Do you ever learn to relax?

Meggymoodle

My son (aged 12) was diagnosed with T1just under three months ago. He's had a hard time accepting this and has on occasions said he would rather let "nature take its course" and he doesn't want to inject anymore, which has been horrible. He is generally mature and reasonable but is obviously just finding it hard to deal with. I have put some private counselling in place for him which starts next week. His team are putting him onto a pump but I find I'm obsessed with his numbers, which I would imagine is not helping him at all, although I try not to show it. He is all over the place after half term and we are not hitting Time In Target of 70% at the moment, which just makes me feel sick all the time.

Do you ever learn to relax about this?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my children are not type 1 but have their own issues, physical and mental.

Sorry no, you never relax, when you are not directly thinking about it, it is lurking just below the surface.

Very best wishes to you all, wished I could offer something helpful.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
He is all over the place after half term and we are not hitting Time In Target of 70% at the moment, which just makes me feel sick all the time.

In my opinion (51 years T1 since age 8 and I didn't get a glucometer till I was adult) you have to play the long game here. Your son is newly diagnosed and understandably you and he are upset. Plus puberty is coming (or has come) which makes diabetic control harder. 70% is a fairly arbitrary number and I wouldn't get too attached to it in the short term. At 12 he's probably near to an age where he'll be able to do his own calculations, and yes, for a young T1, I would totally say that a pump is the best thing since sliced bread.

Things will get better, even if that is after puberty (though I'd hope/expect the pump to be a potential life changer).

Maybe consider getting some counselling for yourselves as well as your son. You'll need to let go of watching his figures by the time he is adult, though I appreciate that you are a long way away from that.

He's got plenty of time to get the hang of diabetes and his bg numbers, I'd be more concerned at the moment about the psychological aspects and his mental health, though it sounds as though you are addressing this with the counselling.

Good luck. The prognosis for new T1s is better than it has ever been. You and he can get through this.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi diagnosed Ti when I was nearly 18 , that was 41 years ago, don’t have any kids with diabetes but my mum worries about everything and still does, I went through exactly the same as your son dint want it , rebelled etc etc , but your sons attitude will change as time goes by, diabetes is exactly like life full of highs. and lows ( literally) and just like life we have to learn from both bad and good experiences , as far as numbers are concerned take it one step at a time , technology these days does assist greatly and eventually your son will know what works for him and what doesn’t, that can only come from experience both good and bad! As far as relaxing , do mums ever relax about their kids in my experience with my mum I can definitely say no ,but do appreciate that it’s because she loves me , I maybe 59 now but am still her wee boy

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you are having a stressful time. I teach at a school and am type 1, and my blood sugars are a lot more erratic coming back straight after a holiday. I put it down to the stress of the change of routine. There is a type 1 student at 11 in my tutor group who now is managing her blood sugars for the first time on her own and stepped up to the challenge, which wasn't the case at her previous school when other's were trying to manage it for her.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son (aged 12) was diagnosed with T1just under three months ago. He's had a hard time accepting this and has on occasions said he would rather let "nature take its course" and he doesn't want to inject anymore, which has been horrible. He is generally mature and reasonable but is obviously just finding it hard to deal with. I have put some private counselling in place for him which starts next week. His team are putting him onto a pump but I find I'm obsessed with his numbers, which I would imagine is not helping him at all, although I try not to show it. He is all over the place after half term and we are not hitting Time In Target of 70% at the moment, which just makes me feel sick all the time.

Do you ever learn to relax about this?

Hi there, it must be very hard for you and the whole family as well. Based on one paragraph it's hard to advise in any way and I don't have a 12 year old type 1 child. However, I will make a few observations. You say he is mature and reasonable for his age and that he is having a hard time accepting it, and you say that you are obsessed with his numbers and feeling sick because he's not hitting 70% of his 'target'. This is after just 3 months. Even as an adult it takes a darn sight longer than 3 months to even understand what's going on, never mind accepting it and as for targets.....

I fully understand how you would be anxious, upset and all the rest but I suspect that is transferring itself to your son. If he sees you agonising over this 'target', I wonder if he is thinking he is failing in some way, a bit like at school when the Teachers are looking all disappointed and saying 'must try harder'. Forgive me if this is not the case but I wonder if you could step back a little, he is 12, it sounds like he could actually do most of his management himself (with your overall guidance of course) and this might help him to realise that whether he is hitting this 'target' or not, that is NOT a reflection on him but an inevitable consequence of this condition.

Look at us lot, do we always hit our targets? Type 1 diabetes is a horrible condition which takes up all of our time, as you know it is not simply a question of counting carbs & injecting. Your lad in particular must have hormones galore knocking about, he could do the same thing every day and his glucose levels are still likely to be up and down or up and up. If he is stressed and consistently under scrutiny, that too won't help his levels. He is probably feeling pee'd off at school too, his levels are being checked, he's being treated differently by the Teachers who are probably overdoing their observations, he is probably thinking diabetes is nothing but one long, chaotic pain.

Be careful also of saying 'well done' when he does meet a target, this gives the impression that to not meet it must therefore generate a 'What are you doing' response.

You sound like a lovely, caring Mum, you really do but I would just take a step back for now, let him breathe, let him retain a semblance of normalcy. If the numbers won't play ball well as long as they are not dangerously out of sync (and you would know this as would his team) then he may be able to relax a bit more. Of course you cannot just leave him to get on with it but I guess I'm saying can you calm down yourself? The very best of luck to you.

Meggymoodle

Thank you all so much for answering, I really appreciate it. I am trying not to let him catch on to my anxiety and we agreed (with my husband) we would never say "well done" for in range numbers right at the beginning as it's not a conscious thing. The only thing I say well done for is managing it well at school. I do need to relax, I know that and will try. Thank you all!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Meggymoodle It's early days for you all and it takes time to get used to the 'new' situation. There's a few things to get your head round, so it's no surprise numbers and targets can be an obsession. I believe I am well controlled and if I get 70% then I am pleased, so for a newbie that's quite a massive achievement, with type 1 there is no such thing as good/bad control, but it's a dangerous trap to think that the higher your time in range control is the better, as it places us under immense pressure.

Teens can and do rebel and the consequences of not taking insulin vs giving them space to breathe is vital to get right, too much attention and it can cause them to kick back and the mental damage can take years to unravel so try to keep your cool and allow them space to manage it for themselves.

I am a type 1 mum with a teen and my philosophy altho she doesn't have this is to give her space but to be there when she needs a cuddle/chat, I know it's hard as a parent you will think about the consequences but they won't and they are living in the here and now so there will be times their levels will hit 20+, it is temporary and as long as they are ok and doing the correction dose then try not to panic, there's a fine line of allowing them to live 'normally' and keeping good control. Also bear in mind that new type 1's also go through a honeymoon phase once they start taking insulin, so start on lower doses, gradually increasing over time so there are many bumps to challenge you, as others have said just relax, it's a bedding in period of adjustments for you all and will take time, so definitely a marathon not a sprint so the more relaxed you are the easier the journey will be, good luck, lots of us here to help you when you need it.

Reactions: KK123 and Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum:)

I've been a type 1 for 55 years, since the age of 2. Of course, in the early days there were no blood sugar meters or pumps to be constantly checking, but I'm sure if there had been my parents would have been checking the devices, until I was old enough to manage it myself. Then, I believe they would have supported me if I'd needed it, (as they did), but from a distance. Neither I, nor them could have coped with them 'looking over my shoulder all the time'. Each family is different though, and you'll find a middle ground with your son, which is acceptable to you all, even if it's not exactly what you would like.

Children are very adaptable, and as others have said, it's very early in the diabetes journey for you all. I'm sure that in time your son will accept the diagnosis, and get on with managing it himself. There willl be bumps in the road though, and times he doesn't want anything to do with diabetes. I've had those times in the past, and probably will in the future. You can have times when your numbers are great, and then suddenly for no apparent reason, they're not where you want them to be.

Keep posting, and reading around the forum, there's a lot of valuable info to be had. Also, keep asking questions, none are silly, we're all still learning.

Reactions: KK123

Johnsandhu

Hi, my children are not type 1 but have their own issues, physical and mental.

Sorry no, you never relax, when you are not directly thinking about it, it is lurking just below the surface.

Very best wishes to you all, wished I could offer something helpful.
Hi please link on video

Gleary85

Hi
My son is 11 and two years since dx type 1. He was diagnosed during lockdown so really struggled with it

He’s now seeing a therapist through his diabetes team and she’s really helping.

Since he was diagnosed I have had chronic jaw pain from sleeping so tense and waiting for the alarms
As parents it’s just so hard to not think negatively without worrying them.

How would he feel speaking to another child with type 1 - not5 about diabetes but just to know that he’s not alone!