Char96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon everyone,

Just a quicky, I was wondering if anyone knows of or is in receipt of any type of help/benefit for having type 1 diabetes?
I'm on esa due to anxiety and depression as a result of a accident I had due to my diabetes however the money I receive is just enough to cover my billable and I struggle being able to keep the necessary food/drink in for my diabetes. Also I've recently tried to go back to work just part time but somebody of my hours have been dropped for being to unreliable as I've spent more or less every Sunday since new year in hospital in serious dka. I struggle big time with my bloods and managing my diabetes, would any of this go in my favour?

Thank you, Char xo

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon everyone,

Just a quicky, I was wondering if anyone knows of or is in receipt of any type of help/benefit for having type 1 diabetes?
I'm on esa due to anxiety and depression as a result of a accident I had due to my diabetes however the money I receive is just enough to cover my billable and I struggle being able to keep the necessary food/drink in for my diabetes. Also I've recently tried to go back to work just part time but somebody of my hours have been dropped for being to unreliable as I've spent more or less every Sunday since new year in hospital in serious dka. I struggle big time with my bloods and managing my diabetes, would any of this go in my favour?

Thank you, Char xo
You could try applying for PIP - it's not easy to get but it's more about what you are unable to do for yourself rather than a named condition- CAB will be able to help you fill in the form there is also a website that gives excellent tips and advice on the process.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

I'm T2 not T1 so not much help there but are your diabetes team helping you in regards to your control? It may be worth asking them for help regarding getting your BG sorted

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You shouldn't be having problems with DKA other than by exception but I realise that depression can make management more difficult. It sounds like you need help with your anxiety and depression which in turn should help the diabetes management. This forum provides endless advice on actually managing diabetes itself. Are you in touch with a charity such as Mind? I do (IT) support for my local Mind and they provide excellent support and counselling and you can be GP-referred or self-referred.

Reactions: azure

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tackle it from a mental health perspective. Don't attempt to claim PIP using Diabetes as the cornerstone of your claim as it will be doomed to fail.

Unfortunately Diabetes is so prevalent these days that they will do anything to avoid awarding a claim on D grounds as it opens the floodgates to millions of others.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afternoon everyone,

Thank you, Char xo

There's no specific benefit you get for being Type 1. Usually, the Type 1s who do get such benefits get them due to diabetic complications or for another condition they have.

Silly question, but what's happening during the week/Sat to mean you're spending Sundays in hospital? You don't have to say if it's to do with your depression or something.

Would you like me to move your thresd to the soecific forum - Benefits? You can also browse similar threads there. Just let me know and I'll move it for you :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding of ESA and PIP benefits are that they are awarded not due to a particular health condition, but on how the condition affects ability to carry out daily tasks.

Application forms can be quite complicated, and usually there is a medical assessment where various criteria need to be met before any benefit award is made.