Disappointed in myself, how do I fix this?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe if I am more prepared, I can make it work
Being prepared is very important especially when temptation arrives in full force but don't let perfect become the enemy of doing something..you know it works... take each day one at a time. You can do this.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you actually go it (eating LCHF to your meter) then your HbA1c and weight will both be lower, however your LDL will certainly be higher. since you will be freeing up LDL stored in visceral fat, until you get to , eight maintenance mode.

What is eight maintenance mode?

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
@SaskiaKC,
Are you absolutely sure about that? I am not completely up to date on the research but I know these things:
1. Over 30% of people can lower LDL in only 3 days ( Dave Feldman Protocol) - so how can it be long term predictor of an illness?
2. Was not Total LDL ditched as an indicator over 10yrs ago? Apart from stone-age doctors like at my local GP surgery. How can the repair mechanism for inflammation in the blood vessels be the cause of CVD - it doesn't make sense to me. Its a bit like saying that because police are often seen at the scene of a crime, reducing police numbers will reduce crime. - But perhaps you are more knowledgeable than me.
3. Don't the current medical schools teach that the ratio of HDL to Triglycerides is the most important lipid-related indicator of CVD risk? The best one is an increasing Calcium Score, of course.
4. How can all the un-damaged 'fluffy' LDL get stuck in those small lesions in the blood vessels? - Surely it is only the damaged (oxodised) small particle LDL that can get in there.

Of course Statin manufacturers don't want you to know any of that since statins don't have any effect on the damaged LDL (only the good stuff). And neither do they want T2 diabetics to know that Statins increase your BG levels (make your diabetes worse).
Since you are a woman, you probably know that it has been estimated that statins are a waste of resource for women - estimated that although some male lives have been saved by statins ( less than 18% of those who died on statins), absolutely 0 women have been saved.

If you are over 65 ( as I am) then you must have seen that the studies all show that the older people in the highest quadrant of LDL readings (who might be expected to die of heart disease) actually have a statistically significant lower all-cause mortality rate (= live longer) than those in the lowest quartile i.e the section that your GP would like to get you into!

So… There is so much we know… and so, so, much more we do not!

Some know about things that others know zilch, zero, nothing about at all.

However, others do know all about,

Some think they know it all.

Others think they know nothing about any of it.

This post I have copied in to a Word Doc.

GREAT POST ianf0ster

I feel at times we focus on so many facts, stats, cracks and flax, what to eat what not to eat when to eat. BGL, Dumps at dawn, ‘Coming off meds’ LDL readings A1c, Yarda yarda yarda

We lose sight of the human touch and positive aspects of what are doing. Not only to ourselves moreover to other people here who are suffering in many a varied way and through causes beyond their control.

We can help by telling others of our experience. Even when the post may look, at first glance, negative. It can have huge repercussions and very positive outcome.

Thank you for your post Mrsmac247
It certainty resonates with me

Po

Monty19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to come back posting after so long with negativity, I have no where else to go and feel helpless. I was diagnosed in 2016 as T2 and recommended medication. Thankfully I found this forum and managed within a few months to get my HBA1C levels into just below pre diabetic range without medication. I felt like i had done the impossible! Then in a false sense of security I slowly started eating foods which I knew were not for me but thought 'it's ok, I can change this'.

For about a year I was doing ok, gained a little weight but felt ok, I stopped testing - big mistake. Fast forward and between mid 2017 and early 2018, I had 2 significant losses; a mother figure and my mother in law and 2 other losses; an uncle and an aunt...they all had diabetes and passed of related illnesses. I developed a rather useful skill (so I'm told) at arranging funerals but the mental impact was out of this world. I hated diabetes yet my consumption of food became erratic, convenient and self loathing.

Enter the 6 monthly diabetic check! As I thought, I was back on the T2 radar, the bottoms of my feet hurt and I am trying desperately to get back on the wagon and have sort of gone into a panic about diets and foods (if you are using diet please see my other thread in weight loss and diets!)

Has anyone ever fallen so badly? How do you move forward as I feel stuck! Does that mean that my feet are now permanently ruined? The first time around the pains went, this time they haven't.

Monty19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mrs MAC
Sounds like life has thrown some curve balls and been pretty tough. Don’t despair It sounds like you are ready to resume the battle: find new recipes for low carb that include a few treats for down days perhaps? I’ve had a few wobbles (a summer of chronic back pain and a bereavement) that led to slippage and raised HBA1C but back on track now : weight going down slowly.
Found a fab chocolate and prune cake recipe by Annie Bell that freezes well so I cut into small slices to get out when in need of something sweet ( no sugar in it!) be kind to yourself and get plenty of walks in the fresh air. With hugs x

Hotpepper20000

Hi Mrs MAC
Sounds like life has thrown some curve balls and been pretty tough. Don’t despair It sounds like you are ready to resume the battle: find new recipes for low carb that include a few treats for down days perhaps? I’ve had a few wobbles (a summer of chronic back pain and a bereavement) that led to slippage and raised HBA1C but back on track now : weight going down slowly.
Found a fab chocolate and prune cake recipe by Annie Bell that freezes well so I cut into small slices to get out when in need of something sweet ( no sugar in it!) be kind to yourself and get plenty of walks in the fresh air. With hugs x
lovely post and very kind but....
Maybe no sugar in the cake, but prunes are sugar and for most type 2s that spikes BG as bad or more then simple sugar

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For older people, having a higher LDL is probably a good thing - I found an article on the BMJ Open site where they'd looked at age at death and LDL levels - there was no negative correlation - and a tendency for higher LDL to be found in those dying at a greater age.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrsmac247 - getting back on the wagon can definitely be harder than the first time around, but the great news is you have form for this. You have done I before.

Having a really tough period in our lives can lead to erratic, uncharacteristic behaviour, sometimes is the person feels their life is no longer in their control (say, looking after others, dealing wit his their affairs, often ahead of our own, as examples, they take control of one of the fundamental things - their eating. Some folks develop eating disorders at times like this, and others just change a lot of what they eat and how they deal with food.

My suggestion to you would echo others, to take one day at a time, just concentrating on the next meal.

You know the old adage: how do you eat an elephant?

Answer: one bite at a time.

It's tough. Don't punish yourself, particularly for caring for others ahead of your own wellbeing, but us being well ourselves gives us the energy to invest in others. You can't care for others if you're not caring for yourself.

Good luck with it all, and maybe join in some of the threads on here. For ideas, the What have you eaten today? Thread in the LC sub-forum has some great, inventive ideas for mixing up the food options.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @DCUKMod and everyone else that has replied to the thread, one day at a time I guess and I have some ideas going forward i.e. forward planning, cutting down or out on treats and maybe trying some new recipes to refresh the palette!

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mrsmac247 I’m not sure it will help but assure you your not on your own, I’ve fallen off the wagon some many times I’ve lost count. I must say thanks for your post as after hearing of all you’ve been through it’s given me a kick up the backside and I’m embarrassed to be where I am now, so thanks I’m now back on the wagon.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Saskia,
As I have said to the OP earlier in this thread, LCHF for a T2D is/should be a lifestyle , not a diet.
This means that there are 2 phases of it for the vast majority - just not for 'extra TOFIs like JimLahey:

1. The vast majority of T2D's have extra fat on/in their bodies, the worst of which is visceral fat i.e. around their organs such as liver , pancreas etc. This fat is thought to be associated with 'Insulin Resistance' and (around the pancreas) to lower Insulin production.
The evidence is very strong, because when visceral fat is lost Blood Glucose also returns to more normal levels.
Thus the initial aim on LCHF is to reduce BG by getting the body to use up all that extra energy stored in the visceral fat and as a consequence they lose weight. This is the 'weightloss phase'.

2. However once BG is back to 'normal'/'non-diabetic' levels, the T2D still remains much more sensitive to Carbs. But they no longer need or want to lose more weight. So the LCHF is modified slightly in order to add in more Calories and stabilise weight.
This is the 'weight maintenance phase' and it hopefully lasts for the rest of their long and healthy lives!
Note that there are 3 possible ways of adding Calories to LCHF:
A). Add more Fat - but some people find they can't tolerate any more fat.
B) Add more Protein - again, some have Kidney problems and may not do well on additional protein.
C). Add back in a little more Carbohydrate. So long as it is tested with a BG meter to ensure that it isn't too much, this can be the best method for some, - though if the are 'Carb addicts' then one of the other 2 methods would probably be better.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs Mac,
I've come late to the post but wanted to respond.

First of all the good news is that you already have an idea of what foods cause your levels to increase.

I understand how you feel about the food. I am doing very low carb and to be honest the food does n to inspire me at all. Some days I feel I really can't do it. For me one of the things I am doing is to keep on testing to remind myself about the reality of diabetes. I wish I could have carbs but I know they are not good for me.

I think most of here can empathise with your struggles- I'm only newish so haven't yet fallen off the wagon- but I'm human and a carb addict so can't really believe I will last for years without falling off the wagon. What's important is that we get back on and ask for support when we need it and give support when we can. We are all only human but we can all support others when doing well.

You will see from the thread that you've already inspired at leat one or two. I also hope that you feel you've received support. Hopefully in the threads suggested byDCUKMod you will find some recipes that inspire you

Good luck! Let people know if there is anything more we can do to support you,

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, it always seems harder on the second, third, forth go around probably because of the knowledge that it can be done and I let it slip.

I think, whenever we slip, we've got to climb back on the wagon - pronto!
We can analyze what went wrong and how to keep staying on the wagon , but we've got to get on right away!

Going back to low carbs - get back to simple, whole foods right away! Simple whole foods (like roast meat, eggs, spinach, lettuces, oil/vinaigrette dressings) are easiest to carb-count and manage, at least while you're planning and prepping for your future menus.

Keep coming to this forum for support!

<hug>

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And that is it @SaskiaKCI feel quite uninspired by the thought of meat and veg and am also a creature of habit so repeat meals. With 3 children and a hubby, there are so many palettes to cook for and I've been ok at not touching the rice and potatoes etc, I think I just became disillusioned when thinking of restarting by all the ways which have now become popular such as keto and IF.

Being a creature of habit can work well for you!
It can be your biggest asset - making menu planning easier - make it work!

Btw, your family can benefit from eating diabetic-friendly meals.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An update...Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and non judgement. I am the type of person that can really beat myself if I feel I have let myself down. I have been taking things one day at a time but 6 days of the week am low carb (no breads, pasta, treats, rice etc) and eat mainly meat and veg or just meat! and on a sunday I am mainly low carb but add in a dessert. I struggle with having some normalicy around the family and eating with the children who comment frequently that I am not eating the same food as them hence why Sunday I relax a little. I love sweet treats which are my downfall generally but I also understand that I will never be an a class student in the area of food so am not trying to be perfect.

Lesson learnt...fall 7 times get up 8!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
An update...Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and non judgement. I am the type of person that can really beat myself if I feel I have let myself down. I have been taking things one day at a time but 6 days of the week am low carb (no breads, pasta, treats, rice etc) and eat mainly meat and veg or just meat! and on a sunday I am mainly low carb but add in a dessert. I struggle with having some normalicy around the family and eating with the children who comment frequently that I am not eating the same food as them hence why Sunday I relax a little. I love sweet treats which are my downfall generally but I also understand that I will never be an a class student in the area of food so am not trying to be perfect.

Lesson learnt...fall 7 times get up 8!
Stress puts up BG and it sounds as if you've had a lot of it. My last hba1c jump has been put down to stress as I'm still losing weight and haven't had much variation in my meter readings. You are doing the right thing by coming to the forum, don't beat yourself up because you've you think you've fallen off the wagon. There are tons of recipes here and at diet doctor and menu ideas for busy families. There's only two of us here, well three with the dog but I look for new ideas most weeks and try to organise a rough menu for the week ahead. Having something low carb ready in the refrigerator for those moments that you just need something helps. I'm going to try fat bombs once my beloved tracks down some unsweetened coconut, he reckons there isn't any in the whole of Norwich.
I LCHF 90% of the time, I have bad days but my fasting BG the next morning tells me not to try it two days running and I think keeping track of what you've eaten and what it does to your BG helps if only to show you what you shouldn't be eating.
It's sounds as if you are getting back on the wagon, well done! And if you fall 8 times, get up again! :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Sorry to come back posting after so long with negativity, I have no where else to go and feel helpless. I was diagnosed in 2016 as T2 and recommended medication. Thankfully I found this forum and managed within a few months to get my HBA1C levels into just below pre diabetic range without medication. I felt like i had done the impossible! Then in a false sense of security I slowly started eating foods which I knew were not for me but thought 'it's ok, I can change this'.

For about a year I was doing ok, gained a little weight but felt ok, I stopped testing - big mistake. Fast forward and between mid 2017 and early 2018, I had 2 significant losses; a mother figure and my mother in law and 2 other losses; an uncle and an aunt...they all had diabetes and passed of related illnesses. I developed a rather useful skill (so I'm told) at arranging funerals but the mental impact was out of this world. I hated diabetes yet my consumption of food became erratic, convenient and self loathing.

Enter the 6 monthly diabetic check! As I thought, I was back on the T2 radar, the bottoms of my feet hurt and I am trying desperately to get back on the wagon and have sort of gone into a panic about diets and foods (if you are using diet please see my other thread in weight loss and diets!)

Has anyone ever fallen so badly? How do you move forward as I feel stuck! Does that mean that my feet are now permanently ruined? The first time around the pains went, this time they haven't.
Hello Mrsmac247 We seem to both be at the same state with Type 2 right now, and I was also diagnosed in 2016, and also had several losses since then (the hardest being my mother and then my son) and I have reacted just as you have. In fact you could almost have been writing my own story for me. I don't know, but I hope it gives you some comfort to realise that someone else is going through exactly the same struggle as you. xxx

Reactions: Norfolkmell

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have actually read that for the first 6 months or more when starting a LCHF way of eating, your LDL levels can go high and is normal. After a time they go back down again. I have been on a LCHF way of eating for 3 years now. I don't know if my LDL went higher or not because I started a year before my next yearly Blood Test ( I have a heart condition so have to have the yearly blood tests, I had a heart attack at the age of 47 14 years ago) All I know is that my last two year blood tests have shown that my LDL is good. I am pre-diabetic, last test for high sugars was a month ago. No glucose in my urine, BS 5.5 which has been consistent for over a year with my BG meter. I range from 5.6 first thing in the morning..after eating 5.4 depending what I eat to 6 or under

Caprock94

How long did it take your foot pain to go away the first time?