Diagnosed 21/04/2018

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I have been around a few months now on this site reading up on others and learning from all of you. Well here's my story and it could be a long one...
Diagnosed on the 21/04/2018 by my doctor after a Man check up a week earlier made by partner Karen, which I thank her for. As I had been putting it off like us men do for couple of years!
Symptoms I was having I put down to my age, not diabetes!
My HbA1 99
Glucose-24
Cholesterol 7.3
Triglyceride - 13.9
BMI 26.55
13st10 87kgs
I was put on Simvastim and 3×500mg Metformin straight away obviously on the 3 week formula to the 4th week and you are taken 3 a day at intervals.
My doctor also referred me to the Consultant as soon as possible! Left the doctors in total shock and quite low. With not much information to go home with.
Straight round to the Chemist to get the prescription at £34. The chemist informed me about the Medical Exception card, which she gave me the form and that has to signed by the doctor which she didn't imform me about. All done within a week
and my money back.
13/06/18 which was a Wednesday and the day I had my Consultant appointment.
Checked BP, Height, weight and foot pulse by the nurse. Saw the Consultant of which she said it was a bit early for her to see me. As she didn't have any further information on me from the previous bloods and not enough time has elapsed for new ones as I have learnt now. She did refer me to the Diabetic Eye Screening service. Although I did find out on Wednesday's at this clinic is a walk in one for education which if I had known I could have been here sooner. As the further two are by appointment.
11/07/18 Diabetic Clinic. Weighted in at 12st10lb and some more education on Diabetes. Also had my Diabetic Eye Screening today and that came back all clear.
Can't remember when it was though I did change my Metformin to Metformin slow release because after eating some foods I would have to go quite quickly!!! Much better and so simple now that I take 2 750mg in the morning and thats it for the day.
26/07/18 Diabetic Session 2
Pee samples and more education.
21/08/18 Podiatrist appointment. My toe nails have never looked so GOOD. She also did the foot test aswell. Instructed me what and how to look after them. Which I am doing. My toenails were in bad shape as I wear steel toecap shoes for work and it's the micro Knocking that damages them. Where is the Government Health warning on them when you buy them! If only I knew them!
22/08/18 Blood Test in readiness for next week's Clinic.
31/08/18 Diabetes Session 3
Glucose-7.7
HBA1 - 65
Cholesterol - 5
Triglyceride - 2
Weight 12st 5 80kgs
BMI 26.3
As my results show so far over a busy summer. I am doing something right and Diabetes is controllable. A nightmare at first as life is changed in an instead. Thou through my own research and this website which helps me and many others, I thank you.
Next Consultant appointment 15/10/18.

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Freckledjet, Welcome and very well done on your progress! And on navigating the health system.!!
Could you tell us what your diet is and how your weight is going?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My toenails were in bad shape as I wear steel toecap shoes for work and it's the micro Knocking that damages them
Hello @Freckledjet, you have written a classic English understated account of what must have been a desperately upsetting time. Thank heaven for your partner! I am wondering if you are still obliged to wear the steelcap shoes for work? If so, have you considered cushioning your feet with the thickest wool loopstitch hiking socks? I get very cold feet and I have found Bridgedale's thick socks extremely helpful and comfortable. They cost an arm and a leg, and for a long time I resisted paying so much just for a pair of socks, but when I did invest I found they last pretty much forever, if you wash them by hand in warm (not hot) water. I sometimes wear a pair of thin liner socks inside the wool ones, which keeps the outer socks cleaner for longer, but perhaps if you work in dirty conditions that would not help. NB don't be tempted by the cheaper prices of the Heatholder socks. They are great as bedsocks, but wear out very fast if you walk far in them. IMO Bridgedale are the ones!
https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/men-s-accessories/socks/middle-heavyweight-socks/

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Freckledjet. Well done on your HbA1c and weight reductions to date. Good to hear that you have found this forum useful.

Reactions: kitedoc

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Freckledjet, Welcome and very well done on your progress! And on navigating the health system.!!
Could you tell us what your diet is and how your weight is going?
Thank for your reply. As for navigating the NHS so far! Now here they do a great job as we all know the pressure and constraints they are now in which shouldn't be.
As for my diet, I don't really have one. From my Diabetic education I am purely looking at what I eat and how much when especially when it is Carbs. Changed my snacking from biscuits/choc to fruit/veg. Looking at the traffic light system when buying stuff which I never done before. All in all just thinking about what goes in!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You would do well to ignore the traffic light label and turn the products over to look at the nutritional information. Those of us with Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes should be aware of the carbohydrate values in our foods as it is these that our bodys cannot metabolise efficiently. Sugar (as per the traffic lights) is just one kind of carb.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to wear steel toe caps and found that they required putting in a vice and the heel pulling up so as to curve the sole - they had a metal layer in the sole. If that was not done the toe cap pressed down on my toenails. I wrapped the toes in cloth to protect the leather from the jaws of the vice. Once the sole was shaped more like a traditional clog they were fine.
I also do not advise eating carby foods such as fruit and veges as snacks, and the traffic light system is totally useless as it doesn't even show the amount of carbs in a product - check on the back or side to find the carbs.