Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
pianoman said:
I'm aware that when Triglycerides (Fats) are broken down to release their three Fatty Acids, their Glycerol backbone can be used to reconstruct Glucose (2 Glycerol molecules for each Glucose molecule) But I am not aware of any pathway for the body to create new Glucose out of Fat?

The opposite is true: Glucose (and Fructose) can be converted to Fat.

Great stuff - can I just confirm, though - when you talk about Trigs being broken down, you're talking about fat being broken down from our own (body) stores, right? And when you say:

I am not aware of any pathway for the body to create new Glucose out of Fat?

you're talking about fat from the food we eat?

Bob said:
Your steadfast belief in low carb is now holding you back, "Go with the force Luke"

Cheers Bob - I think re-starting, back on the Optislim ONLY is the way forward.

I must admit - my basic knowledge of lo-carbing (and ketosis) IS probably holding me back a little. For me, sugar is the enemy, and should be avoided at all costs. That mindset may well be (and evidence so far is that it is!) holding me back.

Thanks for the input, guys.

pianoman

Patch said:
pianoman said:
I'm aware that when Triglycerides (Fats) are broken down to release their three Fatty Acids, their Glycerol backbone can be used to reconstruct Glucose (2 Glycerol molecules for each Glucose molecule) But I am not aware of any pathway for the body to create new Glucose out of Fat?

The opposite is true: Glucose (and Fructose) can be converted to Fat.

Great stuff - can I just confirm, though - when you talk about Trigs being broken down, you're talking about fat being broken down from our own (body) stores, right? And when you say:

I am not aware of any pathway for the body to create new Glucose out of Fat?

you're talking about fat from the food we eat?
As I understand it: A Triglyceride (three fatty acids on a backbone of glycerol -- AKA Triaglycerol) is too big to pass through cell membranes and so must be broken down into its constituent parts both when we digest them from our food and also as they move out of our own "Fat" cells or adipose tissue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

Gluco-neo-genesis is the creation of new Glucose from another substrate -- a net gain in Glucose -- as opposed to the release of a pre-existing Glucose -- a net balance.

There is no need for the body to convert Fatty Acids to Glucose as they are an energy source in their own right... as anyone on this 600 calorie diet is demonstrating.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another strange development...

I can't take any lunch today. That 0g carb shake has me still feeling VERY full.

BG is down to: 7.4mmol/L.

:?:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Keep a one or two low cal Slimfast meal bars at work or few of the ready made shakes Just in case
better value are the Cans that make 12 shakes
All the supermarkets keep it on the shelf also at Boots

Try a Kit-kat few carbs and a quick-**** :mrgreen: You may feel better

Kenny

You may think sugar's the enemy, but did you know that a french baguette has a higher glycemic index than sugar? I think baked spuds are pretty high up as well. I always have half a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of tea (twice a day), and because it's only half a teaspoon it's not that big a deal. A plate full of spaghetti, on the other hand, sends my BG into hyperspace. Shame, I love spaghetti.

Also, I'm surprised you had 20 olives. That's a heck of a lot of olives. That must be an awful lot of calories. When I use olives, I'll have four. Just four! Sliver of cheese, one mushroom, few slices of red pepper, four olives, four almonds and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Yum!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Mashed potato is higher than sugar too, Kenny.

That's why it needs lumps of butter to slow it down! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

Kenny

How did you know I ate mashed potato last night? Are you psychic?

Fortunately I put loads of butter in it. Phew! Close call.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You've been bad, Kenny.

How are those Herbalife Shakes working out? Have you considered switching to Slimfast or Optislim?

Ehlana

I think you are doing a fantastic job Patch and have been following your progress with interest.

Did try the 800 calorie diet for a month and managed to - get this put on 8 llb! Thats the trouble with being diabetic and having PCOS as well. Body goes into starvation mode and stores the fat.

Now I am on low GI and 1500 cals.

Keep up the good work...

Kenny

Ehlana, if you put on 8 llbs on an 800 calorie diet you either cheated big time or it's all water weight or your scales are broken. I can't believe your metabolism slowed to consuming less than 800 cals per day. you should do some exercise.

Kenny

Patch said:
You've been bad, Kenny.
I know, I know. Those shakes are not bad now that I'm putting chocolate in them. At the moment I'm doing shakes one day and McDonald's the next. Now if I could just avoid those golden arches I'd be fine. ATM my weight is still going down, slowly but surely. But I need to break through and do a week of just shakes and broccoli. Let's see if I can muster the discipline!

Ehlana

Kenny,

I am going to presume that you do not have any knowledge of PCOS and how it can affect on your metabolism.

FYI though I didn't cheat and I run 3/4 times a week. After guidance I increased the amount of protein and calories to kick start my metabolic rate - once I did that the weight started to come off.

We are all different Kenny and its only with trial and error that we find out what works out best for us.

I use shakes from My Protein that are a little less carb - they are pretty good if a little sweet.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ehlana. Just to confirm - I have no idea of the effects of PCOS. I did try using protein shakes (from the same site as you!) - but I found that they impacted my BG far WORSE than the shakes that had carbs in 'em. (The Optislim Shakes have 20g, and the MyProtien stuff has <2g, I believe).

I believe it was Phoenix that pointed out that in the total absence of carbs/sugar, the liver kicks in, and makes glucose of it's own (Glucogenesis???). The problem with that is, in T2's, the liver produces around 3 times as much glucose as a "normal" persons liver! Causing a spike in BG....

Strange, I know!

However, I'm sure there IS merit in using the MP shakes. I'll shortly be combining 50% Optislim with 50% MP shake to "dilute" the sugar in them. I'll report back on my BG readings. The only problem I can foresee, is that in taking the MP shakes, I was completely full for MUCH longer, and had to miss meals because of this.

Don't know if thi sis good, or bad...

bowell

Dislikes
Always thought could not get much more laid back slow metabolism than me I just sit here all day
Move my eyes around one hand for typing and thats about it as nothing else works :?

Only thing puts my hart rate up is a, Good Barnie with a cold caller on the phone :wink:

I really convinced myself I would not drop a 1lb
I have managed to shift 7lbs in a week on the Bog standard slim-fast shake
and rid myself of all the diabetic Meds how long for we will have to see

Re PCOS am i wrong but isn't Metformin also used for that :?:
I was told by my GP I needed to drop the metformin before i could start this diet :?:

Just shooting in the dark here but if your taking Metformin maybe that played a part so the standard 600 kcal diet mix did not work :roll:

Patch
I do think you need to forget the 1hr+ High if you 2hr+are fine and dandy i would
stick to the Standard mix
...............................Trust in the force Luke ................................

I know i called my thread slim-fast gunk. But its not half bad. I have come to like all of them inc that caramel one now ,So thanks Patch for stopping me from putting that one in the bin

Berrrrrrrp just finished my shake

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that burping is linked to weight loss. When I am burning fat, I am also doing these lovely, hollow burps that I KNOW are an indication that I'm losing weight. After one of these burps, I feel empty, and completely un-hungry at the same time.

I alos had these burps the first time I went on Atkins, and usually burped during exercise (basketball at the time).

My theory - Burping = GOOD, Hiccups = BAD.

Based on absolutely ZERO science whatsoever.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I burp all the time (very embarassing) but I thought it was the Glucophage may be that is why I am so skinny :?:
CAROL

bowell

Dislikes
:lol: My Mum always said skinny girls are best left alone ,,I know why now

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Good work patch.

I'm an avid drinker of diet coke. It makes me burp alot, i often feel like i've lost two stone after a good one.

I still think this diet thing is mental. but each to their own aye :wink:

I'm also scared one day i'll log on and i'll be the only one without a southpark avatar.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Agree with Ebony321, this diet IS mental. Don't understand why one hour after a shake I can go from 3.7 to 7.6 but also lose weight AND get very low fbgs. It sure isn't going to help my A1c though. :shock:
Just couldn't do the South Park avatar thingy 'cos I don't understand it perhaps 'cos I have never watched it. :?:
Am loving the fabulous results guys. Keep at it. I have 2.8kgs left to lose then I am stepping back to pure, stand alone, VLC. :D

Ehlana

Patch what are the ingredients of the optislim shakes please? I tried to find a listing on the net but obviously looking in the wrong place. I am using MP Max elle diet at the moment that seem ok but have stopped working. Without giving the full list here are the main ingredients:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate*, Milk Protein Concentrate, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin), Oat Flour, Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder (chocolate variety only), Conjugated Linoleic Acid, Fructo-oligosaccharide, Flavouring, Colour (Beetroot Red)(strawberry variety only), Guarana Extract, Medium Chain Tri-Glycerides, Green Tea Extract, Sweetener (Sucralose), Vitamin B12, Black Pepper Extract, Chromium Chloride Hexahydrate.

I just wondered what the differences were and if they might be worth trying instead?