Type 2 Diabetes and cholesterol

poppy659

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to ask same question again but I just can’t get my head round it all being recently diagnosed with type 2 no medication apart from statins for cholesterol I read in books to have low fat dairy and others say full fat I don’t want cholesterol to go higher by having full fat cholesterol number is 5.6 lots of advice please

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Even if we were doctors, we are not allowed to give medical advice.
There are many people on the forum who have accepted statins and also many who have not.
Reasons people have for not accepting them include:
muscle pain
brain fog
lack of CoQ10
no noticeable improvement in life expectancy
raising Blood Glucose (which itself is a contributor to cardiovascular disease).
doubts as to whether LDL is a cause or merely an association: c.f. police are usually found at crime scenes and traffic accidents, does that mean that police cause crime and accidents?
Low Carb way of eating tends to improve lipid ratios (without statins) and for typical (overweight) Type 2's low carb often actually reduces LD, but without the side effects.

If you are typical Type 2 i.e. overweight, then how about trying low carb higher fat way of eating first. Then if that doesn't raise your HDL, lower your Triglycerides and not make your LDL get high, then consider a statin?
I'm a thin Type 2, so although low carb put me into remission, raised my HDL, and reduced my Triglycerides, it also raised my LDL. However I still declined Statins because of the reasons above.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Atorvastatin for a few weeks after diagnosis. I was losing my mind. My memory went, I did the Christmas shopping twice, I could not function - with Metformin as well I was incontinent and suicidal. My situation was probably one of the more extreme reactions, but if you find yourself becoming absent minded or forgetful I'd advise contacting your GP.
Eating full fat dairy and the normal fat which comes with eggs, meat and fish, my cholesterol numbers have gone down.

• Hug
Reactions: Outlier and filly

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be interested in the continuing HUNT2 research, covering over 52,000 Norwegians. The authors of this 2012 paper suggest that current medical advice has got the cholesterol thing wrong.

Conclusion:

Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.

Statins will certainly reduce cholesterol. The issue is whether cholesterol needs to be reduced.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
You might be interested in the continuing HUNT2 research, covering over 52,000 Norwegians. The authors of this 2012 paper suggest that current medical advice has got the cholesterol thing wrong.

Conclusion:

Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.

Statins will certainly reduce cholesterol. The issue is whether cholesterol needs to be reduced.
That’s the research I always show my nurse / doctor when they try to insist I go back on statins,(which I took for exactly 5 days until the side effects of being unable to walk made me throw them away).

• Agree
Reactions: KennyA