Diagnosed with prediabetes level 45 today

steve6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi 60 year old guy here
45 diagnosed from blood test done on blood sugar level for prevous two months
Get regular blood tests for diabetes, chlosterol etc.
In last year or so, recieving B12 injections.
Also taking meds for blood pressure, chlosterol, thyroid (eltroxon)

Breakfast can be 2 slices of white bread with scallions, or toasted. 1 to 2 slices. Yogurt, and maybe slice of cake or brack
Tablets taken before that usually with a mineral or flavoured milk eg banana.
Also diluted drinks. Proobably drink 2 glasses in a day. Hard to say because I tend to drink in bits ie a mouthful or two at a time.
Guilty of stuffing myself between meals with handfuls of crisps, bits of chocolate. etc.
Determined to reduce cakes to once a week, give up on the crisps, etc.
Any advise welcome

Dinner
Don't eat red meat, mostly chicken, maybe full, or pieces such as leg usually done in slow cooker)
fish once or twice a week.
Have been buying frozen vegetables lately
potatoes could be boiled, maybe 2 or 3 medium sized, or same with roasted, or chips small amount.
Sometimes.wedges
If eating out , once or twice a week, chicken might be gougon
Any advise is welcome .

Tea (Cereal) Yes, weird. Why not at breakfast? Fond of scallions. Thought it better to eat bread in morning, and cereal in evening.
Any advise is welcome.

Supper (fruit and yogurt) Would you advise against using any fruit. Levels of fruit eaten with yogurt would be small portions of different fruit, as in a fruit salad.
Any advise is welcome.

Excercise. Try to stretch and exercise every morning. If inside, stretching, running on the spot, star jumps.
if outside, walking at a moderately fast pace 20 minutes to 30 minutes. At least one walk per day. Two if no indoor exercise.
Try to Play tennis once a week. Stopped at moment, because of injury.
Height 5ft 10. Weight 15 stone.
Thanks to anybody who read this.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast can be 2 slices of white bread with scallions, or toasted. 1 to 2 slices. Yogurt, and maybe slice of cake or brack
Also diluted drinks. Proobably drink 2 glasses in a day. Hard to say because I tend to drink in bits ie a mouthful or two at a time.
Guilty of stuffing myself between meals with handfuls of crisps, bits of chocolate. etc.
Determined to reduce cakes to once a week, give up on the crisps, etc.
Any advise welcome

Stop eating all that ****?
Have bacon and eggs for breakfast or a coffee with cream. The fats provide satiety so you should be able to stop the snacking which won't be doing you any favours.
Make meat and non starchy veg the largest part of other meals and you should be fine.
No bread, cereals, potatoes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, the good news is that there are plenty of carbs that you can cut out of your diet. Also, it's likely that any excess weight is a symptom of your diabetes rather than being a cause, so if you reduce the carbohydrates in your diet you will find your weight also goes down.

Lots of potential carbs in that lot. If you really don't like plain water try fizzy water with a slice of lemon?
Fruit's generally bad but you could go for berries in unsweetened Greek yogurt. Beware of the low fat fruit yogurt sold in supermarkets - they generally pump them full of sugar to make them taste good.

Reactions: DanW13

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought it better to eat bread in morning, and cereal in evening.
Any advise is welcome.
Oh honey, either one's bad... Just like most of your diet. The statins for your cholesterol might be pushing your numbers up as well, but looking at your usual meals... I think you eat more carbs in a day, than I do in a month. And it's the carbs that are the problem for prediabetics and T2's...
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- here's a quick start guide. May it bring you some answers.
Good luck!
Jo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@steve6 - I won't comment on your diet, as I think others have covered it well, in terms of reducing the amount of food (and drinks) you are consuming containing carbohydrates. I will, however comment on your timing of your Eltroxin.

Eltroxin is a drug to treat your thyroid, which has obviously been struggling. My specific comment relates to when and how you take it.

You should take your Levothyroxine (Eltroxin) at least half an hour before food or drink, and in particular before anything containing dairy. The dairy impacts how well the levothyroxine works, with dairy negatively impacting it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work; it means it will never work as well if you take it with dairy.

I take Levothyroxine too, but fortunately, I naturally stir from my sleep around 04:00, and just swallow my Levothyroxine (and Liothyronine - and other thyroid hormone) at that time, and just go back to sleep. Some also take it on going to bed at night.

I appreciate that's impractical for many, but it happens to work for me.

This is from the NHS website - link below the image.:

upload_2019-10-16_8-51-27.png

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/underactive-thyroid-hypothyroidism/treatment/

steve6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop eating all that ****?
Have bacon and eggs for breakfast or a coffee with cream. The fats provide satiety so you should be able to stop the snacking which won't be doing you any favours.
Make meat and non starchy veg the largest part of other meals and you should be fine.
No bread, cereals, potatoes.
Thank you for replying. Can you suggest anything that isn't red meat, and I don't drink coffee or tea.

steve6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the good news is that there are plenty of carbs that you can cut out of your diet. Also, it's likely that any excess weight is a symptom of your diabetes rather than being a cause, so if you reduce the carbohydrates in your diet you will find your weight also goes down.

Lots of potential carbs in that lot. If you really don't like plain water try fizzy water with a slice of lemon?
Fruit's generally bad but you could go for berries in unsweetened Greek yogurt. Beware of the low fat fruit yogurt sold in supermarkets - they generally pump them full of sugar to make them taste good.
Thank you. What about sugar free diluted drinks? I will make appointment with doctor to inquire about fruit?

steve6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Thanks to everyone who replied. I tried to respond to everyone individually, but after initial sucess, I had difficulty with it.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

steve6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks. Hope all well. So In December of that year (2019) I went to the philippines for a few weeks to see my love.
Some of the stuff I ate was Rice, chicken, fish, banana porridge, icecream sometimes, chips sometimes. When I came back to ireland, i had lost about a stone and a half, and my prediabetes.
Except last April I was diagnosed with prediabetes again. Level 44 this time. Next checkup in Oct. I've probably lost a stone if not more since cutting down on stuff.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi Folks. Hope all well. So In December of that year (2019) I went to the philippines for a few weeks to see my love.
Some of the stuff I ate was Rice, chicken, fish, banana porridge, icecream sometimes, chips sometimes. When I came back to ireland, i had lost about a stone and a half, and my prediabetes.
Except last April I was diagnosed with prediabetes again. Level 44 this time. Next checkup in Oct. I've probably lost a stone if not more since cutting down on stuff.
Hi Steve and welcome to the thread

DanW13

Thank you for replying. Can you suggest anything that isn't red meat, and I don't drink coffee or tea.

For breakfast I’ve replaced breakfast cereals with low carb coconut porridge from Seriously Low Carb, to which I add some nuts, berries & Greek yoghurt. A couple of days a week I have an omelette or mackerel/kippers with eggs, tomato & mushrooms. No red meat involved.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Eggs scrambled with butter is acceptable for any time of the day. Add some crispy bacon and a few cherry tomatoes for a more substantial meal. Instead of tomatoes you could add the shallots you like.
You don't need toast!
Good luck in finding low carb meals you enjoy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs scrambled with butter is acceptable for any time of the day. Add some crispy bacon and a few cherry tomatoes for a more substantial meal. Instead of tomatoes you could add the shallots you like.
You don't need toast!
Good luck in finding low carb meals you enjoy.
Be wary of cherry tomatoes, they are being bred sweeter and sweeter - so much so that they are probably labelled with the wrong carb count on the package, if they are labelled at all. Their sugar content is getting on for twice that of the normal salad tomato.

Anthony. w

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
pc , wokes. Disrespect. Angry people !
Change of diet advice would be welcome . I have been diagnosed pre diabetes today . HbA1c is 42. What foods i should avoid and what qualifies as low carbs ? Thank You.
Tony