Diabetes on Jeremy Vine show earlier today

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't listened to the show as yet and I don't think I will. I personally do not think that just being overweight is the only factor for developing diabetes, no more than smoking is the only cause of lung cancers etc. Other factors play a part. I am not an overweight diabetic, but I did go through over a year and half of severe emotional stress (caring for my dying mother). It was horrendous and I miss her every day. It was the following year that I was so tired that I went for a blood test and was told I was type 2 diabetic and that the cause was bad diet. I didn't have a bad diet. Since then I have ignored the healthy eating plan and gone low carb. It's only been 5 weeks so far, and I've lost weight and looking too thin probably, but I am following all the advise I have learned from the most wonderful, caring people on this website and I truly believe they are more uptodate with how to reverse diabetes than most professionals. Anyway, rant over and lets keep positive.
So sorry to hear about your mum @mazza 2. You're right, diabetes is way more complicated than the soundbites heard via the media. I have various food intolerances and wonder how much they are linked to my type 2. One day the media will catch up, in the meantime, as you say, this is the best place to be.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't matter how we got it, other than to make us feel a bit better, the fact is, we got it and all on this forum are doing their damnedest to control it and hopefully see remission.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I personally do not think that just being overweight is the only factor for developing diabetes
I second that. I am one of the estimated 20% of people with a bg problem who are thin. Before I got my A1c I was eating a fanatically "healthy" diet of the Mediterranean type. I was also exercising regularly and often intensely, both aerobic and resistance training. I do get fed up with being invisible. All research studies seem to go, "take x number of obese / over weight people and put them on y diet ..." So as far as I can see it is never clear whether the improvements these people experienced were due to their losing weight or to some miracle food or regime in itself. To my knowledge Jenny Ruhl is the only writer, professional or otherwise, who does acknowledge the existence of the skinny diabetic.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't matter how we got it, other than to make us feel a bit better, the fact is, we got it and all on this forum are doing their damnedest to control it and hopefully see remission.
The other thing that matters is that we know we have this problem, unlike the millions of people world-wide who have it but don't know, and are happily indulging in vast quantities of carbs and damaging themselves more every day.

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Personally, I'd have to disagree. I'd been avoiding processed food for more years than I can remember, except for the three months after moving in with my wife. I gained three stone in three months and was told the salt in WW ready meals was to blame. I've cooked from scratch since those three months in 1989, as I had done before then. My type II was diagnosed in 1997.

We are not all the same, processed food may well be the cause of some people's type II, just not all.
We didnt eat processed food in our house in the 70s so i have to agree.

Reactions: mazza 2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So let me get this right.
Diabetes UK believes all disabled people who are a huge risk of diabetes, are to blame for their diabetes. Lovely!

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone else hear the diabetes debate on Jeremy Vine show on R2 today? Apologies if someone else has already posted about this, but here's the link on iplayer if anyone wants to listen to it:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s8g4z

I found it a bit scaremongering, the most positive parts were call-ins from listeners who'd managed to improve/reverse theirs. Wish Michael Mosley had been asked to speak on it.

@eggs11 Thanks for posting the link...... The message was loud and clear 'Don't die of ignorance' rather a stark warning

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great golden nuggets Jeremy Vine. They are all the same purity(caret) and weight right?

Next time get the majority on your radio station not the minority?

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We didnt eat processed food in our house in the 70s so i have to agree.

We still mostly do not eat processed food here in our country Pakistan/Asia. Of course, in the last 15 years, fast food available at the international chains is becoming very popular among youth.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Whats ironic about all this is they think we walking diseased are the ones who need to stop being ignorant.
When they are the ignorant ones. Fools. :mad:

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We still mostly do not eat processed food here in our country Pakistan/Asia. Of course, in the last 15 years, fast food available at the international chains is becoming very popular among youth.
Unfortunately I believe people in your part of the world do eat a lot of rice and/or breads . I imaagine many of them can afford little else. Adding fast food to that for the affluent will be compounding the problem.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The message was loud and clear 'Don't die of ignorance' rather a stark warning

UK Diabetes Cases Double in 20 Years
Peter Russell

from Medscape
February 27, 2018

"The number of people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled in the last 20 years, a new analysis reveals.

There are now almost 3.7 million people with the condition – an increase of nearly 10,000 since last year, according to the charity Diabetes UK.

The 'Hidden Million' Cases

It is estimated that almost 1 million people have type 2 diabetes but have not been diagnosed. Putting these 2 figures together means there could be 4.6 million people with diabetes in the UK."

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
UK Diabetes Cases Double in 20 Years
Peter Russell

from Medscape
February 27, 2018

"The number of people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled in the last 20 years, a new analysis reveals.

There are now almost 3.7 million people with the condition – an increase of nearly 10,000 since last year, according to the charity Diabetes UK.

The 'Hidden Million' Cases

It is estimated that almost 1 million people have type 2 diabetes but have not been diagnosed. Putting these 2 figures together means there could be 4.6 million people with diabetes in the UK."
Id like to see how much low fat foods have been manufactured in that 20yrs. Also how much stress and shift work has increased in that 20yrs too.

Reactions: DJC3

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Id like to see how much low fat foods have been manufactured in that 20yrs. Also how much stress and shift work has increased in that 20yrs too.
Think low fat has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not to mention zero hours contracts, cyber bullying at school and broken families.

Kitchy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for this @eggs11 listening to this made my blood pressure go up! It was one of these programmes where you just couldn’t win regardless - even the positive message towards the end that you could improve the situation if you had it was treated by Jeremy as probably not helpful as maybe more people would eat more doughnuts if they thought they could reverse it ! The diabetes nurse had some good messages she ev3n mentioned low carb but she also said that most people didn’t follow the advice to eat more healthily and exercise more. I did used to do those things but still got overweight and got diabetes despite doing long mountain hikes etc etc! It was only when I eventually, with some difficulty, found and adopted LCHF and intermittent fasting and stopped worrying about the exercise that I managed to turn things around.....yet the official advice was never questioned so it clearly has to be us all eating donuts and preferring to take the tablets which of course are paid for by our thin citizens as we get them free.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ive been told there is a high probability I had type2 at 6yr old. A bad diet and stress of seeing my drunk father and upset mum.
Alcohol was the catalyst. Just not me consuming it!!!

Kitchy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't hear this, normally listen to the show ,but get the jist of it ,makes my blood boil ,type 1 for past 41yrs , seems nothing changes.:mad:

Reactions: mazza 2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You like the 'blame the fatties' message then! It has been assumed that because there is a link between obesity and T2 that obesity causes T2. I heard there was some recent research to show that it may be the other way round. T2 sometimes starts very many years (perhaps 20) before T2 is diagnosed and that actually diabetes may be the cause of some obesity.
Well, just because someone is overweight it doesn't mean they will become T2 as you need genetic susceptibility but being overweight does increase the risk. Once diagnosed T2 and being overweight then reducing the weight will almost certainly reduce both BS. I don't believe for one minute that T2 causes obesity other than in very rare conditions.