Does anyone mind if I post food diary and BG Levels?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm still waiting for my monitor to arrive but I was wondering if anyone minded if I post good diary with my before and after two hours result?

I think I'm just looking for guidance as I'm quite clueless at the moment!

Thank you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Absolutely not, mutual support and encouragement is what this site's all about.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that's a great idea and if you have any tips on how to actually remember to do the 'dreaded food diary', I would be really grateful!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys! Wish docs were like you lot!!

My tip for diary is to be obsessive short term while we figure it all out and to carry a note book with you at all times. Think my challenge will be testing away from my nosy kids!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys! My tip for diary is to be obsessive short term while we figure it all out and to carry a note book with you at all times.

Yes, now I like obsessive, it's something I do really well......just not with food diaries so far.:)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
food diaries are easy with the myfitnesspal app if you have a smart phone

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My phone is very smart,:) it's the most basic one I could get, just does calls and texts. :) It is much better as a phone (which after all is the reason I got it) than the ones the rest of my family have, because it never seems to run out of battery like theirs.
Is there anyone else as weird as me?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i felt the same for years didn't understand why anyone would want to look at the internet on a tiny screen.... now I'm never off it, i don't know if i would have kept up my food diary on pen and paper, the app makes it so easy

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Initially, it's good to record any exercise you do as well as this will affect BG levels.

A

AnnieC

Sounds like a good idea Not sure how a food diary works myself do you have to log everything you eat and do you still keep one when you have been diabetic for years

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sounds like a good idea Not sure how a food diary works myself do you have to log everything you eat and do you still keep one when you have been diabetic for years
I record BG levels, carbs eaten and insulin taken. I also record exercise. It's never a bad thing to keep a record but it's up to you really. There are so many apps etc now that it's very easy to do. I would certainly advise anyone to keep a diary if control is not great or if they change habits/job/lifestyle etc. A diary affords you the opportunity to look back and try to see patterns over a few days rather than worrying about the odd days bad readings.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes food diaries are awesome, we or I didn't realise just what i was eating, thats sounds nuts but its true, its only we I wrote it all down did i really understand, the apps also give your break downs of the calories, fats, carbs and vitamins etc your consuming, with this knowledge you can track any changes that are needed, i don't record it any more because it would be very repetitive but i think its essential when your fighting to gain control

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks guys! Wish docs were like you lot!!

My tip for diary is to be obsessive short term while we figure it all out and to carry a note book with you at all times. Think my challenge will be testing away from my nosy kids!

Do your kids not know about your pre-D?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I love to have 'nosy kids'! – it does, in fact, show their interest in my well-being which I appreciate – and I have by now educated them so well that they kind of know what I should not eat ... (even though – as a guest - I will try to eat what has been lovingly prepared – trying to make the best choices of what is offered and exercising some portion control). And my very young grands love to watch me testing – I guess they are fascinated by the tiny blood drop!

Having said that, I think it is a great idea to start keeping and posting a food diary. I did that (food diary) in the beginning but by now I have kind of established what foods I will tolerate and which foods I will (longingly) have to leave alone. – But it will take a lot of testing of foods before you reach this understanding. And we are all different with regard to our tolerance thresholds of certain foods.

Annelise

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my little one had been finger pricking herself since she was nothing more than a baby so when i had to start doing it it was great, we would test at the same time and take our met at the same time etc, it was like a father daughter bonding thing, it was the only good thing about diagnosis :) the downside was i couldn't whimper like a baby when i pricked my finger because she did it so bravely lol

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not telling anyone really about my prediabetes as it's personal to me. I don't want my kids to worry and they're too young to really understand being 4 and 5. And I also don't want my ex to know!!!!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy - I was the same - I didn't realise how many carbs I ate and even portion control of said carbs. All being good eating low carb but a large portion defeats the object!!

Mind you, last night I made some really good burgers and had two!! I'm sure that was naughty....

X

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Deb - when you said does anyone mind if I post my food diary and BG levels, did you mean you are going to share your carbs, BG readings etc with us? Have I missed something or misunderstood you? Just that I do the same as you and record everything, which seems to help me gain better control over my type 1 (diagnosed only one year ago).