Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you read my post ref (does over eating cause diabetes or does diabetes cause overeating its in diabetes discussions . Would love to here what you think
Clive

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, as another post said, if you are a slim T2 you possibly/probably aren't T2 at all but a mis-diagnosed T1 (see the latest NICE 2015 T1 guidelines); I'm one of those. This is very important as it muddy's the waters regarding T2 cause and effect. I realise that all diabetes is complicated amd always has a genetic element. I subscribe to the 'traditional' view that when overweight you can develop insulin resistance and this can lead to T2. There are various causes of weight gain of which too many carbs is the more likely but we all have different metabolisms and hunger triggers. I totaly disagree with the view that T2 causes weight gain; I've seen no link to valid data on this.

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the facts is that obesity has gone up by 37% while diabetes has only gone up 9% . We are eating so much sugar now that I think that is the problem there is so much hidden sugar in are food that is one of the things I've found out since being diagnosed with type2 . I'm thin I've have never over eaten bug I guess I've been eating the wrong food . The craze to lower are fat intake has worked we have cut down on the fat . But the obesity is still rising at an alarming rate . I think there is still a lot to discover before we get a definite answer . If been of work for a few months so have had time to read so many papers on the subject . The more I read the less I understand . So will keep going until I can decide witch

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Clive,
You are doing a good job here. Thanks for obliging my request for starting this thread, it looks like the content is created only for me.

Now I see different views on this thread, which is key aspect in detailing various possibilities for T2D attack.

C

catherinecherub

Is it all to do with our mother's diet during pregnancy? Did our mothers eat a balanced diet? Did they experience morning sickness? Did they diet prior to their pregnancy?

Have you heard of the Dutch Famine Birth Cohort Study?

The Dutch famine study has established the importance of maternal nutrition during early pregnancy for the offspring’s cardiovascular risk. The nutritional experience of babies who were exposed to famine in early gestation may resemble that of babies in developing countries whose mothers are undernourished in early pregnancy and receive supplementation later on, but also of babies in developed countries whose mothers suffer from severe morning sickness. Morning sickness is common in the first trimester, and severe morning sickness is associated with metabolic changes in the mother which are similar to those seen during starvation. Since the results of our study consistently show that the effects of undernutrition are independent of size at birth, the assumption that the long-term consequences of hyperemesis gravidarum will be limited because of the normal size of the babies at birth no longer holds. The consequences of hyperemesis gravidarum for the health of the offspring need to be investigated. We also need to study the consequences of dieting before pregnancy, or unbalanced diets as well as fasting during pregnancy. Although the Dutch famine was an exceptional situation, the nutritional experience of these babies may resemble that of babies developing today. We need to use this information to optimize maternal nutrition before and during pregnancy in order to prevent chronic degenerative diseases in generations to come.
http://www.hongerwinter.nl/item.php?id=32&language=EN

We may never know why we developed Type2 diabetes. We have been diagnosed and we have to find ways to manage it rather than trying to play the blame game. It is too late for that.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, for the UK, from government compiled statistics in 2012:

"90% of adults with type 2 diabetes aged 16-54 years are overweight or obese" - source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...338934/Adult_obesity_and_type_2_diabetes_.pdf

This doesn't mean that T2 always causes obesity or overweightness, but there is a strikingly high correlation. The total number of diabetics in the UK population accounts for 6% of the population. On the other hand, 62% of the UK population are considered to be overweight or obese.

For such a high correlation between overweight/obesity and T2, it is extremely unlikely that there is not a link. What is in dispute is what this link is, and there appear to be many theories.

My preferred one (based on the research that I've read) is that there is a genetic predisposition to T2 that is triggered somehow by environmental or lifestyle factors. I suspect that food and exercise are critical aspects of that and the result is that many end up as T2s.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I do agree with that . But there is still evidence that diabetes switches of the chemical that tells us we are full so making us eat more . I think a lot more research needs to be done as there is still a pre conceived idea that it was the overweight persons fault and then there is less sympathy . Just like smokers
Clive

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes I do agree with that . But there is still evidence that diabetes switches of the chemical that tells us we are full so making us eat more . I think a lot more research needs to be done as there is still a pre conceived idea that it was the overweight persons fault and then there is less sympathy . Just like smokers
Clive
Research suggests that leptin resistance is an effect of type 2 as well as insulin resistance. There is, however, very little of it...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the facts is that obesity has gone up by 37% while diabetes has only gone up 9% . We are eating so much sugar now that I think that is the problem there is so much hidden sugar in are food that is one of the things I've found out since being diagnosed with type2 . I'm thin I've have never over eaten bug I guess I've been eating the wrong food . The craze to lower are fat intake has worked we have cut down on the fat . But the obesity is still rising at an alarming rate . I think there is still a lot to discover before we get a definite answer . If been of work for a few months so have had time to read so many papers on the subject . The more I read the less I understand . So will keep going until I can decide witch

I'd be interested to see how the correlation goes between any ongoing rise in obesity versus ongoing diabetes diagnoses. We have no idea where those 28% of newly obese, but remaining non-diabetic individuals are in relation to their Personal Fat Thresholds, as per Professor Taylor's work, or indeed how far away from their own the 9% who became diabetic were.

Of course, I've phrased that very badly, but I hope you get my drift.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good reading, keep them coming. Some of my opinions [may be wrong]
1. I am really concerned about gene factor, after reading your posts, apparently I know very little about it. Obviously, humans can do nothing about it? may be gene editing? I do not suggest some hollywood movie theme here, may not happen in our lifetime. However, it is interesting and equally important to read/ understand your threads in educating ourselves on gene theory, and to make any simple adjustments to our lives for quality living. I am now worried about my daughter, hope she will understand the importance of healthy diet and active life; try her best not to put on more weight. She likes mostly pizzas, colas - cannot control her much for now. Her mom is obese, T2D + hyper tense etc. My family has a strong history of T2D.

2. Reasons for getting diabetes may be different. But, treatment and maintenance are almost same for T2D, it does not matter how they got it. Standard instructions - low carbing, weight /fat reduction, calorie cut, Metformin, measurements like FBS, post-lunch and what not - all are common to everyone.

I have lots of silly questions, but for now I would remain silent and keep reading your feeds.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'd be interested to see how the correlation goes between any ongoing rise in obesity versus ongoing diabetes diagnoses. We have no idea where those 28% of newly obese, but remaining non-diabetic individuals are in relation to their Personal Fat Thresholds, as per Professor Taylor's work, or indeed how far away from their own the 9% who became diabetic were.

Of course, I've phrased that very badly, but I hope you get my drift.

Yes, got your point. Me too want to see the same pattern. One of the key aspects here is - what is the average time in USA a person takes to do the transition from IGT to Insulin Resistance to Pre-T2D to Full, positive T2D. Some of these terms may be same or similar; but they do have their own definitions.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good reading, keep them coming. Some of my opinions [may be wrong]
1. I am really concerned about gene factor, after reading your posts, apparently I know very little about it. Obviously, humans can do nothing about it? may be gene editing? I do not suggest some hollywood movie theme here, may not happen in our lifetime. However, it is interesting and equally important to read/ understand your threads in educating ourselves on gene theory, and to make any simple adjustments to our lives for quality living. I am now worried about my daughter, hope she will understand the importance of healthy diet and active life; try her best not to put on more weight. She likes mostly pizzas, colas - cannot control her much for now. Her mom is obese, T2D + hyper tense etc. My family has a strong history of T2D.

2. Reasons for getting diabetes may be different. But, treatment and maintenance are almost same for T2D, it does not matter how they got it. Standard instructions - low carbing, weight /fat reduction, calorie cut, Metformin, measurements like FBS, post-lunch and what not - all are common to everyone.

I have lots of silly questions, but for now I would remain silent and keep reading your feeds.

Hi . Really thought your reply was very interesting . The more knowledge we have the better . And the knowledge you have can be past on to your daughter . Ps there is no such thing as a silly question only silly answers . So keep the questions coming there will be someone on here will have the information
Clive

stevef1965

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always been physically fit, forces, manual work etc and back in the day was about 14.5 stone and not carrying much fat. As I became more office based weight went up a little and I suppose muscle mass went down a little but still comfortable with my size but in the year or so before diagnosis I became very hungry and my weight went up to over 16st.
The shock of diagnosis (t2 at this point) made me drastically cut my food intake and within 3 to 4 months I was down to 12st and off medication for a few months but V hungry most of the time until diagnosed with t1.5 and put on insulin.
I firmly believe that my diabetes caused the weight gain not vice versa. I am now a comfortable 14st an although I'm still struggling with hypo's, my weight is stable.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've always been physically fit, forces, manual work etc and back in the day was about 14.5 stone and not carrying much fat. As I became more office based weight went up a little and I suppose muscle mass went down a little but still comfortable with my size but in the year or so before diagnosis I became very hungry and my weight went up to over 16st.
The shock of diagnosis (t2 at this point) made me drastically cut my food intake and within 3 to 4 months I was down to 12st and off medication for a few months but V hungry most of the time until diagnosed with t1.5 and put on insulin.
I firmly believe that my diabetes caused the weight gain not vice versa. I am now a comfortable 14st an although I'm still struggling with hypo's, my weight is stable.

Yes, a few months of comfort zone can change things. My bro has more or less same story. I am now 47 and an on alert. But with all my best efforts, weight does not go down, almost static for 6 months even on low carbing, calorie restriction and workouts. I am not giving up. But I do not have the symptoms of hungry or thirst for now. Able to control my diet, no binging. Last 6 months I would have taken at the most 2 or 3 glasses of red wine overall; my BS readings are fine thus far. But we can never assume anything....

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've just read an article that has found some new evidence that it is the diabetes that is making people put on weight not the Weight giving people diabetes . There is some research going on at the moment that diabetes switches of the chemical that tells us when we are full so we eat more .if this is the case there are a lot of people who think that it must be are fault as we must have eaten to much . I'm thin and I'm type2 and have been told it's genetic . My friend was over weight and he got it by being big
Yes I am 63 kg and have Diabetes type2 and I have always found it annoying that people assume diabetes type 2 is from bad lifestyle. I am a walker and as a Nurse I have always worked around the wards constantly. Never been a sit at the office person.The new research is upholding genes as a cause factor.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I am 63 kg and have Diabetes type2 and I have always found it annoying that people assume diabetes type 2 is from bad lifestyle. I am a walker and as a Nurse I have always worked around the wards constantly. Never been a sit at the office person.

Hi Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here, since you are a nurse with direct work experience. Can you provide more info about yourself - your age, bmi, body fat percentage, diet regime, family history of T2D, your personal experiences etc.

Wayne78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wasting my time on frivolous matters
I found that over eating the wrong type of foods, coupled with high levels of stress and a less active lifestyle is the reason for my diabetes and many other other person i know.
Our typical western diet is a major contributor and a sedentary lifestyle will switch our our body metabolism function.

G

graj0

Hi I've just read an article that has found some new evidence that it is the diabetes that is making people put on weight not the Weight giving people diabetes .
The title and your first statement aren't the same thing, I didn't put on weight by overeating in the first place and after diagnosis it was definitely a nasty drug called Rosiglitazone that helped me gain over 7 stone. After coming off Rosiglitazone I lost about 4 stone before being put on Gliclazide and I gained about 1 1/2 stone. I wasn't then able to lose weight until I started to low carb and was able to stop take Gliclazide. I'm now back where I started, but it's been a long time and I have eaten much less than my BMR for over 8 years.
Gaining and losing aren't always about eating too much or eating less, especially when you have diabetes.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it's mainly about genes. There are lots and lots of overweight and obese people around and most of them have insulin resistant but do not have diabetes.

Why people put on weight might have a vast variety of causes but I blame the vilification of fat combined with the eat well plate, the current advice to eat little and often, fizzy drinks and fast food.

In short, the food industry (and pharmaceutical ditto) is making a lot of money while the health care system is on it's knees.

Reactions: 4 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I don`t tend to overthink the reasons for my diabetes and I certainly don`t blame myself, that`s a pointless exercise in negativity if ever there was one, I just try to bring the condition back under control and have found this forum tremendously helpful in this endeavour.

Reactions: 14 people