Diabetes Burnout.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Green veg, is a good start for fibre, cabbage, kale, sprouts and so on. The old adage: eat all your greens.
Thank you. I've just ordered a kale salad for supper. It looks "interesting" (can't say more than that at this point.:)) A friend who likes kale tried to introduce me to it about 10 years ago.
I do like spinach and will try to buy some this week. Wish me luck!

Reactions: pixie1

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I've just ordered a kale salad for supper. It looks "interesting" (can't say more than that at this point.:)) A friend who likes kale tried to introduce me to it about 10 years ago.
I do like spinach and will try to buy some this week. Wish me luck!
Good luck, there is aubergine, courgette, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, onion, x

Reactions: Prancy and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm eating the kale salad for lunch. It's pretty, I like the ruffles. It tastes a little like cole slaw, and a little like something else that I've had in a salad but I can't remember what it reminds me of. I'm worried that it may try to eat me from the inside out tonight or tomorrow, but it does taste pretty good. And it's got some kind of cabbage(?) mixed with it.

So thank you for suggesting it, @pixie1 :).

• Funny
Reactions: Prancy

jessc8817

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So happy to have found this thread, definitely needed a little advice on low carb foods high in fibre so happy to have some ideas now!

Reactions: pixie1

razza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T1 burned out after 30 years. I'm old, autistic, tired and broken. Life has felt like being a boxer perpetually trapped in a corner, I've grown too tired to stop the punches but the round never ends and the ref never steps in, waves his hand and says "stop the fight, he's had enough".

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T1 burned out after 30 years. I'm old, autistic, tired and broken. Life has felt like being a boxer perpetually trapped in a corner, I've grown too tired to stop the punches but the round never ends and the ref never steps in, waves his hand and says "stop the fight, he's had enough".
Welcome to the forums. Maybe joining this forum and having others in a similar boat might be helpful and motivational and feel like you have an audience/coach on your side at last. Stick around. Lots of us find it really really helps.

biscuitaholic

I am a head of you there, I've been on a destructive course for more than 3 years now... nothing changes.

I don't even live in England anymore, so I don't have access to any help. It will kill me, I know... but being depressed you can never see the brighter side of life, especially when you are alone.

I hope you get through it, because I don't hold much hope for me.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like yes the light at the end of the tunnel is here, then it fades away to blackness
Hi brit90, don't give up. You are worth more. I have had type 2 for 34 years and had bowel cancer 16 years ago which was when they put me on insulin and on it I have stayed. having cancer makes you reassess life. Life is good so grab it and look after yourself. I love, biscuits, cakes, marmalade and do occasionally have a binge. I carve these things. But then I mostly can get back on the wagon and do low carbs diet. If I do no crabs I just feel very unwell. So take little steps cut out as many carbs as you can. So many things have hidden carbs. I also love fruit but a little bit is ok if you are doing low carbs. Have you had a recent assessment with a diabetic nurse? I hope you can make some changes to improve your diabetes.

biscuitaholic

This was great to read. I was diagnosed over a year ago and have been in denial and didn't and still don't take my diabetes very seriously. I struggle to find foods I like to eat, my job is hectic and I struggle to eat on a regular basis. Over the past few months I have noticed that if I don't eat I get very shaky and nearly faint and have to grab anything to eat. I get tired really easily, although suffer from insomnia, feel at times that this is a sentence. I have done many hours research over past week and have got it clear in my mind to start looking after myself and my diabetes and will try and take one day at a time
Well done Zoesena41, your on the right track

Sugarstre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, reading through the thread, it seems like I am in good company here. If you are triggered by downbeat stories, please stop reading now. It seems like I am coming to the end of a long fight. I’m OK with that. 22 years ago, I became very ill with something that infected my heart and nervous system. It left me with heart failure and autonomic nervous system damage. Passing out all the time and completely exhausted. It also appears to have caused a mutation in my mitochondria (The things that use sugar to make energy).

Moving forward in time to 17 years ago, I had episodes of severe pain in my right upper abdomen. Doc thought it was the gall bladder. I thought it might be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It’s a small muscular valve the opens and allows bile from your liver and enzymes from your pancreas to empty into the intestines. Docs said they never test or treat for that until the gall bladder is removed and a quick internet search seemed to confirm that was the standard of medicine. Gall bladder was removed and everything got much worse (as would be expected with SoD). I started getting attacks of pancreatitis. The attacks come on with the consumption of more than about 10g of fat per day. At first I begged for treatment on the SoD, and then later to have something called an autonomous islet transplant surgery to preserve my beta cells. I was unable to get a doctor to do either. Without fats for calories…carbs took the place. I continued to walk as the only exercise I was capable of sometimes.

So over the next 9 years, my pancreas kept getting pancreatitis and slowly losing its ability to make insulin. Additionally, the mitochondrial mutation (likely) slowly made my body less and less able to actually utilize glucose regardless of my insulin production. I knew it was too late for the islet cell transplant to help now. I started noticing my blood sugars increasing in 2015. It took a year until I could convince my docs I needed diabetic medicine. Unfortunately, my other conditions made selection difficult.

Metformin gave me lactic academia, likely due to the mitochondrial disease.

Actos pushed me into heart failure. (Although for sugar control it was a wonder drug)

Docs won’t try (and I agree) DPP-4’s with my history of pancreatitis.

Glipizide was OK at first, but there is some concern about it speeding pancreas burnout, and it is barely effective now.

Farxiga had a good bit of effectiveness, but tends to cause ketosis, regardless of glucose or insulin levels.

After the first episode of a strong ketosis (not a true ketoacidosis, as my blood was not acidic), we stopped the Farxiga, but that necessitated my first go on insulin. We picked a long acting insulin (Lantus) but quickly found I needed 2 injections a day as I did not get all day coverage from it.

So for the last 2 years I have been on Glipizide, Farxiga, and Lantus.

A couple weeks ago, something went completely haywire. I started experiencing strong ketosis and my glucose levels are just all over the place. It is difficult to zero in the right amount of Lantus as I am getting hypos AND very high readings. (I had one pretty scary 390mg/dl, or I guess on your side of the pond 21.7). I will likely have to move to a short acting insulin now to try and bring this under control if I can.

I have doubts about this. I am on a non-invasive ventilator about 15 hours out of the day to aid with breathing. I have to eat when I am able to prepare food. Fat is simply not an option with my pancreas And even loading heavy protein…it turns to carbs eventually.

I have a theory supported by no medical science I can find anywhere that mitochondrial disease fostered diabetes is a different animal. If your cells are unable to convert glucose to energy, there is only so much sugar you can push into a cell regardless of insulin dose. My body simply doesn’t use it well. This is in agreement with years of metabolic stress testing stating my body does not utilize oxygen well either. It is not so much of an “insulin resistance” as a “glucose utilization” problem.

I have doubts I can keep to a feeding, testing, dosing schedule well enough to use short acting insulins. I can only do things when my body allows me to. To be honest, I have 22 years of history saying I hope this is coming to an end.

Last edited:

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, reading through the thread, it seems like I am in good company here. If you are triggered by downbeat stories, please stop reading now. It seems like I am coming to the end of a long fight. I’m OK with that. 22 years ago, I became very ill with something that infected my heart and nervous system. It left me with heart failure and autonomic nervous system damage. Passing out all the time and completely exhausted. It also appears to have caused a mutation in my mitochondria (The things that use sugar to make energy).

Moving forward in time to 17 years ago, I had episodes of severe pain in my right upper abdomen. Doc thought it was the gall bladder. I thought it might be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It’s a small muscular valve the opens and allows bile from your liver and enzymes from your pancreas to empty into the intestines. Docs said they never test or treat for that until the gall bladder is removed and a quick internet search seemed to confirm that was the standard of medicine. Gall bladder was removed and everything got much worse (as would be expected with SoD). I started getting attacks of pancreatitis. The attacks come on with the consumption of more than about 10g of fat per day. At first I begged for treatment on the SoD, and then later to have something called an autonomous islet transplant surgery to preserve my beta cells. I was unable to get a doctor to do either. Without fats for calories…carbs took the place. I continued to walk as the only exercise I was capable of sometimes.

So over the next 9 years, my pancreas kept getting pancreatitis and slowly losing its ability to make insulin. Additionally, the mitochondrial mutation (likely) slowly made my body less and less able to actually utilize glucose regardless of my insulin production. I knew it was too late for the islet cell transplant to help now. I started noticing my blood sugars increasing in 2015. It took a year until I could convince my docs I needed diabetic medicine. Unfortunately, my other conditions made selection difficult.

Metformin gave me lactic academia, likely due to the mitochondrial disease.

Actos pushed me into heart failure. (Although for sugar control it was a wonder drug)

Docs won’t try (and I agree) DPP-4’s with my history of pancreatitis.

Glipizide was OK at first, but there is some concern about it speeding pancreas burnout, and it is barely effective now.

Farxiga had a good bit of effectiveness, but tends to cause ketosis, regardless of glucose or insulin levels.

After the first episode of a strong ketosis (not a true ketoacidosis, as my blood was not acidic), we stopped the Farxiga, but that necessitated my first go on insulin. We picked a long acting insulin (Lantus) but quickly found I needed 2 injections a day as I did not get all day coverage from it.

So for the last 2 years I have been on Glipizide, Farxiga, and Lantus.

A couple weeks ago, something went completely haywire. I started experiencing strong ketosis and my glucose levels are just all over the place. It is difficult to zero in the right amount of Lantus as I am getting hypos AND very high readings. (I had one pretty scary 390mg/dl, or I guess on your side of the pond 21.7). I will likely have to move to a short acting insulin now to try and bring this under control if I can.

I have doubts about this. I am on a non-invasive ventilator about 15 hours out of the day to aid with breathing. I have to eat when I am able to prepare food. Fat is simply not an option with my pancreas And even loading heavy protein…it turns to carbs eventually.

I have a theory supported by no medical science I can find anywhere that mitochondrial disease fostered diabetes is a different animal. If your cells are unable to convert glucose to energy, there is only so much sugar you can push into a cell regardless of insulin dose. My body simply doesn’t use it well. This is in agreement with years of metabolic stress testing stating my body does not utilize oxygen well either. It is not so much of an “insulin resistance” as a “glucose utilization” problem.

I have doubts I can keep to a feeding, testing, dosing schedule well enough to use short acting insulins. I can only do things when my body allows me to. To be honest, I have 22 years of history saying I hope this is coming to an end.
Aha! Yes. I have mitochondrial problems and I suspect that this is impacting my ability to process glucose well. A "glucose utilization" problem sounds like a good description to me

tobythekid123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks this is such an insightful post and helps me reflect on my own burnout situation. I always thought it was 100% work related but now i've realised there's been a lot more going on in my life. Thanks for sharing and being so open.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Don’t Let Perfect be the Enemy of Good​

Perfect blood sugar management isn’t necessary and may not even be possible. And sometimes seeing the little picture is better than the big one. Try taking small steps—such as lowering your A1c by 1%—instead of focusing on big goals. You’re still headed in the same direction, but you’ll have more successes along the way.
This is an unattributed direct cut and paste from the CDC website.