Diabetes Burnout.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got my new A1c, one notch down from last quarterly test. A1c 5.3 the lowest in 13 years.
Not sure how to convert A1c 5.3 mg/dL in mmol/dL ?
Omg! That’s awesome news! Congratulations! I can only imagine that kind of result. I’m in US so use mg/dl. When i read mmo/dl I always have to recalculate it.

IanA123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T1 burned out after 30 years. I'm old, autistic, tired and broken. Life has felt like being a boxer perpetually trapped in a corner, I've grown too tired to stop the punches but the round never ends and the ref never steps in, waves his hand and says "stop the fight, he's had enough".
Same here, add sleep apnea to the mix and the f's I gave have long gone

rayq81

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
59 years old and just diagnosed with LADA, starting insulin next week, I'm in shock as I have went from a perfectly healthy, slim and active man into a weak and sick individual, feels as though my world is about to come crashing down round about me and yet everyone around me seems to think my diabetes is just a "minor issue to be managed"

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
59 years old and just diagnosed with LADA, starting insulin next week, I'm in shock as I have went from a perfectly healthy, slim and active man into a weak and sick individual, feels as though my world is about to come crashing down round about me and yet everyone around me seems to think my diabetes is just a "minor issue to be managed"

Hopefully when you start on insulin and carb counting, that healthy, slim and active man will return.
Unfortunately people who do not live with diabetes have no idea of the impact. Taking insulin and staying in range becomes a huge juggling act 24 hours a day. It can be stressful and infuriating. However, it becomes part of who we are, and 10 years in to my journey I live a very active fulfilled life. I am also fit and healthy and determined to stay that way.
I ignore others opinions and their lack of understanding. I believe that in many respects I’m in a better place health wise as I have to proactively look after myself every day.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may take a while to process, but eventually, you’ll feel better and in a strange way, stronger. Focusing on health and self-care can be very empowering. I’d try to surround yourself with positive and helpful influences. A lot can be found in the global, online diabetes community. We have abilities we never imagined. We can be our best self. I try not to allow my T1 to define me. It’s a big part, but I am much more. Keep posting so you can get support from others.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully when you start on insulin and carb counting, that healthy, slim and active man will return.
Unfortunately people who do not live with diabetes have no idea of the impact. Taking insulin and staying in range becomes a huge juggling act 24 hours a day. It can be stressful and infuriating. However, it becomes part of who we are, and 10 years in to my journey I live a very active fulfilled life. I am also fit and healthy and determined to stay that way.
I ignore others opinions and their lack of understanding. I believe that in many respects I’m in a better place health wise as I have to proactively look after myself every day.

That’s how the so called loved one’s are. You just have to be strong enough to take care of your health and your life yourself. Lot of people are in the same shoes. I am sure you are strong enough to do that.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Mat Bonner

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a head of you there, I've been on a destructive course for more than 3 years now... nothing changes.

I don't even live in England anymore, so I don't have access to any help. It will kill me, I know... but being depressed you can never see the brighter side of life, especially when you are alone.

I hope you get through it, because I don't hold much hope for me.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like yes the light at the end of the tunnel is here, then it fades away to blackness
I'm sorry to hear this, although I very much feel the same. I hope you can find your way out of the darkness.

matt1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been diagnosed for 4 years now and i am making progress with my type 2 diabetes. Last time i went to the doctors, my A1C was 5.94 so it has come down quite a bit since. The changes i adopted and proved to be beneficial were exercising. I run almost daily and it has had a positive impact on weight loss and overall control of my diabetes. I do however understand the challenges of burnout though. It feels like no matter what choice you have to make, its because of the diabetes. It is controlling all that you do and how you feel. That is how it feels to me. Its a constraint on the choices you wish you could make. You feel different - why can't i do what that other person is doing or why can't i eat this or that.......why do i feel so sad and 'abnormal'? It feels unfair. But the first thing i use to bring me back to center is to understand that i have a condition and there is nothing i can do about it. Acceptance that no matter how i feel, it will still be there. That was the first part for me. But i am able to control how i adapt to it through the choices i make.

The second part was to create boundaries and be unapologetic about it. When you refuse to have a piece of cake at a birthday party, don't feel bad. When you feel tired and you want to sleep, go and rest and don't apologize for it. But part of creating boundaries is to educate others about how diabetes affects your life. You get endless advice from people who think they are helping but ultimately, they may never truly understand. Explain how it makes you feel. Explain the reality you live with. It's not about sympathy. Its about understanding. Understanding why you need boundaries and why you have to be disciplined in the choices you make. Don't feel like you have to assimilate to the lifestyle choices of others just to fit in. Be different. Be proud to be different. Define the person you want to be because you can only live for you. To me, there is a beauty in all of this - it helps to redefine who we want to be through the choices we make. You may find salvation from making that journey

matt1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that feeling all too well. Everybody seems to know better than you about how it impacts your and how you feel. I recently created boundaries and i refuse to bend them for anyone now - this has led to some of my friends understanding that the new normal for me is and they have gradually come to accept that its not a condition that can be trivialized. Just control what you can. Don't worry about other people's opinions. Habit will force change and overtime, others will accept that you have to change to manage your health.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! @matt1711 your statement is very insightful and empowering. Reading it made so much sense to me, thank you. When I go and stay with my friends, I feel as if I’m being awkward and offensive only eating part of the meals they’ve made (leaving out the carbs). I’ve often thought they wouldn’t offer me any alcohol if I was an alcoholic.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a head of you there, I've been on a destructive course for more than 3 years now... nothing changes.

I don't even live in England anymore, so I don't have access to any help. It will kill me, I know... but being depressed you can never see the brighter side of life, especially when you are alone.

I hope you get through it, because I don't hold much hope for me.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like yes the light at the end of the tunnel is here, then it fades away to blackness

I’ve been feeling fed up with the whole cycle as well and just recently was talking to my hairdresser about how I was feeling and she gave me the name of a doctor who is more interested in prevention than meds.

My “fed up” point came when I was wanting to use Ozempic for three months and track my progress. I don’t have weight to lose as I sit at 66kgs. The issue with its non availability became apparent when I went to fill script…..no supply. Time and again I had to pause this drug and so could never get three months on it uninterrupted .
Spoke to my gp and all she said was that nothing else was available that works like it. I told her that I was discontinuing using it and she never offered an alternative plan.
Meanwhile my base levels were rising and I was starting to freak out as I was doing everything I could IF 16/8, keto/low carb etc etc , exercising and so on.
Currently using a continuous monitor that I have to purchase every two weeks

This morning after finally getting in to see him I felt like I was being heard. Prior to the appointment I sent a personal email to him with blood tests etc and background of my diabetes journey so he was aware of every BEFORE I got there.

I was already doing more right than wrong and he was a big believer in Intermittent fasting.

This is what he said,
Intermittent fasting is great, however you need to watch for when it seems like it’s not working anymore in despite of the fact that you are doing what you did in the beginning and it worked .

His advice…..do it for a couple of months and then change it up as the body gets used to and stops responding.

He talked about doing heavier weights and exercising twice a day. First thing to handle the DP and after dinner.

I’ve been taking Janumet once a day and he has doubled it.

He talked about Cortisol production and how stress impacts glucose levels.

He talked about protein requirements daily to maintain muscle mass.. more muscle the more glucose the body has to use to maintain it

etc etc etc. What a breath of fresh air he was.

The reason for this long winded response is that sometimes you have to just move forward…get a second opinion and be pro active in your own health and wellness journey. From experience i can say that if you don’t advocate for yourself who else will?

First step would be to get a handle on your depression so that you can see your way forward.

Take a trusted friend with you to your appointments. Reach out and get some recommendations for a health care professional and get a second opinion.

This forum is excellent for some clarity and support but I feel ultimately you need to either go back to your doctor or get a second opinion.

Sending hugs to you and wishing you all the best

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been feeling fed up with the whole cycle as well and just recently was talking to my hairdresser about how I was feeling and she gave me the name of a doctor who is more interested in prevention than meds.

My “fed up” point came when I was wanting to use Ozempic for three months and track my progress. I don’t have weight to lose as I sit at 66kgs. The issue with its non availability became apparent when I went to fill script…..no supply. Time and again I had to pause this drug and so could never get three months on it uninterrupted .
Spoke to my gp and all she said was that nothing else was available that works like it. I told her that I was discontinuing using it and she never offered an alternative plan.
Meanwhile my base levels were rising and I was starting to freak out as I was doing everything I could IF 16/8, keto/low carb etc etc , exercising and so on.
Currently using a continuous monitor that I have to purchase every two weeks

This morning after finally getting in to see him I felt like I was being heard. Prior to the appointment I sent a personal email to him with blood tests etc and background of my diabetes journey so he was aware of every BEFORE I got there.

I was already doing more right than wrong and he was a big believer in Intermittent fasting.

This is what he said,
Intermittent fasting is great, however you need to watch for when it seems like it’s not working anymore in despite of the fact that you are doing what you did in the beginning and it worked .

His advice…..do it for a couple of months and then change it up as the body gets used to and stops responding.

He talked about doing heavier weights and exercising twice a day. First thing to handle the DP and after dinner.

I’ve been taking Janumet once a day and he has doubled it.

He talked about Cortisol production and how stress impacts glucose levels.

He talked about protein requirements daily to maintain muscle mass.. more muscle the more glucose the body has to use to maintain it

etc etc etc. What a breath of fresh air he was.

The reason for this long winded response is that sometimes you have to just move forward…get a second opinion and be pro active in your own health and wellness journey. From experience i can say that if you don’t advocate for yourself who else will?

First step would be to get a handle on your depression so that you can see your way forward.

Take a trusted friend with you to your appointments. Reach out and get some recommendations for a health care professional and get a second opinion.

This forum is excellent for some clarity and support but I feel ultimately you need to either go back to your doctor or get a second opinion.

Sending hugs to you and wishing you all the best
That’s great information and stuff I had been searching for in my fitness journey. As you all might be aware, I’m now closing in on my goal of reaching goal weight (now down 70 pounds), goal A1c (in the 6 range)and goal mental health (lose the anxiety). It’s been a bear, especially with my post covid syndrome and blood sugar levels that needed improvement, but I shall not be deterred. Sometimes, I felt so frustrated and discouraged. It’s like no matter what, I can’t get it right. Thank goodness things have turned around. Never lose hope!

My new Medtronic 780g recently put me in my first 24 hours of Smart Guard mode into 95% TIR! I’m so happy. I hope I can keep it consistent. With this kind of help, I can do it.

I also had a person that I used to date many years ago, call me out of nowhere! He wanted to ask me out! We talked on the phone and have a date for this weekend! It’s like a Lifetime movie! I had been wanting a connection with a man like that and was dreading taking the online route. My last relationship was several years ago. I have no idea where this will lead, but it feels good. Never lose faith or give up on yourself and love!