Diet culture is it such a thing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to do a PSMF from May 1st until May 14th. Would you like to join in? I can post the details if you’re interested. I have no idea if it will work, I’ve done months of investigation. I can post my plans, so you can consult with your doc
what is PSMF?
Actually, I was a bit offended because I was working out with a guy with no legs, at the gym all last month.

BTW, have you ever read about the guy who did a doctor assisted fast, for one year?
you clearly missed the point of the illustration. It was about asking someone to the the clearly impossible, and them telling them they are not trying hard enough to make it happen.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to do a PSMF from May 1st until May 14th. Would you like to join in? I can post the details if you’re interested. I have no idea if it will work, I’ve done months of investigation. I can post my plans, so you can consult with your doc

I googled.

Are you serious? risking malnutrition and further lowering my metabolism? low carb, low cal, low fat? and what happens afterwards? On a diet which may or may not work???

Nope, Nope No way.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
what is PSMF?

Stands for Protein Sparing Modified Fast. A short, but difficult fast to force the body into burning fat while preserving skeletal muscle. It’s short enough as to not wreck the metabolism. Some approaches include a refeed day, to support metabolism and compliance.

honestly, I’ll probably fail the first time around. But I’ll be in quarantine, so it’s an opportunity for me to try. I’ll be sure to post my results

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
do you think we are not trying - every moment of every day?

I have ME?CFS. I cant even get up or down stairs some days.
I don’t know what this is. Also, I don’t know what you have tried. Have considered hiring a physical therapist?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread has got weird. There seems to be a divide of people. Those who think that weight loss is as easy as trimming down the carbs, going to the gym, and watching the weight fall away. Then there's those of us who have done all of that but lost a mere few pounds if they are lucky.
To be continually told to not give up, to try harder, to tweak our diet this way, or to do some exercise that way is cocky and presumptuous. It insinuates that others are doing something better, and that those of us who struggle are just not putting the same level of effort in. It's an unfair assessment to make. And as @lucylocket61 said, it's the same attitude that we get from the care providers who think that we also can't possibly be actually trying very hard.
For me personally, that continual pressure to succeed with weight loss despite not being able to, led to a place that I never want to return to. I controlled my weight by stopping insulin and eating the wrong things... and guess what, it was the quickest weight loss that I ever encountered. But the flip side to it was the crippling anxiety that I was at death's door, that I was going to die and leave my husband, my dog, and my family to pick up the pieces. That kind of thinking is what happens when you are continually treated like a failure by health professionals who don't believe that you spend your weekends walking up huge hills, or that you go to the gym and lift weights. The same health professionals also were the first to criticise when my weight dropped but my blood sugars skyrocketed. It was like being trapped between a rock and hard place.
It's taken 5 months (and counting) of psychotherapy to unpick the thoughts and put them back together in a way where I can live life and be content that I will always be fat, but my blood sugar isn't going to kill me.
So please, just take a second before you post about how great your regime is and how it would work for others... Others may already be trying five times harder than you.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This post has certainly raised some interesting viewpoints. To go back to the original post it goes to show that nobody likes to be told they must clearly be doing something wrong, to be lectured at and told 'if only you would make more effort', I can fully understand why this group of 'Diet culture' people are fed up with being told to do this, do that, eat this, eat that by OTHERS as if somehow their choices are worthless or that they must really be sad inside and trying to hide it. Of course I do not advocate abuse of any sort on any social media posts (which was the crux of the thread) but maybe we should all have another read of some of the posts on this site, where we are all outraged when people with diabetes get vilified collectively and told they are lazy or over indulgent or just aren't trying hard enough. I am sure we all welcome support when we may be struggling with some issue but there is a world of difference between that and this level of incredulous disbelief that what works for one person may not work for another and then finally to effectively be told that a 'Physical therapist' might be the answer is a slap in the face and an acknowledgment that it's all gone in one ear and out the other. I'm not convinced that that remark was not taking the you know what.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think there’s world’s of difference between celebrating something you see as a personal success in terms of health goals, offering people the ability to eat in their chosen manner* and the dismissal, disbelief and shaming of people for their size and assuming they are simply lying or lazy when they are doing all they can to be healthy.

Apart from being just plain nasty the obvious problem with the latter is that we don’t know why people are overweight or what they are doing about it and will end up vilifying those that deserve it least of all. We also need to not become so fat activist/deniers that we ignore the reality that excess weight can cause problems healthwise in many instances and are too scared to address the resulting problems for fear of being called fattist. As everything some basic respect for people and a balance is required.

*Demi lovarto sugar free ice cream story currently doing the rounds - shaming low sugar dieters/accusations of hating obese people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is a pretty bad analogy. I’m also of the opinion that anyone can lose weight, at least from a physiological point of view.

My thought experiment. If a person with such a condition were locked in an eco-bubble. given a daily ration of, essential fats, essential amino acids, and essential micro nutrients. What would happen?
In my case I would die so I won’t join you in your bubble if you don’t mind!