Do I need to buy a blood sugar meter?

DaveT77

Hi all. was diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago now. Im still trying to get my head round it all at the moment.

Not really changed my diet much other than going cold turkey on sweets and buscuits which I hope will help.

I keep seeing a lot of questions like what was your level when you got up this morning?

I'm on 2000mg of Metaformin a day, which should bring my numbers down - was 8.9 at last check.

do I need to get Blood Sugar kit, I dont really fancy stabbing myself daily but if they're worth having...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin won't bring your numbers down, diet will. IMO a meter is essential to finding out what foods suit you and which don't.

Stabbing doesn't hurt if you do it properly. @Rachox has some info on test kits. The strips are your running cost.

Have a look around the low carb forum. Carbs are the enemy.

And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: DJC3 and Auto E

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DaveT77 welcome to the forum. Whilst you don’t have to buy a blood glucose meter it is a good idea as by using it you will be able to see how your blood sugar reacts to carbs which is the food group that most Type 2s cannot tolerate very well - some better than others. The most carby foods to be aware of and cut down on or avoid altogether, depending on how you react to them, are bread (although there are some low carb varieties), pasta, rice, potatoes, cakes and fruit although berries tend to be lower carb. Hopefully @Rachox and @Bluetit1802 will be along later and provide you with information re meters.

Reactions: Auto E

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tags @xfieldok and @Daphne917 !

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable, although I hear reliability may have improved now. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reemap

Yes you need to buy a meter. That’s your only friend who can tell you what food affected you and to what level. You need to avoid sweets and carby food .. try cauliflower rice ..

mouseee

I agree, definitely a meter. I got one from tesco for £10 and 100 test strips for £10 there too. There are lots available but that one was convenient for me.

To be honest, it doesnt hurt to do the finger prick test, I stabbed myself with a seeing needle the other day and that hurt far more! Plus, I'll swap discomfort for a full complement of limbs and eyesight!

This forum has been a life line in so many ways for me. Lots of experts who have lived with diabetes far longer than me. Invaluable help.

Reactions: DJC3

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I doubt I could have got into remission without my meter.
I found out exactly how many carbs I could safely eat in one meal, and over a day, in order to get into remission.

Ane we react differently to foods, so eg I checked how many slices of low carb bread I can eat (1.5 slices) and that strawberries spike my blood more than raspberries even if they are apparently the same amount of carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do get a meter. GPs tend to rely too much on Metformin. It's a good safe drug but won't reduce your blood sugar by much. Diet is the key.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I would say it will definitely help even if you only use it periodically

My partner is T2 was doing well... stopped testing after getting a good hba1c a year later her hba1c is 99 because she was unaware how high her levels were going

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Tee2, I phoned spirit Health and ordered 200 strips, they threw in the meter for free.

Reactions: Rachox

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that thinks you really need a meter- I'm glad you are getting one. Regular testing is the only way to find out what foods your body can tolerate and what it can't.

Good luck.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't use the finger pricker on the pointy end of your finger, too many nerve endings and it will hurt! Use the side of the finger, just under the fingernail.

You may also want to order some spare lancets at the same time. However, although they are "single use", lots of use use the same lancet for a looooong time, so, for example, mine don't get changed that often. :oops:

Reactions: DaveT77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others here, unless you test you won’t know how different foods affect you. You might be surprised at some of the results, it’s not just sugar bread and pasta which will raise your blood glucose levels. People often find that breakfast cereal and those ‘healthy’ seed and nut bars cause big rises too. You’ll only know if you test ( immediately before a meal and 2 hrs afterwards) good luck.
Ps I use the Tee2 and they gave it to me free when I bought strips. Just give them a ring.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I would say it will definitely help even if you only use it periodically

My partner is T2 was doing well... stopped testing after getting a good hba1c a year later her hba1c is 99 because she was unaware how high her levels were going
Yes, people say that they are cured of T2 but I think that although that may be possible for the majority all they can achieve is remission.
So the lifestyle to get you into remission is the lifestyle you need to stay that way for the rest of your life.
If you don't periodically test the you can get lifestyle or diet 'creep' - eating just a little more carbs and then just a little more. Or exercising a little less and then a little less etc. But if you test periodically you can detect if you are going off track.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Agree with the get a meter responses, you need one. You wouldn't drive a car without a steering wheel. That's how important I think they are.

I find after a while that you get good at pricking your fingers and can often get a sample minus the pain. It's a skill you get better at over time.

And welcome!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one fancies self-stabbing, really. But you get used to it, especially when it helps you get the T2 under proper control. It's SO worth it! :)
Hi all. was diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago now. Im still trying to get my head round it all at the moment.

Not really changed my diet much other than going cold turkey on sweets and buscuits which I hope will help.

I keep seeing a lot of questions like what was your level when you got up this morning?

I'm on 2000mg of Metaformin a day, which should bring my numbers down - was 8.9 at last check.

do I need to get Blood Sugar kit, I dont really fancy stabbing myself daily but if they're worth having...