diet help

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi im at my wits end I have been doing weight watchers since august last year then this year I was put on metformin and was told you will lose weight but in the past few months I have put on weight or stayed the same I just don't know where im going wrong I don eat that much chocolate I don't eat cake or biscuits I have quavers with my lunch when im at work I don't eat take aways much and have a low fat diet when I cook at home and eat lots of veg etc. my weight watchers leader has suggested visiting my gp for advice which I have an appointment this afternoon my bmi is 30 and rising I just don't know what to do. one of my work collegues asked yesterday if I was expecting again as I look 5 months pregnant which hurt and my 5 yr old son keeps asking why I have a fat tummy im close to tears can someone please help me

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Unfortunately low fat tends to equate to high sugar. When you say you eat low fat what are you eating? Bread etc can make you feel and look bloated. If I were you I'd save your money and look at 'dietdoctor' or Google low carb high fat, you may well find you lose weight that way as well as reducing your BS.
Are you using a meter to see which food affects your sugars?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes im using a meter to check my levels and they are ok I eat granary bread or wholemeal from a 400g loaf 2 slices cereal is either wholegrain porridge and fruit Weetabix shredded wheat I eat strawberries grapes bananas carrots cucumber lettuce tomatoes all types of veg and a small amount of potatoes either boiled mashed or dry fried in actifry along with chips I don't have sugar but have granulated sweetener

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much is "not much" when it comes to the chocolate and takeaways you mention in your original post? It's all those sort of things that can conspire against us and add up.

Do you keep an accurate food diary, or plan meals ahead, or are your meals what you fancy or have to hand at the time?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You must still be having too much qty of carbs and calories....compared to you burning them off!! Why is it necessary to have quavers for lunch?

Try and input your fods to my fitness pal and your exercise.. You'll see why you aren't losing weight.

My fitness pal is not justan app, you can get it on a lap top too.

I'm personally not a believer in weight watchers. I saw 100 approx women troop in to a WW meeting in town a few weeks ago, which made me really dubious... A lot of people spending a lot of money..

Try getting the diabetes fevolution book by dr charles clark and maureen clark... Good recipes and a good insight in to what you need to lose and maintain weight....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think you need to re-think your diet. You seem to be having far too many carbs and calories. I would cut out the Quavers, all breakfast cereals, some of your fruit, chocolate, and cut down on the bread. All these things contain a lot of carbs and carbs are another form of sugar. Try going low carb and increase your dietary fats - fry in olive oil or rapeseed oil, get rid of low fat products as they all contain added sugar. It looks to me like you are exceeding your weight loss calorie levels by quite a bit. If you calculate how many calories you are consuming you may well have a shock.

My Fitness Pal is very good at showing you how many calories you personally need, and how many you are eating.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're eating an awful lot of carbs - cereal for breakfast, bread, crisps, and fruit- just because it's a natural product doesn't make it suitable if you are diabetic.How much weight were you losing on the WW plan before diagnosis? You need to both cut the carbs and keep a weather eye on your calorie intake I think to lose weight. I remember my Mum who lost 7st saying that one week she decided to eat some toffees as part of her calorie intake and even though she had only had the same number of calories as she had been having, that week she put on 3lb, so a calorie isn't always just a calorie. Have a look at the what have you eaten thread in the low carb forum for some ideas of what you can eat without too many carbs and start weighing food again to check that you aren't eating too big a portion- it's easy for 1oz of cheese to actually be nearer 2!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also remember fat is not bad, as in eating.

For decades we were told it was bad, but it is now recognised that eating fat is NOT bad.

Basically natural fats from meat, egg, fish and dairy products is NOT bad.

What is bad for humans is fat that is inlaid in to carb heavy food... And products like weight watchers make....

If you cut your carbs then eat healthy fat.. You are not going high fat... As all you are doing is getting rid of the **** transfats in quavers etc....

A succesful diet to control weight and diabetes inv es reducing your intake of bad carbs..

You are not doing enough to do this.. Quavers, potaoes, pasta, etc are bad carbs.

By avoiding ALL of these bad carbs you simultaneously reduce your fat intake dramatically, becauss most trans fats are in refined carbs.. That you are still overloading yourself with....

Cut the carbs to minimum...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App