Diagnosed 2 months ago

JojoNZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Green veges!
Hi, Im from New Zealand! I can’t find any good forums so thought I’d join your Uk one.
I’m 43, overweight and type 2 diabetic
So I have yearly blood taken, and In August 2019 I was told I was pre - diabetic. I was adviced not to eat as many lollies which I did cut down on, but I had no idea that all carbs turned into sugars, and I’m a carb comfort eater
Since last June (told pre diabetic), life’s been pretty **** with my beloved Mother passing away, Teen Daughter suffering severe anxiety, not leaving her room and COVID lockdown.
In June this year pre diabetes had become diabetes ( no symptoms) I have diabetes in the family both Mother and Father are/were type 2.
I will be honest and say I struggle most days, I’m losing weight which is great, but I struggle to know what to eat, I’m a very fussy eater, dislike most “green vegetables” apart from cabbage, lettuce and I can Only just tolerate Broccoli without gagging. I have always been a fruit eater 3 fruit and 2 starchy veg.
Can someone point me in the right direction of food suggestions?
I’m fast getting over eating the same foods day in day out.
Blood sugars testing shows I can tolerate a potato at dinner or 1/3 cup rice. Bread is my killer However, even low carb variation.
I’m on metformin 500mg 2 x a day ( but I often forget in the morning) my testing machine shows an average of 7.1mmol over the last 30 days. Not great, but I’m quite happy with that.
Anyway apart from food suggestion just wanted to say “hi”

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Im from New Zealand! I can’t find any good forums so thought I’d join your Uk one.
So I have yearly blood taken, and In August 2019 I was told I was pre - diabetic. I was adviced not to eat as many lollies which I did cut down on, but I had no idea that all carbs turned into sugars, and I’m a carb comfort eater
Since last June (told pre diabetic), life’s been pretty **** with my beloved Mother passing away, Teen Daughter suffering severe anxiety, not leaving her room and COVID lockdown.
In June this year pre diabetes had become diabetes ( no symptoms) I have diabetes in the family both Mother and Father are/were type 2.
I will be honest and say I struggle most days, I’m losing weight which is great, but I struggle to know what to eat, I’m a very fussy eater, dislike most “green vegetables” apart from cabbage, lettuce and I can Only just tolerate Broccoli without gagging. I have always been a fruit eater 3 fruit and 2 starchy veg.
Blood sugars testing shows I can tolerate a potato at dinner or 1/3 cup rice. Bread is my killer However, even low carb variation.
I’m on metformin 500mg 2 x a day ( but I often forget in the morning) my testing machine shows an average of 7.1mmol over the last 30 days. Not great, but I’m quite happy with that.
Hey @JojoNZ ,

The Dutch Jo chiming in. ;) It may be a .co.uk website and forum, but people here are from all over the place, so... Welcome. :)

That said, I am so sorry about, well, everything. The diagnosis, the severe loss you've suffered, and all the added stress... (Perk being, if your daughter cuts carbs, she might get more of a handle on her anxiety. I got a better grip on mine with carbs cut. Depression's a whole lot better too. I didn't leave the house by myself for years, now I can walk to the doc's or the hospital on my own. Big difference! And if you do it together, it's an easier journey than when you're the only one in the household going that route.). Okay, yeah, sorry, I tend to put the cart before the horse sometimes, and blab on. Please forgive me. Anyway... You don't mention meat. Is meat okay? Fish? Poultry? Eggs? Those are all zero carb, practically. I went from a low carb/high fat diet to keto (which is 20 grams of carbs a day or thereabouts), to a carnivore diet: Just meat, fish, poultry and eggs, though others can have dairy, I tend to respond badly to it so nixed that years ago, goat's cheese being the exception, these days. So that's a feasible option, if a bunch of veggies are out. But really.... You call yourself a fussy eater. We have people here with eating disorders, or who can't eat certain foods due to allergies, triggers, sensitivities... Can't stand certain textures or smells or whatnot. So rather than focussing on what you won't eat, for whatever reason: what can you eat? You mention fruits, which are generally a bad idea for a T2, but.... A hand full of berries in full fat greek yoghurt sound okay? Strawberries with cream? Everything within reason of course, but that could work for you. So there's all sorts of berries, animal products unless you're vegan of course, and the usual leafy greens, (aside from the lettuce and cabbage you mention, how do you feel about spinach?). Most of us have no problem with above-ground veggies, pulses are problematic for some, most underground veggies are a no-go. As for the rice and spuds you mention, when did you test for those? Depending on what the meal contained other than that, the spike may have come later. So if you're checking something on the edge of not-good, test 2 hours after the first bite, and another hour after that, just to make sure. You're better off without the spuds, rice, pasta, corn, cereal and whatnot, but this is your life and your decision: you find out what works for you with your meter.

As I am a wordy type, Antje beat me to it with a reply, so you already have a link to The Nutritional Thingy, but... It's not all as hopeless as it seems right now. You'll get the hang of this. Don't need to get it all 100% right overnight, and remember: what is right for one, might not be for another. Trust in your meter.

You'll be okay.
Jo

Reactions: Buzzer81

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. There are other Kiwis on the forum. You're doing the right things so far. For breakfast think eggs and bacon. Have cheese whenever and have nuts and berries for snacks. In McD have the burger without the bun (it's a deselect option) and so on. Avoid tropical fruit but some other fruit is OK.

Buzzer81

I just had a brunch of bacon, tomato, avocados! Delicious and took about 8 mins from brainwave to plate!!!! I would also recommend something that has made my life easier.... in the UK I can get frozen cauliflower rice. Microwaves in 4 mins and has a texture and feeling of eating rice, the frozen one has a neutral flavour as well so works well with curry or stir fry or anything really!!!! I eat it loads and haven’t missed pasta or noodles as a result.

Like you, I didn’t understand the carbs = sugar thing so completely understand that. I wish I knew earlier but all I can do is look forward and make good decisions which I am doing (most of the time!)

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure it will help you as it has helped me

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a brunch of bacon, tomato, avocados! Delicious and took about 8 mins from brainwave to plate!!!! I would also recommend something that has made my life easier.... in the UK I can get frozen cauliflower rice. Microwaves in 4 mins and has a texture and feeling of eating rice, the frozen one has a neutral flavour as well so works well with curry or stir fry or anything really!!!! I eat it loads and haven’t missed pasta or noodles as a result.

Like you, I didn’t understand the carbs = sugar thing so completely understand that. I wish I knew earlier but all I can do is look forward and make good decisions which I am doing (most of the time!)

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure it will help you as it has helped me
Sorry for hijack but where do you get frozen cauliflower rice from?

good luck to the original poster. There is a lot of good advice on here but you can find your own way through. I have lowered my carbs and increased exercise. Have lost a substantial amount of weight in the last few months but am far from perfect and still have cheat days which works for me

we are all different!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is cauliflower rice may come in useful to @JojoNZ as well, so not so much of a hijack :)
I've never bought frozen cauliflower rice, I just buy a cauliflower and grate the amount of rice I want with a hand grater, plus a bit more because it loses volume. It's no more than 30 seconds of work.
I like to stir-fry for about 2 minutes, sometimes using things like onion and soy sauce, sometimes plain with a food to go with the 'rice'.

Buzzer81

good luck to the original poster. There is a lot of good advice on here but you can find your own way through. I have lowered my carbs and increased exercise. Have lost a substantial amount of weight in the last few months but am far from perfect and still have cheat days which works for me

we are all different!

Hi mate, in the UK I get it from Tesco’s online delivery, it’s a green pack of 4 and it’s literally epic.

There are alternatives such as packet rice, similar to uncle bens. That is ok but slightly less awesome.

I have also started buying cauliflowers and then just choosing them up as best I can and then kind of using in a paella style dish.... so fry up veg and any meat/ fish you want and then add if for 5 mins at the end. I did that for me and the missus last week in 15 mins and she absolutely loved it!

Nb. I hated cauliflower until about 3 months ago, now it’s literally the key brick in my diet!!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have several kitchen toys which are quite useful - a Bamix food processor, with accessories, a halogen oven, a Tefal actifry - makes really good chicken thighs and stir fries, and I have a couple of magnetic strips holding a collection of knives which anyone into dismembering would be proud to have on hand - or off. The cast iron cookware is really good, but I keep a curve sided ceramic frying pan for omelettes.
I am pretty old school when it comes to cooking, but I did used to work for Allied Lyons and learned what their aims were quite early on. The welfare of customers was not something taken into consideration, but I did come across a Dr Howard who's meal replacement powders became the Cambridge diet. We did some work for him in the pilot plant mixing and packing. Do try out various things to see if they suit you - having the toys does mean I don't need to spend ages in the kitchen and who would have guessed that aubergines made a good fudge substitute?
I am sure that eating low carb helps when coping with stressful situations, as well as all the other benefits which come with it.

PaulCarlin

Cauliflower rice: easy to make; for one portion, I find that 1/4 of a head is fine; shred using standard cheese grater, into a frying pan with a lump of butter and some turmeric. Stir and turn for 4 or 5 minutes and serve. Finely diced chillies/paprika or whatever makes it colourful.

It's as good as rice for filling, and really good for curry accompaniment.

Reactions: Bex72 and Buzzer81

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi Jojo, it has been a really bad year hasn't it! I think too many carbs in lockdown were my downfall! I really didn't realise the starches were so harmful. I'm doing a low carb diet now and eating loads of tomatoes in particular. Your comments about green veg made me laugh, I gagged after smelling some soup I'd made (basically minestrone without potatoes and pasta), the cabbage smell got me! I'm using the 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book by Michael Mosley and have looked at recipes online at diet doctor. Good to hear that potatoes agree with you, I will try a little myself.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Cauliflower rice: easy to make; for one portion, I find that 1/4 of a head is fine; shred using standard cheese grater, into a frying pan with a lump of butter and some turmeric. Stir and turn for 4 or 5 minutes and serve. Finely diced chillies/paprika or whatever makes it colourful.

It's as good as rice for filling, and really good for curry accompaniment.
Sounds delicious, I had put mine in the blender, grated sounds much better and the spices sound perfect.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm in Australia so just across the pond from you and a fellow carb comfort eater (reformed)

This site really is the best place to get help, information and support.

I'm a type 2 and like you not really a fan of the veggies except things like potato, sweet potato etc- you get the gist. The good news for me is that a large number of other vegetables are now permanently off my diet (carrots- I'm looking at you).

I eat cauliflower mash- I add a very little spring onion or chives and cheese- or cream so while it is not potato is is a good substitute. Cauliflower rice is another and Zoodles are actually worthwhile exploring.

I've lost weight going low carb rather than low calorie,

And yes- stress and anxiety do not help with blood sugar levels- which is **** since you don't deliberately try to be stressed or anxious. However, low carb will help with the levels and may help with other things- low carb has got rid of my asthma even during the fires- I think NZ got some of our smoke but here it was truely terrible.

Good luck and welcome- read around the people here are awesome and willing to listen support and offer suggestions.

JojoNZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Green veges!
Hi folks, thanks for all your replies. In an odd turn of events at this stage and only after 3 months I appear to be what doc calls remission, I wouldn’t go that far but anyway. Not sure how your readings work in the uk, but in NZ the Ha1bc ranges are below 40 normal 40-50 pre diabetic and above 50 diabetic. So my test 3 months ago was 63. Last Friday 30. I’ve lost 12kg as well, so I have to still do what I’m doing as clearly it is working! And cut down to 1 500mg metformin a day.
So fingers crossed I can maintain it at this level, but no higher than 40! I know I’m never going to be able to go back to being a high carb eater, which does still get me down, but I’m super proud of myself for the progress so far :):)