Diabetes on Jeremy Vine show earlier today

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As ever with Vine's programs, get a few vox pops on and the odd "expert", get Vine to ask some inane questions, (for a supposedly intelligent presenter he asks the most stupid questions), and you have a half hour time filler. He rarely goes into any subject in depth, or with any apparent knowledge. Mostly his program is a waste of time, a supposed "serious piece of journalism" but usually fails due to his lack of ability to grasp any subject.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably about three-quarters through his programme, when Vine and he have a quick chat about what's coming up. I wasn't sure if it was in the public domain that he has Type 2 or he was disclosing due to Vine's comments. I think the latter. See what you reckon.
Agreed - think he was so annoyed he decided to say it. Wish he'd been on the debate as you say - he would have been good.

Jan_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't even understand what they meant by Walking deficiency disease. I would call it 'intolerant to carbohydrates disease' - people like Jeremy Vine wouldn't believe me - but I honestly didn't eat much sugary food before dx - loads of 'healthy' carbs, but haven't touched a doughnut in years. I felt the Diabetes UK spokesperson could have been a little more positive about reversal - like you say it would have been good to get someone up on the latest research on as well with a more positive message.
Totally agree - I was gobsmacked when told diabetic as never eaten sweets, cakes, biscuits etc. But did eat pasta, bread, potatoes ...

Reactions: eggs11

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree - I was gobsmacked when told diabetic as never eaten sweets, cakes, biscuits etc. But did eat pasta, bread, potatoes ...
My mother and maternal grandfather were both had T2 diabetes so I used to eat what was considered healthily ie low fat, low sugar, brown pasta, rice and bread, jacket potatoes and plenty of fruit - my colleagues used to laugh at me because each Monday morning I would bring in enough apples, oranges, bananas, pears, plums, grapes, kiwi etc to last me, and them if desperate, a week and I still got diabetes.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't even understand what they meant by Walking deficiency disease.
That is about the only bit I could get my head round. Years ago most work was manual (blue collar) type, even in the office there was a requirement to carry heavy ledgers about. In the typing pool (remember them?) Doris would hammer the keys, using energy in the process. We walked from office to office to talk to colleagues. Today more and more people work in an office, instead of meeting others we send an email/telephone. The accounts are on a computer screen, no files or ledgers. There is a possibility that some people sit for hours at a time in their workplace. The dangers of fatal accidents at work, lung disease, broken limbs etc have been replaced with sedentary work which is now showing signs of being equally fatal!

Last edited:

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother and maternal grandfather were both had T2 diabetes so I used to eat what was considered healthily ie low fat, low sugar, brown pasta, rice and bread, jacket potatoes and plenty of fruit - my colleagues used to laugh at me because each Monday morning I would bring in enough apples, oranges, bananas, pears, plums, grapes, kiwi etc to last me, and them if desperate, a week and I still got diabetes.

Like me. If you include the berrie sI used to eat as snacks or breakfast I used ot eat abbout 7 pieces of friut a day, somethines this would include 2 bananas. I was told that this could have contributed to my T2, although the main culprit (or so I am told) is genetics as my father has T2. Admittedly I was overwieght an my activity level was what I regarded as low so these could have contributed as well.

Like your relatives, my father has a helathy diet, although not low fat. Every is cooked form scratch, he only uses sugar in his tea, eats fruit, veg, fish 2-3 times a week and as my wife always says, theres not an nounce of fat on him.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Happyhomelands

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a possibility that some people sit for hours at a time in their workplace.
That was me, although split between work and home-working to bring in the pennies. I could sit (although I did get up and move about as frequently as I could) from 8.30am to 7.30pm if I had a lot of work, and also at the weekends. I was going to the gym twice a week, lifting weights etc at the time. I am convinced that (apart from genetics) the sitting for hours contributed/brought on T2. I gave up the home-working to save my health. Of course, the 'lazy, overweight' T2 assertion never mentions your point about how the workplace has changed.....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ironic that this thread complaining about diabetics being stereotyped is interspersed with discussion of cakes!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like me. If you include the berrie sI used to eat as snacks or breakfast I used ot eat abbout 7 pieces of friut a day, somethines this would include 2 bananas. I was told that this could have contributed to my T2, although the main culprit (or so I am told) is genetics as my father has T2. Admittedly I was overwieght an my activity level was what I regarded as low so these could have contributed as well.

Like your relatives, my father has a helathy diet, although not low fat. Every is cooked form scratch, he only uses sugar in his tea, eats fruit, veg, fish 2-3 times a week and as my wife always says, theres not an nounce of fat on him.
I was eating a heck of a lot of fruit before dx - due to trying to follow Slimming World, am sure it didn't help.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was eating mainly carbs. The doctors kept telling me to eat lots of carbs to give me energy to help cope with my CFS.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ironic that this thread complaining about diabetics being stereotyped is interspersed with discussion of cakes!
I don't think it is ironic. There is nothing wrong with any person, diabetic or not eating cake but those with diabetes know that there is a healthier version for their condition hence low carb recipes. It is sheer ignorance actually to assume type 2 diabetes equates to too much cake eating, whether it's a cake, a slice of wholemeal loaf, a bowl of porridge etc, there is no need for ANY stereotyping. Unless of course, you think that only sugary cakes & sweets are the enemy.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it is ironic. There is nothing wrong with any person, diabetic or not eating cake but those with diabetes know that there is a healthier version for their condition hence low carb recipes. It is sheer ignorance actually to assume type 2 diabetes equates to too much cake eating, whether it's a cake, a slice of wholemeal loaf, a bowl of porridge etc, there is no need for ANY stereotyping. Unless of course, you think that only sugary cakes & sweets are the enemy.
Nice post :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether diabetics can eat cake is not the point. The irony stems from the fact that the stereotype of a diabetic held by many people, possibly including Jeremy Vine, is that they are particularly interested in cake and the thread suddenly became a discussion of cake.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether diabetics can eat cake is not the point. The irony stems from the fact that the stereotype of a diabetic held by many people, possibly including Jeremy Vine, is that they are particularly interested in cake and the thread suddenly became a discussion of cake.
Perfectly happy to be part of a stereotype held by many that people with diabetes are particularly interested in low carb cakes :)

Reactions: Brunneria and zand

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't listened to the show as yet and I don't think I will. I personally do not think that just being overweight is the only factor for developing diabetes, no more than smoking is the only cause of lung cancers etc. Other factors play a part. I am not an overweight diabetic, but I did go through over a year and half of severe emotional stress (caring for my dying mother). It was horrendous and I miss her every day. It was the following year that I was so tired that I went for a blood test and was told I was type 2 diabetic and that the cause was bad diet. I didn't have a bad diet. Since then I have ignored the healthy eating plan and gone low carb. It's only been 5 weeks so far, and I've lost weight and looking too thin probably, but I am following all the advise I have learned from the most wonderful, caring people on this website and I truly believe they are more uptodate with how to reverse diabetes than most professionals. Anyway, rant over and lets keep positive.