Dose changes during lockdown

pamod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using levemere background insulin on a split dose for many years 14 at night 14 in the morning. Then nova rapid when I eat.
Trying to be good for last 2 months as I have my hba1c tomoz. I have cut out a lot of white carbs and sticking to a healthy evening meal no alcohol. But just lately going to bed on a 8 and waking up at around 5am on a 3.4 too low for me I don’t know why. I have been having vivid dreams during lockdown...
I have thought about reducing my night time background insulin down anyone else had this I don’t want to eat a biscuit before bed as trying to keep weight even

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disturbed sleep usually increases blood glucose in the morning, so it probably isn't the issue. Try shifting some of that evening dose to the morning and see what happens. You just have to test-and-measure. Make a small change and test to see what the effect is. Change only one thing at a time and keep everything else the same.

I have made various changes over the years. It seems our daily basal insulin action requirement profile changes as we age. I was finding that I was going low at night even when I was injecting all my Lantus in the morning. Because Lantus takes 6+ hours to get up to speed, I was also going high in the morning. I fixed it by reducing the morning Lantus and injecting some Actrapid at the same time. It is an unusual insulin protocol, but it works perfectly for me.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My night time and waking doses of levemir are different. I completed a carb-free dinner to check my blood sugars stayed level with my night-time dose.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @pamod :)

As you've had a pattern of low events then it indicates too much basal overnight - speak to your nurse if you're not comfortable adjusting this yourself, however bear in mind the heat affects our insulin requirements, I personally need to drop mine by about 20% during events like the past few days, so if it is affected by heat then of course it will need to be adjusted again once we get cooler weather, it's a right pain but just something else to be mindful of.