Dental Complications

Blissfool

Hi - my two year old, recently diagnosed son, was recently examined by the hospital dental clinic, following acute toothache and infection. They said that two back molars had completely eroded and he had caries on all front teeth (including canine) and lower molars. The dentist said it was caused by breasfedding beyond 6 months! They said they wanted to remove them all urn general anaesthetic. I took him to a private dentist who looked and said that 3 needed removing but that 5 could be managed. I was also told by him and the consultant that it was the effect of undiagnosed diabetes for so long. Because he was so ill with the infection, and wouldn't eat because of the pain, I agreed to the hospital admission, but took along the letter from the second dentist. The first distressing obstacle was that I had to fight to be allowed to breastfeeding my son at 5am. They wanted him free from "food" from midnight! I explained about the diabetes (again and again). And they were contacted by our diabetes consultant. Second distress - they told us to only give a very dilute sugary drink at 6am if absolutely necessary. We had controlled his levels really well through the nigt so didn't. Needless to say, by 7 am his levels were near 2 and falling fast and all we could do was to keep on forcing glycogen in his mouth. He was so distressed. Eventually, they took him to surgery where he was anaesthetised (so so upsetting) and we were sent out. Half an hour later, the dentist comes out and tells us she she drilled all the teeth and that she is removing 6 from top and 2 from bottom. We objected, as we felt very strongly that they should be saved if possible and that to loose all his teeth and bite would be really distressing. She basically threatened us with his condition, saying that he was under general and that was really dangerous and did we want to subject him to that danger again in three months because we wouldn't let her remove the teeth (and more along those lines) - terrified and under pressure, we said ok as she left us little choice. An hour later I heard him screaming for me but despite saying I could go in as soon as he came round, they kept me out for a further 15 mins. When finally let in, my son was a bloody mess and so distraught. I calmed him and we went back to the ward, with him on a glucose drip. No one came to advise or speak to us or him and he was so confused and upset at losing all his teeth. His distress has continued and he is finding it hard to eat and feeling very sad and angry and rejecting all the rest of his diabetes care, which he has been brilliant about until now. And I looked at the teeth, and apart from 3 the holes were tiny. On one tooth, it wasn't even a hole, just a black speck.

I am so angry and upset and I feel that his condition was used as leverage to make us agree to what was the expedient and cost cutting option, despite exposing him to undue distress, eating and speech complications and further dental complications down the line. I realise that I am so afraid of his condition that I allow decisions against my instinct, as his mother - afraid I will make a mistake. But where does this end? Eventually I am the line that protects him. And there are a host of professionals heading our way...

I just wanted to tell his story a bit and to ask if anyone out there has felt this way and how you find the strength to trust that thing will be ok...

leggott

Hi Blissfool. I'm sorry to hear about your little boy and what you've been through. Please don't blame yourself for going along with the advice given. I'm sure if you'd spoken to a 3rd Dr you'd probably have a different opinion again. At the end of the day you went on the advice given and any other parent would of done the same.

About a year and a half before my daughter was diagnosed, my GP suspected diabetes and sent us to A&E. They performed a routine blood test which came back negative. They said that my GP had put 2 and 2 together and not come up with 4. My husband is also type 1 so they think she jumped to that conclusion too quickly. Anyway a year and a half later we were back in A&E with a type 1 diagnosed given. I'll never know if my GP was right at the time and in fact my daughter did have type 1 at the time and that she was in the early stages of the condition. Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's no good beating yourself up about what has happened - what is done is done.

I'm sure you did the best for your son, that you can be sure of. Hopefully as he feels better and gets his appetite back so in turn will you feel better about what has happened. As he is also so young he won't remember what has happened, so rest assured it isn't going to be something he is constantly thinking about.

Christmas is only round the corner so try and think of all the lovely times ahead. I'm sure you will have a lively Xmas with a toddler in the house! Take care ... leggott

jaykay

I think that if I was you ( and knew I could keep calm enough to do it ), I would make some kind of official complaint, saying that I was unhappy with the treatment and what happened and that I wanted a full explanation. This shouldn't be to get back at the doctors but to have someone else look at the whole situation and make sure the correct decision was taken. If it was, then you would at least hopefully have a full understanding of why things were done. If they decide it wasn't handled correctly, then you might save another child from the same mess. I think you have to make a complaint to get a review of your son's case, so you should perhaps make notes of what happened, who said what and what your problem with each part was. That's my 2 pennyworth. Sorry you had such a rough time.You need a lot of support and understanding where your children are involved. Professionals should understand that!

annettekp

What an awful situation to have to go through. I think I would be looking to put in an official complaint too once I had calmed down enough to do it rationally!!

Think I would complain about the dentist who told you breastfeeding had caused this too - complete rubbish!!

Things are going to have to move slowly while Django (and you) recovers from the trauma and the pain. It'll probably do horrible things to his levels. Diabetes complicates things so much.

love Annette

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
This is only a little bit of information that may or may not apply to you but I know 2 kids with diabetes that have had to get little silver caps put over their teeth. Apparently it is a condition often linked with diabetes that the enamel doesn't form correctly over the tooth. Many dentists miss this and it would be unknown if the adult teeth are affected as the milk teeth.

So sorry to hear you and your child have been through such a traumatic event. Having any surgery is horrible but then add diabetes and differing opinions... Why didn't they just put him on a drip to avoid hypos prior to surgery? It gets pretty hard to trust the medical world when there are so many mistakes and differing opinions.

Hope as his mouth heals he gets back into the usually routine and when his adult teeth come through he has no further problems.

Dental2010

Hi,
I am so sorry to hear about your 2 old son being affected by diabetes .I came across an article

dentalcarenews.co.uk/oralmedicine/dental-treatment-may-help-diabetics-control-condition/
...which states that dental treatment might help diabetis in control.Good luck with your son's treatment.