Type 1 Diabetes and Anti-Depressents

katiepolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

this is my first post on here so i thought i'd dive right in haha. I was wondering if anyone here struggles with depression or anxiety as well as type 1 (or even 2) diabetes.

I have struggled with both for about 4/5 years, and only recently I have been put on medication. I am currently taking Venlafaxine 3 times a day at 37.5mg a tablet. My doctor is looking to increase this soon as we haven't seen much change.

What my question really is is if anyone is taking venlafaxine, or any other antidepressant, are they finding it's making the diabetes more difficult to control? The first week for me was the worst. I felt sick all the time and like i was drunk. I was told it would be like that so I rode it out.

Now though a month and a half later I still seem to be hypoing all over the place. I had a really bad one yesterday morning where my girlfriend couldn't wake me up and I couldn't move. I am taking less insulin to counteract this but I find my bloods are going too high when I do this. I am struggling to find the balance.

If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated. Even tips in general regarding dealing with anxiety

Thanks

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I suffer from anxiety and currently am not on any medication, when I was I didn't find it affected my bg much, although I wasn't on the same tablet as you. Have you tried speaking to your diabetes team? They may have had this issue with other patients and have a solution. Personally I would just try to test more, see if you can find patterns before the hypos/hypers. I'd also suggest considering a pump, I've had one just over 2 years and it's fantastic for ironing out the ups n downs - obviously it takes hard work it's not magic, but I wouldn't be without mine now :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

this is my first post on here so i thought i'd dive right in haha. I was wondering if anyone here struggles with depression or anxiety as well as type 1 (or even 2) diabetes.

I have struggled with both for about 4/5 years, and only recently I have been put on medication. I am currently taking Venlafaxine 3 times a day at 37.5mg a tablet. My doctor is looking to increase this soon as we haven't seen much change.

What my question really is is if anyone is taking venlafaxine, or any other antidepressant, are they finding it's making the diabetes more difficult to control? The first week for me was the worst. I felt sick all the time and like i was drunk. I was told it would be like that so I rode it out.

Now though a month and a half later I still seem to be hypoing all over the place. I had a really bad one yesterday morning where my girlfriend couldn't wake me up and I couldn't move. I am taking less insulin to counteract this but I find my bloods are going too high when I do this. I am struggling to find the balance.

If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated. Even tips in general regarding dealing with anxiety

Thanks
I've been on several difderent types of anti depresants but none have really affected my sugars as wildly as yours ...your experience sounds scary to say the least...I'm currently on citalipram and have no adverse side effects if your tablets make you feel this bad ask for a different type...I strongly believe that the depression is part and parcel of the diabetes I've tried a few times to come off then but have decided that one more tablet a day is no biggy and as long as I'm happy diabetes is less of a burdon too.