Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

prunewdiab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
started with 11.6 Hb1 currently at 6.3 after 2 months on glimpiride and Amaryl combination ,, lost close to 13 Kgs from the highest i have weighed . i do feel that i could have avoided getting to the higher BG level by controlling my diet and a bit of exercise -- i cannot get back the time .. however i have started taking it in a positive way to motivate myself to be fit,, i ensure i walk/exercise for atleast 45 mins with controlled diet .. hopefully this would keep the level in control ..

Reactions: SWUSA_

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are sad in the winter, you may have seasonal affective disorder which is determined by a couple of tests, one of which is your vitamin D levels. Pretty common for people in northern hemispheres.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/seasonalaffectivedisorder.html
itamin D shortage also makes it difficult to manage your BG levels as your beta cells need D to release insulin and your cells also need D to accept insulin. It is critical. It is a shame more GPs do not realise this and test on diagnosis.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you are sad in the winter, you may have seasonal affective disorder which is determined by a couple of tests, one of which is your vitamin D levels. Pretty common for people in northern hemispheres.
This is why I bought a SAD light box it does help stave off SAD and its effects.

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The level of D-vitamins in my body is OK. Have had it measured. I have a light box , but cannot find the adapter (the box and the adapter did cost about 318 EUR, so I do not run to buy a new one). I'm glad we are close to Spring now! My blood sugar is not stable. Was advised to take more medication by my GP this day.

My longterm sugar was 7,6 %. Is that very high? The treatment goal is 7,0 %.

lovelifex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant and dishonest people :p
I know that some Type 2's have a hard time because they think that because they are overweight that they brought this on themselves. I read one post here where the person thought that they were being punished for the sin of gluttony. :( :(
Stop being so hard on yourselves and don't fall into the trap that the media and uneducated people would like us to be in. It is not your fault and if you want to avoid the depression that often accompanies a diagnosis then you have to think positively about this chronic condition. Whether there is something you could have done earlier or not really does not matter now. You have this condition and you are not going to let it beat you. It is a hurdle that has been put into your path that you are going to jump over. If you decide to do all that you can to manage this condition there will be no place for blame and you will not be a victim but a survivor who can show others that there is a way forward.

I decided early on that diabetes may beat me but it won't be for lack of trying to master it and that is all that anyone can do, tame this beast to the best of your ability. Your HCP's may be the best or the worst that exist but they are not with you 24/7 and whether they are negative or positive in their care, you do all the hard work and they only see your results from the tests that they order. This is your baby and you are the one who looks after it.

A couple of articles here,

How to combat the stigma of Type 2 diabetes.
http://www.health.com/health/condition- ... _1,00.html
(Makes me sad to think this title would even have to exist).

Type 2 Diabetes. From old dogmas to new realities.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011 ... ealities-/
(This article explains that you may have been diabetic for years prior to diagnosis)

I really do hope that this will help some Type 2's move forward. We took a hard knock this week with the advertising campaign from Lloyds and we will be in the news again soon over another article that will surface but our revenge is to manage our diabetes to the best of our ability and let the ignorant people think what they like because one day some of them or their loved ones may walk in our shoes and then the reality of having Type 2 diabetes will hit them hard.

I am newly diagnosed and encouragement like this is really good. I am feeling frustrated because I feel I lack support from my GP alone and there are a lot of information I have to take in which weren't discussed with me. This forum is really helpful because I could read and learn a lot from people who are on the same road as me.
Thank you, Cath.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi lovelifex, welcome to the forum I was in the same as you at the beginning, and probably a few others on here as well. I was not given any information on first visit to doc, just in shock so really did not ask what I wanted to. There are so many friendly people on here that will advise and support you. Stay on the forum you will be fine. Ask what you like someone will always answer you if they can. You are definitely not alone here. :):)

angelat2_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know that some Type 2's have a hard time because they think that because they are overweight that they brought this on themselves. I read one post here where the person thought that they were being punished for the sin of gluttony. :( :(
Stop being so hard on yourselves and don't fall into the trap that the media and uneducated people would like us to be in. It is not your fault and if you want to avoid the depression that often accompanies a diagnosis then you have to think positively about this chronic condition. Whether there is something you could have done earlier or not really does not matter now. You have this condition and you are not going to let it beat you. It is a hurdle that has been put into your path that you are going to jump over. If you decide to do all that you can to manage this condition there will be no place for blame and you will not be a victim but a survivor who can show others that there is a way forward.

I decided early on that diabetes may beat me but it won't be for lack of trying to master it and that is all that anyone can do, tame this beast to the best of your ability. Your HCP's may be the best or the worst that exist but they are not with you 24/7 and whether they are negative or positive in their care, you do all the hard work and they only see your results from the tests that they order. This is your baby and you are the one who looks after it.

(This article explains that you may have been diabetic for years prior to diagnosis)

I really do hope that this will help some Type 2's move forward. We took a hard knock this week with the advertising campaign from Lloyds and we will be in the news again soon over another article that will surface but our revenge is to manage our diabetes to the best of our ability and let the ignorant people think what they like because one day some of them or their loved ones may walk in our shoes and then the reality of having Type 2 diabetes will hit them hard.
Thanks I'm new type 2 and even my family believe it's because I'm overweight and it is difficult. Don't know too much about it all yet.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
yeah can understand the feelings here a 5 minute talk with the doctor is no were near what is required
i was told 3 months ago i was type 2 had about 4 blood tests taken for various things then told i'll
see you in 3 month WOW was also told about DESMOND !!! letter came 24 august to tell me i'm on the list

My nurse told me at the time don't hold your breath for an appointment anytime soon i'm self employed
can i really afford the time off when it comes ? i get all the information i need from this website so is it worth
going to the NHS have a hard time and can't drop everything just for one person i know that but more resources
are needed to help us diabetics .

LivingLoud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Things I should

I have spent the last 20 years working in marketing and adverting of food and drink. My clients have been the first names you'll think of in soft drinks, fast food, confectionery, snacks and groceries. Trust me it is not your fault..

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am newly diagnosed diabetic. I have diabetes on both sides of my family. Both my mum and dad were or are diabetic. I have other medical issues such as asthma, vitamin D deficiency, iron deficiency and perimenopause but I still feel people will judge me but not as much as I blame myself.

Reactions: SWUSA_

Talfryn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many dislikes,

I've replied to one of your posts elsewhere, Mart. You will never be cured of diabetes, but you can get good control over it, with a bit of effort and honesty.

Put the self blame behind you and begin to look forward. One day at a time! :D

Viv 8)
You are right, people are rude when they say that you have brought on the condition yourself through lack of exercise and being overweight. So many slim people have T2DM today. We must not beat ourselves up by peoples ignorance. Be strong, we have got diabetes, the diabetes has not got us. A merry Christmas to all on this site.

Reactions: hilmat01

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I can't help thinking I did eat a very high carb diet that included a lot of bread and rice on an almost daily basis. I do not however ,beat myself up over this. I'm very pragmatic, It is what it is!

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I was judged for being obese and I gave myself a very hard time when I was diagnosed.

But the more I read into insulin resistance the more I understood that I wasn't to blame. Radically changing my diet means that I am now overweight instead of obese. I'm delighted at how I have turned it all around.

Having said that, I still haven't the guts to tell my mother I have T2 as she was one of my harshest critics. Last time we met was just before my diagnosis, so when we do meet again I'll just smile sweetly if she comments about my weight loss and say nothing.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help thinking I did eat a very high carb diet that included a lot of bread and rice on an almost daily basis. I do not however ,beat myself up over this. I'm very pragmatic, It is what it is!
I ate a high carb with pasta, rice, potatoes and brown bread, low fat, low sugar diet with at least 3 portions of fruit a day Inc bananas and grapes because that was what I believed was healthy particularly as it was the same diet as my mother had been advised and she was T2 for years and progressed from tablets to insulin ( I know why now). However it didn't stop me getting T2 or being overweight but cutting carbs, eating full dat and taking medication for hypothyroid seems to have worked!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Please don't forget that there are those of us that are anomalies. I was marginally medically overweight for my height (the heaviest I have been), I do not yoyo diet, neither of my parents are diabetic ( the nearest relative is a distant cousin), I really tried to eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. On diagnosis a year ago the DN insisted that these were the only factors that could lead to T2 and that I was either in denial or lying to her. I should accept the medication, diet advice, accept that it was my fault and all downhill from here on. No support there. So I set out to do something for myself, bought a test kit, kept a food diary etc. all the stuff I have suggested to others.
Sitting at a Christmas meal with some colleagues on a course recently I was told that I do not fit the usual profile of someone with T2. When asked why I refused the alternative desert I was offered of fruit salad I told them that I just saw sugar but a portion of cheese would be fine (without the biscuits because I react to wheat flour) Yes I have lost weight, gradually, under a pound a week, am much fitter than I was and now know more about diet and exercise that suits me. That is what I like about this site. There is no judgement but plenty of encouragement, there is an acknowledgment that one size does not fit all but we each have to find our own way, that it is OK to be quiet rebel and do your own thing. I was lucky in catching it very early and so far have good readings without medication, just a change in lifestyle. My colleagues at work are supportive but this site has been wonderfully supportive too.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin for 6 weeks now after being diagnosed a type 2 diabetic. I have in 6 weeks lost a total of 1st 9lb in weight. I am a long time asthma sufferer. My GP moved me to the slow release Metformin about 7 days ago so the stomach pains I was getting before seemed to have gone. I am finding I am still every tired, poor concentration, blurry vision ( had eyes tested) and sometime I get sweaty. I rarely feel thirsty and I am not weeing much during the day or getting up in the night. My Vitamin D is non existent and my Iron levels are low. I am finding all this and a full time job in management a lot to deal with and find myself getting upset or crying at the drop of a hat. I am finding it hard when I need to take steroids for my asthma. I am aware of the side affects on my blood sugar. I just want to start feeling better not just a blubbering mess!!

Reactions: hilmat01

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gosh, the articles on here are so interesting and I feel for the people who are having a hard time, makes me realise how lucky I am that although I do have Type 2 I am somehow able to control it, with a 30 average of 6.8

Reactions: Angelofthemarches