Diagnosed today

Cavvycuddler

Hi All

I'm not sure really what to write here as I've not really been given much info by the GP so I'm feeling a bit lost right now. I was officially diagnosed today at age 36 after 2 blood tests. I feel very embarrassed so have decided not to tell anybody except my immediate family so I don't have anyone to talk to about it as they know as little as I do about how to manage the disease.

I assume I am type 2 as I am overweight and have PCOS. I'm not sure exactly what my level is cos the doctor I saw after my 1st blood test said 59 (I think) but the doctor I saw today quickly showed me the screen which said 7.something so I think they are using different units and I'm struggling to get to grips with the numbers I'm reading about on the internet. I've been at the high end of the normal range each year since being diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago but this year's test shows I'm now already in the diabetic range. I've been put back on metformin but a lower dose (I was prescribed this at 1500mg daily to help manage pcos symptoms but I stopped because of the stomach problems) so I've been told to just take 500mg of the slow release a day until I'm used to it. The doctor said at the level I'm at they wouldn't normally prescribe medication but is happy to given it would help my pcos symptoms as well so I really hope I manage better with it this time.

I also have high blood pressure so my meds for that have been increased but the doctor I saw a few weeks ago said my cholesterol levels were 'brilliant'.

I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next Thursday. Is there anything I should be prepared for or should ask?

Sorry for the long post.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cavvycuddler and welcome to the forum, first I’ll tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
Now I’d like to say first that this is not your fault and nothing to be ashamed of. There are many people around who eat a constant diet of junk food and never get Type 2, nobody knows whether they are destined to get it or not. Now how to deal with this, I was diagnosed two years ago and was put on Metformin, I started a low carb way of eating and tested my blood sugars before and after meals to see which foods I tolerated best. I got my HbA1c from 70 to 36 in four months, oh by the way your reading of 59 is the new units which is 7.5% in old money, anything over 48 is diabetic..
I also lost a shed load of weight on this regime. Look around the forum and ask any questions you might have, you’ve come to the right place, loads of help and support here.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd advise telling at least your blood relatives - diabetes tends to run in families and you could alert them to a possible need for testing. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, it is no more your fault than the colour of your eyes or shape of your ears is determined by something you did.
For most people reducing the amount of carbohydrate eaten also reduces the level of glucose in the blood.
If you can find out your Hba1c level then the severity of the situation will be clearer.
I am on a low carb forum and there have been several OMG I'm pregnant messages over the years, as low carb can be a very effective tool to lower blood glucose and restore normality - so do be warned.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I'm not sure really what to write here as I've not really been given much info by the GP so I'm feeling a bit lost right now. I was officially diagnosed today at age 36 after 2 blood tests. I feel very embarrassed so have decided not to tell anybody except my immediate family so I don't have anyone to talk to about it as they know as little as I do about how to manage the disease.

I assume I am type 2 as I am overweight and have PCOS. I'm not sure exactly what my level is cos the doctor I saw after my 1st blood test said 59 (I think) but the doctor I saw today quickly showed me the screen which said 7.something so I think they are using different units and I'm struggling to get to grips with the numbers I'm reading about on the internet. I've been at the high end of the normal range each year since being diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago but this year's test shows I'm now already in the diabetic range. I've been put back on metformin but a lower dose (I was prescribed this at 1500mg daily to help manage pcos symptoms but I stopped because of the stomach problems) so I've been told to just take 500mg of the slow release a day until I'm used to it. The doctor said at the level I'm at they wouldn't normally prescribe medication but is happy to given it would help my pcos symptoms as well so I really hope I manage better with it this time.

I also have high blood pressure so my meds for that have been increased but the doctor I saw a few weeks ago said my cholesterol levels were 'brilliant'.

I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next Thursday. Is there anything I should be prepared for or should ask?

Sorry for the long post.
Well done on finding this forum and welcome. The more you read around on here the more enlightened you’ll feel.
In addition For more menu and food ideas to get you started if you go low carb like many of us here do very successfully is
Www,dietdoctor.com
You will feel shocked and it will take a while for it to sink in but the most wonderful news is that you can turn things around just by changing what you eat and using a blood glucose meter to look at how different foods impact on your bloods. Be kind to yourself while you adjust and take charge of your health.

Reactions: Cavvycuddler

Cavvycuddler

Hi Cavvycuddler and welcome to the forum, first I’ll tag in @diasy1 for her useful info post.
Now I’d like to say first that this is not your fault and nothing to be ashamed of. There are many people around who eat a constant diet of junk food and never get Type 2, nobody knows whether they are destined to get it or not. Now how to deal with this, I was diagnosed two years ago and was put on Metformin, I started a low carb way of eating and tested my blood sugars before and after meals to see which foods I tolerated best. I got my HbA1c from 70 to 36 in four months, oh by the way your reading of 59 is the new units which is 7.5% in old money, anything over 48 is diabetic..
I also lost a shed load of weight on this regime. Look around the forum and ask any questions you might have, you’ve come to the right place, loads of help and support here.
Hi thank you so much for your kind reply.

I'm also thinking about buying myself a monitor. I'm thinking if I have a better understanding of what level I'm aiming for and how different foods affect me I might find it easier to resist my evening chocolate treat.

I really have no idea about counting carbs though in all honesty as every diet or bit of advise I've received in the past focuses on calories and fat so I'm hoping I'll be able to go on one the courses for newly diagnosed diabetics to educate me in that area as the first doctor I saw after my initial blood test said I should be offered one if diagnosed.

Well done on managing yours so well, its inspiring to hear xx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The good news is that you can forget all about counting calories. And if you like the dark chocolate (anything over 85%) then you can still have a small treat. Welcome, have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Shas3

Cavvycuddler

Well done on finding this forum and welcome. The more you read around on here the more enlightened you’ll feel.
In addition For more menu and food ideas to get you started if you go low carb like many of us here do very successfully is
Www,dietdoctor.com
You will feel shocked and it will take a while for it to sink in but the most wonderful news is that you can turn things around just by changing what you eat and using a blood glucose meter to look at how different foods impact on your bloods. Be kind to yourself while you adjust and take charge of your health.
Hi thanks so much. I will definitely take a look at that website and would like to buy myself a monitor to help me get a grip on this xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you so much for your kind reply.

I'm also thinking about buying myself a monitor. I'm thinking if I have a better understanding of what level I'm aiming for and how different foods affect me I might find it easier to resist my evening chocolate treat.

I really have no idea about counting carbs though in all honesty as every diet or bit of advise I've received in the past focuses on calories and fat so I'm hoping I'll be able to go on one the courses for newly diagnosed diabetics to educate me in that area as the first doctor I saw after my initial blood test said I should be offered one if diagnosed.

Well done on managing yours so well, its inspiring to hear xx

Have a read of this about low carb eating:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Just start by cutting down on the obvious ones like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals, cakes, pastries etc... There are still sweet treats you can have like dark chocolate or if you like baking there are loads of recipes on the internet for low carb cakes.

Cavvycuddler

I'd advise telling at least your blood relatives - diabetes tends to run in families and you could alert them to a possible need for testing. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, it is no more your fault than the colour of your eyes or shape of your ears is determined by something you did.
For most people reducing the amount of carbohydrate eaten also reduces the level of glucose in the blood.
If you can find out your Hba1c level then the severity of the situation will be clearer.
I am on a low carb forum and there have been several OMG I'm pregnant messages over the years, as low carb can be a very effective tool to lower blood glucose and restore normality - so do be warned.
Hi thank you for your reply.

I've told my mum and siblings but it's more colleagues and friends I'm reluctant to tell at the moment I guess.

I'm going to ask for my readings at my appointment so I can keep a record of progress.

Restoring normality sounds very good to me! Xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you get hold of a copy of Dr Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code you will learn an aweful lot. You will also see that low carb, in some cases, makes PCOS go away.

There is a wealth of information and experience on this site. Prepare to be overwhelmed, we all were at diagnosis. Don't worry about anything for now. Things will fall into place.

Next time you go to the surgery, ask for a printout of your results.

When you buy your meter (smart move), download the mySugr app. Record your readings and food you consumed. You will find it invaluable.

The help I got from this forum enabled me to get my numbers down from 122 to 35 in 4 months. I went keto which is less than 20g carbs per day. OK so I was pretty fanatical but I felt I had no option.

Everything you thought you knew about dieting will be turned on its head. You will make mistakes. Treat every mistake as part of your education. We have all been where you are now. You are amongst friends. Your new bestest friend will be your meter.

Cavvycuddler

If you get hold of a copy of Dr Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code you will learn an aweful lot. You will also see that low carb, in some cases, makes PCOS go away.

There is a wealth of information and experience on this site. Prepare to be overwhelmed, we all were at diagnosis. Don't worry about anything for now. Things will fall into place.

Next time you go to the surgery, ask for a printout of your results.

When you buy your meter (smart move), download the mySugr app. Record your readings and food you consumed. You will find it invaluable.

The help I got from this forum enabled me to get my numbers down from 122 to 35 in 4 months. I went keto which is less than 20g carbs per day. OK so I was pretty fanatical but I felt I had no option.

Everything you thought you knew about dieting will be turned on its head. You will make mistakes. Treat every mistake as part of your education. We have all been where you are now. You are amongst friends. Your new bestest friend will be your meter.
Hi thank you I will definitely have a look for that book!

Wow! That's so good you got your figures down so quickly! You guys really are an inspiration and I'm starting to feel more confident already

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More reading for when you have time introducing you to low carb.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anything you feel like eating, Google it but put keto first. Even if you decide to go LCHF instead of keto, you will find some great sites. If you have a sweet tooth Google fat bombs. If you like pizza, look up fat head dough. If you like muffins lookup keto muffins. Available sweet or savoury, some are freezable.

It is a different way of eating. It is sustainable. If they pronounced me cured, I would not go back to my old habits.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to ask for my readings at my appointment so I can keep a record of progress.

Restoring normality sounds very good to me! Xx

You have had brilliant advice in all the above posts, so I won't repeat things, except in my opinion a meter ids essential.

Don't just ask for the numbers. You are entitled to print outs. These will include not just blood glucose but also the cholesterol, lipids, liver and kidney functions, and anything else they tested. All these are important for us to know. Please never accept the words "fine" or "excellent" or "poor" or whatever. You need to know the exact readings so you can keep tabs on your progression. If you are in England you can ask if your surgery puts test results on line as they should be doing, and how to register for this service. If I were you I would get these print outs ASAP so you have them before you next see your doctor or nurse. This will give you time to research and ask questions on the forum if needs be.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with bluetit. Unfortunately, my surgery won't put records online. At the end of the day it's a local decision.

Cavvycuddler

Thanks so much everyone for making me feel, not making me feel ashamed or stupid and for all the advise and pointing me in the direction with reading and websites. I'm looking forward to changing my life xx