Diagnosed today

Paulm80

Hi all, went to drs weds with a stomach problem and had blood tests. Today I get a phone call telling me to come into the surgery straight away. On arrival I was ushered into a room and told I had diabetes, they ain’t sure which type and I was told my blood sugar was very high and I had probably had it for quite some time. I then had to give urine sample so they could check keps or kets?? Have to go back Tuesday for results but obviously I’m very worried now. Feel like **** and that life as I know it is now over !

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't panic but do keep the carbs down and drink plenty of water until you get your results. Kets would be Ketones. These could be a sign of problems if you are a Type 1 and fat burning due to lack of your own insulin to burn carbs. Fat burning together with high blood sugar is not good. However for most the diagnosis will be T2 and high ketones would be rare.

Paulm80

Hi. Don't panic but do keep the carbs down and drink plenty of water until you get your results. Kets would be Ketones. These could be a sign of problems if you are a Type 1 and fat burning due to lack of your own insulin to burn carbs. Fat burning together with high blood sugar is not good. However for most the diagnosis will be T2 and high ketones would be rare.

Thanks , just couldn’t help feeling they were a bit stress, do you always get tested for kets on diagnosis then? Thanks

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Welcome to the forum @Paulm80 and it’s such a shock isn’t it?! We have people from all walks of life here so no matter what we shall be here to help! But life isn’t over, this can be managed and put to rest because diabetes doesn’t have to run your life.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, went to drs weds with a stomach problem and had blood tests. Today I get a phone call telling me to come into the surgery straight away. On arrival I was ushered into a room and told I had diabetes, they ain’t sure which type and I was told my blood sugar was very high and I had probably had it for quite some time. I then had to give urine sample so they could check keps or kets?? Have to go back Tuesday for results but obviously I’m very worried now. Feel like **** and that life as I know it is now over !
I was so ill/weak when diagnosed, life felt pretty much over as it was. My knees kept giving out, my husband cut my food because I couldn't put enough pressure on knives. I was just existing. Once I knew what the problem was though... I can honestly say I got my life back. Just by changing how I eat. Low carb can make one heck of a difference in quality of life. So please, realise there is hope for you yet. You've not got one foot in the grave, though it may feel that way right now. Stick around here, read, learn... You'll be okay. Diabetes is managable. Type 2 through diet and/or medication, Type 1 with insulin, and all other types in between too. The folks here on the forum are living proof.

Hang in there. Maybe read the blogpost I've linked in my signature below, this forum's website, dietdoctor.com and Dr Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. There's help and answers out there. You're not alone, and it's not hopeless.
Hugs,
Jo

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are lucky to give a blood test and urine sample as when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I only give a urine test to my GP and then straight to the hospital for 3 days but it's not the end of the world as I have had it for 25 yrs and my sugars were 30 plus when I was diagnosed but now they are roughly where they should be with the odd high now and then but that is diabetes on insulin for you

D

Deleted member 508720

Hi, Paul
I'm really sorry to read your post. I had almost the same thing happened to me just over three weeks ago. The doctor phoned to tell me I had diabetes and asked me to go straight to the surgery to see him. I was terribly upset. I can imagine how you feel. You may feel that it is the end of life as you know it but, once you come to terms with it, you will realise that there is a lot of help and support there for you. For example, Diabetes UK "The Learning Zone" is an excellent website. There are also local groups which you can join, run by Diabetes UK.

I have completely changed the way I was eating. Small changes can make a huge difference. I now drink sparkling spring water instead of sugary drinks. I eat lots of fresh vegetables, lean meat and salads. I no longer eat biscuits, cake, puddings or chocolate, although I am assured by the experts that these can be eaten in moderation. Ask your doctor about the DESMOND Course, which you could be booked 'on. This helps you know which foods to eat.

Don't be too downhearted. Once you get your diabetes under control, you will soon be back to life as you once knew it.

Kind regards
Sheila

Reactions: Paulm80

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Paul
I'm really sorry to read your post. I had almost the same thing happened to me just over three weeks ago. The doctor phoned to tell me I had diabetes and asked me to go straight to the surgery to see him. I was terribly upset. I can imagine how you feel. You may feel that it is the end of life as you know it but, once you come to terms with it, you will realise that there is a lot of help and support there for you. For example, Diabetes UK "The Learning Zone" is an excellent website. There are also local groups which you can join, run by Diabetes UK.

I have completely changed the way I was eating. Small changes can make a huge difference. I now drink sparkling spring water instead of sugary drinks. I eat lots of fresh vegetables, lean meat and salads. I no longer eat biscuits, cake, puddings or chocolate, although I am assured by the experts that these can be eaten in moderation. Ask your doctor about the DESMOND Course, which you could be booked 'on. This helps you know which foods to eat.

Don't be too downhearted. Once you get your diabetes under control, you will soon be back to life as you once knew it.

Kind regards
Sheila
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear your news but as others have said diabetes is a condition that can be managed not the end of your life You will have to make some lifestyle adjustments though particularly to diet and exercise regime and/or medication but more on that when you know what type of diabetes you have.

I know it may not feel like it but you are infinitely better off today than you were yesterday. Today you are a diabetic but yesterday you were something much worse for your health and well being, an undiagnosed diabetic

Think of your diagnosis as something positive as now you know and that will empower you to take control and stay healthy.

Read around the forum and ask as many questions as you feel you need to. There are many of very knowledgable and very experienced people here that will be only to willing to help.

Regards

Pavlos

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hi @Paulm80
Warm welcome to the forum .

Reactions: Paulm80

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Hi @Paulm80 , welcome to the forum, you are in the best place for information and advice. Life is not over, it may be different but certainly not over. For some of us, it is a new beginning.
Absorb all the information, question everything, buy a meter, test your blood sugars regularly and work out the way forward for you.
Good luck on your journey, lots of people here willing to help.