

Reactions: 5 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
my dads favourtie words were, everything in moderation, which in his opinion meant a bottle of scotch a night instead of two, didnt go so well for him

That's hard to cope with Andy but it's not the same for everyone. People will behave like that whatever you say to them. People who are capable of stepping away from the brink will do so when they are ready. Did you quite the cigs because someone dictated or because the time was right for you?

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just some thoughts and reflections, not to be construed as argumentative, about points raised above.

PORTION CONTROL
Being on LCHF doesn't mean I can stuff myself until I feel sick with anything that isn't carbs.
However, I must say that it's so very easy to feel satiated when eating fats.
Portion control is rarely an issue, as I just can't overeat, and I've even lost weight without trying.
A very different story with HCLF, however. Perhaps I'm sensitive to starches, I can't say.
But the cycle of carbs cravings used to haunt me and portion control was a never-ending uphill battle.
I seem to have left all that behind me, and not a moment too soon.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION
We're all different, and a solution may work better for some than for others.
However, when I hear people saying that the universal key to health is 'everything in moderation', I am sceptical.
After all, would you have trans fats in moderation? Why not? Surely, in moderation they can't be harmful. Wrong.
Sometimes things just aren't good for us, not even in moderation.
It was Oscar Wilde who said "Everything in moderation, including moderation."
I've tried 'moderate carbs' for three decades, it didn't work for me.
The moment I eat 'moderate carbs' I inexorably enter a cycle of cravings.
I will still eat a pizza, or a plate of pasta, or a baked sweet potato at some point, but as rare treats.

ENJOYING LIFE
LCHF is easy in comparison to HCLF, and as pleasurable.
I fill up on beautiful, non-starchy vegetables, which give me a few carbs without triggering cravings.
For the first time, I feel I can enjoy life without constantly fighting intrusive thoughts about food.
Low carbs works for me, and I regret should people think that I'm just another sad and deprived yo-yo dieter.
As long as I can travel, see the world, admire art, listen to concerts, read books, and spend time with friends, I'm ok.
Food is nourishment and enjoyment, but not a raison d'être.
Personally, I don't need chips to give meaning to my life. I feel a little sorry for those who do.

Reactions: 14 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Just some thoughts and reflections, not to be construed as argumentative, about points raised above.

PORTION CONTROL
Being on LCHF doesn't mean I can stuff myself until I feel sick with anything that isn't carbs.
However, I must say that it's so very easy to feel satiated when eating fats.
Portion control is rarely an issue, as I just can't overeat, and I've even lost weight without trying.
A very different story with HCLF, however. Perhaps I'm sensitive to starches, I can't say.
But the cycle of carbs cravings used to haunt me and portion control was a never-ending uphill battle.
I seem to have left all that behind me, and not a moment too soon.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION
We're all different, and a solution may work better for some than for others.
However, when I hear people saying that the universal key to health is 'everything in moderation', I am sceptical.
After all, would you have trans fats in moderation? Why not? Surely, in moderation they can't be harmful. Wrong.
Sometimes things just aren't good for us, not even in moderation.
It was Oscar Wilde who said "Everything in moderation, including moderation."
I've tried 'moderate carbs' for three decades, it didn't work for me.
The moment I eat 'moderate carbs' I inexorably enter a cycle of cravings.
I will still eat a pizza, or a plate of pasta, or a baked sweet potato at some point, but as rare treats.

ENJOYING LIFE
LCHF is easy in comparison to HCLF, and as pleasurable.
I fill up on beautiful, non-starchy vegetables, which give me a few carbs without triggering cravings.
For the first time, I feel I can enjoy life without constantly fighting intrusive thoughts about food.
Low carbs works for me, and I regret should people think that I'm just another sad and deprived yo-yo dieter.
As long as I can travel, see the world, admire art, listen to concerts, read books, and spend time with friends, I'm ok.
Food is nourishment and enjoyment, but not a raison d'être.
Personally, I don't need chips to give meaning to my life. I feel a little sorry for those who do.

A balanced view of what works for you

A

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
That's hard to cope with Andy but it's not the same for everyone. People will behave like that whatever you say to them. People who are capable of stepping away from the brink will do so when they are ready. Did you quite the cigs because someone dictated or because the time was right for you?

no, i agree and its up to them but people come here for advice, everyone is different isnt advice (its true and worth considering when trying things) nor is eat yum yums, if we give advice it should surely be this is what worked for me, you could give it a try, be it low carb, low fat, newcastle etc etc, give sensible options and not "dont give up anything just eat less of it, yes everyone is different of course and my approach is different from yours but both valid, but the eat yum yum, dont restrict your diet as it will make you unhappy and ruin your life approach will never be valid therefore i take exception to it, its nuts, if you say low carb is no good for you fine, if i say low fat is no good for me fine, portion control is the way forward fine, but the advice im taking exception to is, do portion control or be unhappy, low carb will make you unhappy and you wont stick to it because it simply isnt true in general, maybe for some but for many its awesome so why put people off trying it?

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hmmmm you mean thats not a normal todger? *cough* wow look at that todger! pfffft glad mine isnt like that!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Although this is the low carb forum, others are afforded their right to post. I am a big fan of low carb and try to promote where possible but if someone wants 1/2 a yum yum, live and let live. He is not saying this is good advice to those newly diagnosed. How can we encourage others to try different diets if when they say it doesn't suit them we attack them ? There is a huge proportion of forum members that smoke or drink, we all know it's not healthy but the majority here are adults. I used to smoke and I quit because it suited me, not because a forum member told me it was wrong. This place would be so much better if we could offer advice when asked but accepted things when this advice was declined.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so we are not allowed to disagree with someones advice? regardless of whats said? everything is valid? isnt this a discussion? i would also disagree with someone saying dont give up smoking it will make you miserable, should i not say anything because smoking is working for them?

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yum yum... M&S 17g carb per yum yum. Hardly excessive when I burn so many hours in the normal if 6 hours hard digging....

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Yum yum... M&S 17g carb per yum yum. Hardly excessive when I burn so many hours in the normal if 6 hours hard digging....

But you're on insulin!! Most type 2's are lucky if they even get a meter! How do they know what damage these 'Yum yums' are doing? An annual Hba1c test?? Wow! Everything in moderation? cool but that shouldn't mean lifespan for those who don't have access to what you do IMO

Reactions: 9 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Much tastier and easir to eat in two halves than 1/2 a weetabix and milk when out in a customers riverbanks and woodlands!!!

People have to have their own balances and foods... I dont advicate that everybody has a yum yum everyday as there will be very few females here, size 10 that work so physically hard as I do. Then I go back home to my own garden etc.

High, low levels... Sorry I cannot personally live to such extremeness... Everything in moderation them you too can have 30 years type 1 without complications....

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the name of science I shall when opportunity arrises purchase a yumyum, eat it and measure my BG's at 30 minute intervals. This may not happen for a while as we have no M&S in Folkestone anymore so will have to wait till I nip up to Canterbury next.

I do not expect the results to be pretty however. For a newly diagnosed diabetic I would strongly suggest that it is a very bad idea to include these items in your diet until you have your diabetes under proper control.