Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I got diabetes from steroids I had to take as part for anti-rejection treatment following a kidney transplant (due to inherited kidney disease). I was warned that there was a risk of steroid induced diabetes prior to taking it but had little option. I had never had a problem with weight and my lifestyle had zero to do with my diabetes. I would make the same choice again as I would far rather have diabetes than be on dialysis four days a week. I would love to meet someone who told me it was my fault; it would be their fault that I smacked them in their judgemental, arrogant and stupid mouth. Love and kisses.

Flicey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, it's easy to play the blame game with yourself. I just had my bloods done a week ago and my level was 9.8. I've since then cut out all carbs except Weetabix 1 for breakfast. My fasting level this am before breakfast was 7.3. I am determined to keep going as I don't want the additional medication offered of Gliptins as the side effects seem worse than Diabetes. My practice said to me, "You do know it is a serious disease". Yes, I said, thinking of course I do, I am not stupid. I am also keeping a food diary and using this site to do the diet plan and logging my food online to see what nutrients, vitamins, carbs and calories I am using. It's not easy but I am determined not to increase my medication. I've chucked out anything from my freezer and cupboards that has carbs in it. It's drastic but well worth doing. Making my own soup too!

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Bertybean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I know that some Type 2's have a hard time because they think that because they are overweight that they brought this on themselves. I read one post here where the person thought that they were being punished for the sin of gluttony. :( :(
Stop being so hard on yourselves and don't fall into the trap that the media and uneducated people would like us to be in. It is not your fault and if you want to avoid the depression that often accompanies a diagnosis then you have to think positively about this chronic condition. Whether there is something you could have done earlier or not really does not matter now. You have this condition and you are not going to let it beat you. It is a hurdle that has been put into your path that you are going to jump over. If you decide to do all that you can to manage this condition there will be no place for blame and you will not be a victim but a survivor who can show others that there is a way forward.

I decided early on that diabetes may beat me but it won't be for lack of trying to master it and that is all that anyone can do, tame this beast to the best of your ability. Your HCP's may be the best or the worst that exist but they are not with you 24/7 and whether they are negative or positive in their care, you do all the hard work and they only see your results from the tests that they order. This is your baby and you are the one who looks after it.

A couple of articles here,

How to combat the stigma of Type 2 diabetes.
http://www.health.com/health/condition- ... _1,00.html
(Makes me sad to think this title would even have to exist).

Type 2 Diabetes. From old dogmas to new realities.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011 ... ealities-/
(This article explains that you may have been diabetic for years prior to diagnosis)

I really do hope that this will help some Type 2's move forward. We took a hard knock this week with the advertising campaign from Lloyds and we will be in the news again soon over another article that will surface but our revenge is to manage our diabetes to the best of our ability and let the ignorant people think what they like because one day some of them or their loved ones may walk in our shoes and then the reality of having Type 2 diabetes will hit them hard.

Bertybean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I know that some Type 2's have a hard time because they think that because they are overweight that they brought this on themselves. I read one post here where the person thought that they were being punished for the sin of gluttony. :( :(
Stop being so hard on yourselves and don't fall into the trap that the media and uneducated people would like us to be in. It is not your fault and if you want to avoid the depression that often accompanies a diagnosis then you have to think positively about this chronic condition. Whether there is something you could have done earlier or not really does not matter now. You have this condition and you are not going to let it beat you. It is a hurdle that has been put into your path that you are going to jump over. If you decide to do all that you can to manage this condition there will be no place for blame and you will not be a victim but a survivor who can show others that there is a way forward.

I decided early on that diabetes may beat me but it won't be for lack of trying to master it and that is all that anyone can do, tame this beast to the best of your ability. Your HCP's may be the best or the worst that exist but they are not with you 24/7 and whether they are negative or positive in their care, you do all the hard work and they only see your results from the tests that they order. This is your baby and you are the one who looks after it.

A couple of articles here,

How to combat the stigma of Type 2 diabetes.
http://www.health.com/health/condition- ... _1,00.html
(Makes me sad to think this title would even have to exist).

Type 2 Diabetes. From old dogmas to new realities.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011 ... ealities-/
(This article explains that you may have been diabetic for years prior to diagnosis)

I really do hope that this will help some Type 2's move forward. We took a hard knock this week with the advertising campaign from Lloyds and we will be in the news again soon over another article that will surface but our revenge is to manage our diabetes to the best of our ability and let the ignorant people think what they like because one day some of them or their loved ones may walk in our shoes and then the reality of having Type 2 diabetes will hit them hard.
I am sorry to disagree but I do believe that being overweight and not active was the main factors in myself personally becoming T2 diabetic.
Nobody else in my family and I have 7 siblings has diabetes but they are all slimmer and more active than me.

Frank357

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 and I am confident that it was lifestyle triggered.

But I see that as a good thing (loosely speaking) as it puts the responsibility for managing the disease mainly into my own hands. Generally I have found it easier to deal with my own messes.

I don't like having diabetes but I would hate to have it for reasons completely outside my control as, I imagine, many people have.

Reactions: DJC3 and Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Undoubtedly lifestyle choices can impact on your chances of getting T2. However, some modern lifestyles are not so much a matter of choice but of necessity, for example the critical role of computer-based jobs and professions. Some lifestyle choices scream T2 but the person has no signs of even slightly raised bg, even though they have had that life for many years, e.g a friend of mine: she's overweight, does no exercise at all and her diet seems to consist of bread, biscuits, chocolate and vast quantities of hot chocolate with mountains of marshmallows. Bg, bp, cholesterol? All resoundingly normal. Of course this may change, but it goes to show how hugely complex our bodies are.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure if this video has been posted before (a search couldn't find it, apologies if it has) but I has just been sent to me by a low-carber friend who has lost 6.5st (and counting) and gone from pre-diabetes to normal bg. Apart from the fact that he is easy on the eye ;) I found his talk interesting. The 'uppercut' moment for me was his assertion that one bad night's sleep has the same effect of six months of junk food. One night?? Try weeks of bad nights! I know so many people who have difficulty in sleeping (and others have mentioned it on the Forum) and, coupled with stress (I've had a few years of almost constant background stress), what he says reinforces the OP's plea not to get involved in the blame game. It also reinforces my view that our modern society has an awful lot to answer for....

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the point was to remind us all that no matter how we got to be type 2 isn't important, it's how we face the situation, & blaming yourself won't help - be positive and do whatever you can to try to manage the condition.

Reactions: Fiona29 and geefull

Amberleigh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This thread has lifted me today. Had a rubbish Hb1AC 85 up from 74 in October. Was 48 last year. I know my doctor wants to put me on Merformin but I so wanted to control it with diet and exercise. I’m pondering if getting a test kit is a good idea.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This thread has lifted me today. Had a rubbish Hb1AC 85 up from 74 in October. Was 48 last year. I know my doctor wants to put me on Merformin but I so wanted to control it with diet and exercise. I’m pondering if getting a test kit is a good idea.

Indeed, get yourself a glucose monitor. It is probably the best piece of kit you could buy with regards to T2.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Would anyone know the best place to find one and what type?

If you put your question in the 'Ask A Question' section of the forum you will get ideas and possibly money off voucher codes. I use the Codefree glucometer as their strips seem to be about the cheapest.

cocobee.2017

I'm not sure if this video has been posted before (a search couldn't find it, apologies if it has) but I has just been sent to me by a low-carber friend who has lost 6.5st (and counting) and gone from pre-diabetes to normal bg. Apart from the fact that he is easy on the eye ;) I found his talk interesting. The 'uppercut' moment for me was his assertion that one bad night's sleep has the same effect of six months of junk food. One night?? Try weeks of bad nights! I know so many people who have difficulty in sleeping (and others have mentioned it on the Forum) and, coupled with stress (I've had a few years of almost constant background stress), what he says reinforces the OP's plea not to get involved in the blame game. It also reinforces my view that our modern society has an awful lot to answer for....
Omg! this is a new discovery for me. I haven't slept well in YEARS. And here's me thinking weight loss was only diet + exercise! No wonder i hv struggled. Thanks for sharing

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Shift workers are vulnerable due to disturbed sleeping patterns and disjointed meal times.
Poor nurses and hospital drs. They are vulnerable too.
Stress is huge accomplice too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for sharing that I enjoyed watching it. If only I had listened to this guy two decades ago, still, I mustn't lose hope, I am prediabetic + I have this chance to reverse it
Go girl!

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Liver damage may not be a complication o f diabetes, but taking all drugs for diabetes, worse than useless statins, blood pressure meds, the liver stores them all, as it doesn't know how to deal with them,as it does not recognise these chemicals as food. That leads to liver cancer. My husband died because of this. Was not discovered till he was stage 4.an LFT test may have saved him, so make sure you DO get this checked regularly. It was very aggressive, nothing could be done for him.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Liver damage may not be a complication o f diabetes, but taking all drugs for diabetes, worse than useless statins, blood pressure meds, the liver stores them all, as it doesn't know how to deal with them,as it does not recognise these chemicals as food. That leads to liver cancer. My husband died because of this. Was not discovered till he was stage 4.an LFT test may have saved him, so make sure you DO get this checked regularly. It was very aggressive, nothing could be done for him.
Just had a repeat scan and liver is showing fatty but all other organs are fine.
I need to do a fatty liver detox, asap. Thank you for reminder. I'm sorry about your husband. I'm hoping because I don't drink alcohol it will help, do you know?

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As soon as we both found out we had diabetes, we stopped drinking. The only way to get rid of fatty liver is to lose weight. Your body will first use your fat in other places.then it will start using the extra fat accumulated round your liver and pancreas. When thin enough, and you can then pass your "tipping point," and reverse your diabetes. I have lost 4stone so far, byand waiting for this to happen..Hope this helps you...

Reactions: flexi06