1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by catherinecherub, Jun 17, 2011.

1. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got diabetes from steroids I had to take as part for anti-rejection treatment following a kidney transplant (due to inherited kidney disease). I was warned that there was a risk of steroid induced diabetes prior to taking it but had little option. I had never had a problem with weight and my lifestyle had zero to do with my diabetes. I would make the same choice again as I would far rather have diabetes than be on dialysis four days a week. I would love to meet someone who told me it was my fault; it would be their fault that I smacked them in their judgemental, arrogant and stupid mouth. Love and kisses.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Flicey

Flicey Type 2 · Newbie

Yes, it's easy to play the blame game with yourself. I just had my bloods done a week ago and my level was 9.8. I've since then cut out all carbs except Weetabix 1 for breakfast. My fasting level this am before breakfast was 7.3. I am determined to keep going as I don't want the additional medication offered of Gliptins as the side effects seem worse than Diabetes. My practice said to me, "You do know it is a serious disease". Yes, I said, thinking of course I do, I am not stupid. I am also keeping a food diary and using this site to do the diet plan and logging my food online to see what nutrients, vitamins, carbs and calories I am using. It's not easy but I am determined not to increase my medication. I've chucked out anything from my freezer and cupboards that has carbs in it. It's drastic but well worth doing. Making my own soup too!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Dump the weetabix ... full of sugars. A little wake up call. Then see the improvement :)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Bertybean

Bertybean Type 2 · Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bertybean

Bertybean Type 2 · Member

I am sorry to disagree but I do believe that being overweight and not active was the main factors in myself personally becoming T2 diabetic.
    Nobody else in my family and I have 7 siblings has diabetes but they are all slimmer and more active than me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Frank357

Frank357 · Member

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 and I am confident that it was lifestyle triggered.

But I see that as a good thing (loosely speaking) as it puts the responsibility for managing the disease mainly into my own hands. Generally I have found it easier to deal with my own messes.

I don't like having diabetes but I would hate to have it for reasons completely outside my control as, I imagine, many people have.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly lifestyle choices can impact on your chances of getting T2. However, some modern lifestyles are not so much a matter of choice but of necessity, for example the critical role of computer-based jobs and professions. Some lifestyle choices scream T2 but the person has no signs of even slightly raised bg, even though they have had that life for many years, e.g a friend of mine: she's overweight, does no exercise at all and her diet seems to consist of bread, biscuits, chocolate and vast quantities of hot chocolate with mountains of marshmallows. Bg, bp, cholesterol? All resoundingly normal. Of course this may change, but it goes to show how hugely complex our bodies are.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this video has been posted before (a search couldn't find it, apologies if it has) but I has just been sent to me by a low-carber friend who has lost 6.5st (and counting) and gone from pre-diabetes to normal bg. Apart from the fact that he is easy on the eye ;) I found his talk interesting. The 'uppercut' moment for me was his assertion that one bad night's sleep has the same effect of six months of junk food. One night?? Try weeks of bad nights! I know so many people who have difficulty in sleeping (and others have mentioned it on the Forum) and, coupled with stress (I've had a few years of almost constant background stress), what he says reinforces the OP's plea not to get involved in the blame game. It also reinforces my view that our modern society has an awful lot to answer for....

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. ToveyKath

ToveyKath Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think the point was to remind us all that no matter how we got to be type 2 isn't important, it's how we face the situation, & blaming yourself won't help - be positive and do whatever you can to try to manage the condition.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Amberleigh

Amberleigh Type 2 · Member

This thread has lifted me today. Had a rubbish Hb1AC 85 up from 74 in October. Was 48 last year. I know my doctor wants to put me on Merformin but I so wanted to control it with diet and exercise. I’m pondering if getting a test kit is a good idea.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Indeed, get yourself a glucose monitor. It is probably the best piece of kit you could buy with regards to T2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Amberleigh

Amberleigh Type 2 · Member

Would anyone know the best place to find one and what type?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

If you put your question in the 'Ask A Question' section of the forum you will get ideas and possibly money off voucher codes. I use the Codefree glucometer as their strips seem to be about the cheapest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. cocobee.2017

cocobee.2017 · Well-Known Member

Omg! this is a new discovery for me. I haven't slept well in YEARS. And here's me thinking weight loss was only diet + exercise! No wonder i hv struggled. Thanks for sharing

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Shift workers are vulnerable due to disturbed sleeping patterns and disjointed meal times.
    Poor nurses and hospital drs. They are vulnerable too.
    Stress is huge accomplice too.

16. cocobee.2017

cocobee.2017 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that I enjoyed watching it. If only I had listened to this guy two decades ago, still, I mustn't lose hope, I am prediabetic + I have this chance to reverse it

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Go girl!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. solu1956

solu1956 Type 2 · Member

Liver damage may not be a complication o f diabetes, but taking all drugs for diabetes, worse than useless statins, blood pressure meds, the liver stores them all, as it doesn't know how to deal with them,as it does not recognise these chemicals as food. That leads to liver cancer. My husband died because of this. Was not discovered till he was stage 4.an LFT test may have saved him, so make sure you DO get this checked regularly. It was very aggressive, nothing could be done for him.

• Hug Hug x 2
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Just had a repeat scan and liver is showing fatty but all other organs are fine.
    I need to do a fatty liver detox, asap. Thank you for reminder. I'm sorry about your husband. I'm hoping because I don't drink alcohol it will help, do you know?

20. solu1956

solu1956 Type 2 · Member

As soon as we both found out we had diabetes, we stopped drinking. The only way to get rid of fatty liver is to lose weight. Your body will first use your fat in other places.then it will start using the extra fat accumulated round your liver and pancreas. When thin enough, and you can then pass your "tipping point," and reverse your diabetes. I have lost 4stone so far, byand waiting for this to happen..Hope this helps you...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook