Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From behind The Times pay wall.

Diet for a year to keep the weight off for good

Oliver Moody, Science Correspondent

April 14 2016, 1:01am, The Times

Most dieters are familiar with the body’s stubborn determination to regain lost weight
Anybody who has tried to follow a rigorous diet will know how easy it is to lapse back into bad habits. Success, however, may simply be a matter of sticking it out for a year.

A breakthrough experiment has shown that it takes 12 months of dieting before the body’s chemicals change and a new weight can be maintained permanently. Scientists have in the past found that dieting triggers a backlash from the body.

Hunger-causing hormones surge and cells begin to stash more calories into fat, leading many to return to their old weight once the diet is finished.

Now it appears that these powerful defence mechanisms can be overcome. Researchers in Denmark have found that obese people who had shed an eighth of their weight on an intensive diet and then kept it off for a year saw dramatic changes in the chemicals governing their appetites.

Signe Sorensen Torekov, associate professor of biomedical sciences at the University of Copenhagen, said the study demonstrated that it was possible to defeat the body’s natural resistance to losing weight.

“It’s very difficult to fight the hunger,” she said. “It’s like a drug you’re fighting against. This would have been an excellent mechanism 50 years ago, but the problem now is that we have so much food available that we can eat all the time.

“We were able to show that you shouldn’t give up. If you’re able to keep your weight down for a year, then it shifts and it becomes easier.”

The effect relies on three molecules that influence how much people eat. After a meal, increases in two hormones called GLP-1 and PYY rein in appetite. Ghrelin, a hunger hormone, dwindles as the food is digested and its sugar enters the bloodstream. For many overweight and obese people, these compounds conspire to keep them hungry for longer, making it harder for them to cut their food intake.

The Danish scientists put 20 obese adults on an exacting diet of powdered shakes and soups for eight weeks so that each lost an average of 12.5kg (28lb). Over the following 12 months they stayed on a tough eating plan to help them stick to their new weight.

When the year was up, the researchers found that their participants’ bodies were much better at dampening their appetites after a meal, ramping up the hunger-curbing hormones.

After a 600-calorie energy drink they produced 65 per cent more GLP-1 than they did before the weight loss programme, indicating that they were more sated. Dr Torekov said the obese patients had in effect changed their “set points” — the weight their bodies strive to maintain.

Fiona Gribble, professor of endocrine physiology at the University of Cambridge, said the findings showed that keeping weight off could become easier if people persevered, although the changes might also be down to moving away from a fatty diet. “I think it’s very good news,” she said.

However, Giles Yeo, a hunger hormone expert also at Cambridge, said that without comparable results for a group of obese people who had tried and failed to keep the weight off, it was impossible to be sure that the method worked. “The real answer is that your body will fight for ever in order to stay the same weight,” he said. “The gut hormone levels are interesting, but you need to be looking at how the brain responds as well.

“At the moment, everything tells us that the brain will continue fighting and trying to get you to put the weight back on until the day you die. A recovering alcoholic is an alcoholic for life: in a similar way, an obese person who is no longer obese will always be an obese person on the inside, so to speak.”

Dr Yeo said that it might be more effective to give obese people doses of a fat cell-derived hormone called leptin, which appears to trick the brain into thinking you have eaten more than you actually have. Early trial data suggests that this helps the overweight to consume fewer calories.

The study is published this week in the European Journal of Endocrinology.

•When fat people say that they cannot help overeating, they may be right. A part of the brain involved in weighing up choices was thinner in obese people, suggesting that they have more difficulty overcoming subconscious urges, scientists said (Chris Smyth writes).

Blaming a lack of willpower is “simplistic” but bans on muffins at coffee shops, snack advertisements and other temptations could be the best way to fight obesity, the researchers said.

Paul Fletcher, professor of health neuroscience at the University of Cambridge, who carried out the study whose results were published in International Journal of Obesity, said: “You can educate people and get them to value healthy foods but something seems to happen when food is actually there. It’s almost a pavlovian impact that overcomes their best intention.”

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure there are arrange of people who have different metabolisms, ability to apply discipline and so on. Fiona Gribble talks about 'moving away from fatty foods'. Some of us would say that shows a lack of understanding of diet. Many posts on this forum talk about the success of not just low-carbing but increasing proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. It's well known that carbs rapidly lead to a feeling of hunger whereas proteins and fats don't so quickly. If you have a 'low fat' diet you are going to be in trouble maintaining it. As Fiona doesn't get that I might question the validity of that aspect of this report. However, it can very difficult for some people.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess this puts into words what most people have found out, that crash diets don't work, and what is needed is a "lifestyle" change in order to lose weight and keep it off for a long time.

Easier said than done of course, as I am sure most people realise this but the lure of an instant cure/remedy is hard to resist.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This really seemed to be an excellent recommendation that everyone should start out with the Newcastle Diet, it shows that diet keeps the weight off, and gives a good chance of reversing diabetes as well.
After that, any dietary change should perform better, and not put the weight back on.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I did a very low cal diet and lost 17 pounds. I then did LCHF and kept the weight off for 3 months. Then I had a heart procedure in hospital and put on 15 pounds in 24 hours whilst nil by mouth. This was obviously just fluids they had pumped into me whilst my heart wasn't working effectively. Despite some heavy duty diuretics I didn't lose 8 of those extra pounds and they stayed with me until around a year later when I reduced my carb intake still further with LCHF. Since then I have lost more weight (3 stone 3 lbs in total) and this has mostly stayed off, just fluctuating a few pounds either way. Still a lot left to lose though. :(

Reactions: 6 people

Izz33

I was advised that it takes 9 months for fat cells to be eliminated from the body after the weight has been lost, so this makes sense, although I'm personally no authority on the subject, but found it an interesting concept and well worth trying to avoid the ups and downs of dieting and maintaining a healthy long term lifestyle!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its a lifestyle thats needed not a diet. Just the word diet is limitting..
Thesaurus.com.....
"Main Entry: diet
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: abstinence from food
Synonyms: dietary, fast, nutritional therapy, regime, regimen, restriction, starvation, weight-reduction plan
Antonyms: indulgence"

Nothing there that suggests a long term change of lifestyle..

I've always believed long term change of lifestyle is need and hated the word "diet" as to me its always evoled thoughts of a short term solution and doesn't rid persons of the bad habits that got them needing a "diet".

I need soups and blended foods now to live. Even soft vege no pasta lasagne has not travelled through me from last weekend. Right from outset I haven't seen this as a "diet" aa I know that this blended food will be permanent pre to maybe feeding thru a tube or a colostomy bag.... I really haven't ever been able to see how people can do short term diets.....if its not a short term diet shouldn't it be classified as a lifestyle change that is needed.?

People will still have in their brains that I can change my food after a year and they either will give up earlier, change the length of time.

Sorry, I think its time people thought of lifestyle changes..

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF for me has definitely been a lifestyle change rather that a (short term) diet, and a regime that I've fairly easily kept to in spite of a dedicated carbs eating husband, so temptation's always been there if I were ever to choose to look for it. I lost a lot of weight early on and though I've not lost very much more (yet), what I have lost I've kept off for two years now.

However in spite of knowing that for me LCHF is a lifestyle, I'm still occasionally remiss in calling it a "diet" instead, but I do generally qualify it as NOT being a "quick fix it diet"... MY single attempt at that type of diet did actually result in a decent weight loss, but this went back on with interest not long after I'd stopped the diet.

Robbity

PS I spent the first 30+ years of my life being skinny and underweight, then being quite thin for a while, so I've always considered myself to be this way (at least in my head!) even after I'd gained a fair bit of weight, and it still come as a bit of a surprise when I see this fat elderly lady lurking about in my mirror. :D:wideyed::wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people

RJW_Lon_29

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I guess this puts into words what most people have found out, that crash diets don't work, and what is needed is a "lifestyle" change in order to lose weight and keep it off for a long time.

Easier said than done of course, as I am sure most people realise this but the lure of an instant cure/remedy is hard to resist.
I am totally the opposite. I was diagnosed with Borderline Diabetes and advised to go on a sugar free diet, which I have done for over 7 months now. Anyway, I am quite thin for a pre diabetes sufferer, and have lost quite a bit of weight, even though I eat quite normally, though I do a physical job of cleaning in a residential care home for the elderly, so I suppose that could be part of the reason why I don't gain much weight. The other one could be due to me having an under active thyroid and take thyroxine.