1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

dry peeling skin on feet and hands

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by lucylocket61, Nov 19, 2020.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all, as some of you know, I have long covid (7 months-ish)

I have developed dry flaking peeling skin on my feet and the palms of my hands, and wonder if it could be related to higher blood sugar levels due to covid, or anything other?

I havent had such dryness before. It started coming on around 4 weeks ago, in patches. Not itching, or red.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. jane d

jane d Type 2 · Member

I had this when I had cysts in my pancreas. Settled down after surgery . Also high blood glucose, and tiredness. One palm peeled completely.

3. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about this @lucylocket61, no helpful suggestions, just hope it clears sooner.
    Any creams to help?

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Lucy - I'm an odd bod, so this may simply not be in your world, but I can have dry peeling skin on my hands, when I handle too much break.

As someone strictly gluten- free, I conclude this is a gluten issue. I'm sure you can appreciate why I could comment on feet.

I hope you get to the bottom of things.

5. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have had peeling skin on the palms of my hands a few times over the years - never really thought too much about it just got some steroid cream and it cleared up in a few days.

Come to think of it I probably have some peeling skin on the soles of my feet just now which I am assuming is just because I haven't moisturised them for a few days and I have had dry skin also sensitive skin for as long as I can remember. I have to moisturise every day.

But if you are concerned phone your GP/nurse for advice or re-assurance - may be I should be more concerned about mine?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

thankfully, its not got to my bottom yet : )))))

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

.......... every cloud ..... ;);) :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting... I suddenly got flaky feet loooooong before any of this T2 malarky and at the time I actually put it down to suddenly joining a new gym and figured it was my reaction to the chlorine.

I never even thought about it as part of any condition and it has never gone, even though I gave up my gym membership a long time ago, so now... you have me wondering....!

9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Ever the optimist - could it actually be a good sign?
    If the skin beneath is not too new and pink to really be exposed to the world, have you been happily renewing skin cells for a little while and the old, overlong retained layer is coming off?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook