bytorphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I got called in to my GP last Tuesday after two lots of bloods and a urine test to be told I have type 2.

I'd asked for the tests due to my eyesight getting very blurry and losing >20kg in 6 months, along with migraines.

Got a meter and I'm testing 3-4 times a day and my BG levels vary from about 15mmol/L before breakfast to 28 before bed.

I'm on Gliclazide, 80mg twice per day.

I just tested and it came out at 28.3mmol/L.

I hit 8.5 a couple of days ago, but that was after not sleeping for two days and hardly eating anything during the 2nd day, along with an hour of physio.

I've been a huge sugar addict for over 40 years (I'll be 50 in October) and I'm not looking forward to the sugar withdrawal.

I also suffer with osteoarthritis in my joints, depression, anxiety, social phobia, paranoia, general chronic joint and muscle pain, scarring on my Achilles tendon that shows in x-rays (weird, apparently) and a recurring chronic ankle/foot sprain.

This is not how I envisioned the year leading up to my 50th.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hey Bytor, don't be too freaked out by it all. My levels were very similar as was my medication...got Type 2 from steroids post transplant. My readings gradually dropped and dropped not through the meds or not eating sugar..and I am way to lazy to physically exercise (but I am at least not overweight)...but by eating a low carb diet (ie. nothing with more than 10g carbohydrate per 100g - okay, I'm lying - I have an ice lolly every day..okay maybe 2), by recording what I ate, when I ate it, and readings on my meter before and 2.5 hours after eating...by drinking plenty of fluid. The more it improved, it was clear the Gliclazide was doing very little - so I stopped (months ago now) - levels are now generally non-diabetic. it's do-able...so I'm sure you'll beat the bejeezus out of this snow dog if you use the right approach. Explore the site and look particularly at the low carb forum. Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you have excess weight as many T2s do then you will have insulin resistance and I'm slightly surprised that you have been started on Gliclazide rather than Metformin? If you are slim then Gliclazide makes sense but bear in mind that there is then a possibility that you are not T2 but Late onset T1 (LADA) which could explain the high blood sugar levels. See how your levels are with a low-carb diet and note the points I've made above about weight influencing your diagnosis and treatment. I speak as an amateur and the GP may have good reasons for his course of action but sometimes GPs have limited in-depth knowledge of diabetes (they may otherwise be good GPs). If your 20Kg weight loss was part of a planned diet then that points to you being T2. If the weight loss was unexpected then that points to T1 (ref latest NICE Diabetes Guidelines).